Tipping

Itoero

What do you think about tipping people in restaurants or coffeeshops?

When I traveled through Canada and USA I only tipped when the service was very good...not very often.

I tipped when my drink got refilled or if the waitresses were pretty women/girls with an open decolleté.

Why would I tip a person only for bringing my food from the kitchen?

It's imo a way for the boss to pay its servants less...which keeps tipping alive.

In some countries, you tip because the servants do not get payed sufficiently (or at all, in some places). So by not tipping in those countries, you are really only punishing the servants. It can even be seen as very insulting if you tip too little or not at all.

In Belgium I also never tip. Waiters get paid decently enough here.

What do you think about tipping people in restaurants or coffeeshops?

When I traveled through Canada and USA I only tipped when the service was very good...not very often.

I tipped when my drink got refilled or if the waitresses were pretty women/girls with an open decolleté.

Why would I tip a person only for bringing my food from the kitchen?

It's imo a way for the boss to pay its servants less...which keeps tipping alive.

Yes, it is a way to pay people less. Is it ethical to not follow local custom? Especially when not following the local custom means people live below the poverty level?

Is it ethical to tip women only because they look good to you, i.e. treat them as objects instead of as human beings?

As mentioned above, it depends on the country. As I understand it, in the US waiters get payed a minimal amount, so tips are their actual salary. In this case, I agree that tipping is the ethical thing to do.

However, it's not like this everywhere around the world.

For example, in Croatia, waiters earn the normal pay amount, just like any regular job. You really don't have a reason to tip, yet it is still part of the culture. Because of this, waiters actually earn A LOT more money than other regular workers. I personally just leave some coins which I don't really care to pick up, but I wouldn't go out of my way to tip a high amount.

Yes, it is a way to pay people less. Is it ethical to not follow local custom? Especially when not following the local custom means people live below the poverty level?

Is it ethical to tip women only because they look good to you, i.e. treat them as objects instead of as human beings?

It's indeed not really ethical.

It's imo less ethical not to pay your servants enough.

And customers can't choose the waiters or waitresses they get...

And in fastfoodrestaurants you are not supposed to tip people, so people that work in fastfoodrestaurants live in poverty?

And in fastfoodrestaurants you are not supposed to tip people, so people that work in fastfoodrestaurants live in poverty?

They generally get paid minimum wage, or near to it, so yes, they live below the poverty level. Unless they work a second job. The federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. 2000 hours means $14,500 a year (gross, in both senses of the word). You need to work another half-time job just to get above the poverty level for a 3-person family.

I think service suffers for people from stereotypically nontipping regions. One of those things that cuts both ways.

Have been wondering, what do people do outside the US if they receive service that is mediocre(if not outright lousy)?

Edited by Endy0816

I think service suffers for people from stereotypically nontipping regions. One of those things that cuts both ways.

Have been wondering, what do people do outside the US if they receive service that is mediocre(if not outright lousy)?

We either just live with it, or complain to management. It would have to be pretty bad for me to complain. Generally speaking, I don't think the standards are as high here in your typical mid tier restaurant. So long as the right order comes out in a timely fashion, then it's all good. I've noticed that in the US, service staff tend to be more welcoming and friendly than you normally would see here.

I've certainly never hesitated to tip while in the US, especially after having seen how difficult was for a friend of mine to make ends meet working 4 + days a week delivering food during college. It is not an easy life. He was paid $4 per trip plus whatever he made in tips. That sometimes meant he made barely enough to cover fuel. A similar level job here would earn me over $20 / hour, with double time on Sunday and time and a bit on Saturday. I could earn enough in a weekend to meet all of my bills during high school and Uni.

We don't have high standards for service and care almost exclusively about the quality of the food. Extremely long waiting times can be a cause for complaints, but that's not necessarily the waiter's fault.

In fact, when going to the US, it can be a bit annoying how often you get asked whether everything is ok. I'm used to be left alone while eating. I'll signal them when I need something. :)

In general, when not happy with a restaurant, we don't go there next time. There is plenty of other places to go.

I figure I can't be generous enough to servers to compensate for the pittance paid by their employers, so I tip to please myself. Everyone gets at least 15% (I can't think of the last time a server was so bad I didn't give them anything, and I would never leave an "insult tip" in coin). If you did a good job I tip 18%, and if you were outstanding somehow I kick in an extra five or ten bucks. I do it because it makes me feel good. I know the server really needs it, because the system treats them like dirt, but I've found I'm more generous when I view tipping as something that brightens my day, rather than as charity for a deserving but underpaid worker. Weird maybe, but it works for me.

In fact, when going to the US, it can be a bit annoying how often you get asked whether everything is ok. I'm used to be left alone while eating. I'll signal them when I need something. :)

One of the cheesiest, most awful touristy restaurants in Denver has a system I wish more places would emulate. You can get a busy server to stop by your table by raising a decorative flag on your table. Leave it down if you don't wish to be disturbed. I mention this because while it's wonderful to have a server who respects that my meal conversation is important, when I actually do need service I have to split my attention between my companion and looking for the server to signal them.

Absolutely right...

Tipping ( and most charitable donations ) isn't a genuine concern for the waiter/waitress. If it were I'd help them find a better job.

Its a way to feel good about myself for doing an insignificant deed.

I find it extremely irritating that, in Canada ( Ontario ) we have a minimum wage standard yet restaurant employees can be paid less than that standard because they can make up the difference in tips.

Incidentally Swansont, I know quite a few young waitresses/bartenders who earn more in an 8 hr shift tending bar than my equivalent daily salary. But then again I'm an old man who gets paid for what he knows and does; they get paid for being charming, witty, personable and good looking, something neither I ( nor you I suspect ) are able to do.

Who is to say that's right or wrong ?

They generally get paid minimum wage, or near to it, so yes, they live below the poverty level. Unless they work a second job. The federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. 2000 hours means $14,500 a year (gross, in both senses of the word). You need to work another half-time job just to get above the poverty level for a 3-person family.

The whole system is messed up in the USA.

What people earn should not be dependent on external factors (tipping customers) and the minimum wage should go up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_by_country

Those things increase and feed the wealth inequality.

The whole system is messed up in the USA.

What people earn should not be dependent on external factors (tipping customers) and the minimum wage should go up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_by_country

Those things increase and feed the wealth inequality.

While I tend to agree, it is not up to any one person to dictate the customs of a country or region.

Yeah, I've been taught to leave a good tip for people if they're friendly/nice. I once went to a restaurant on Christmas eve, and saw a waiter trying to wait on tables and keep her young child behaving by sitting quietly in the corner. Nobody seemed to be tipping her because she didn't refill drinks until directly pulled aside, and even then took a while to get back. When we left, since it was only 4 of us and the meal wasn't too expensive, I gave a 150% tip(about $70) with a note that said Merry Christmas.

I don't always tip just because they're nice or good to me. Sometimes they seem like they really need it. Christmas Eve, probably a single mom, with no baby sitter, and having to wait on more tables then one can easily do, she needed it.

Is it ethical to simply tip the server if they give you high quality service or are eye candy to you? Sometimes your best simply isn't enough. And you protesting them getting paid so little by making sure they get paid even less doesn't seem very ethical to me, regardless how you frame it.

There is a lot to be said for a minimum wage, and a basic income threshold before paying any tax. As mentioned above tipping is different globally, I have found some cultures take offence at being offered tips. In others particularly in north America and more commonly now in Europe it is expected. In addition to this in tourist spots the locals expect a tip from tourists, where as the locals rarely pay a tip for service. A disturbing development I found in the states last time I was there was the introduction of tipping envelopes for hotel cleaners. The price paid for a bed for the night is generally expensive already, to be expected to pay a tip on top is infuriating, and I think is tantamount to aggressive begging, to think that the cleaners aren't being paid properly. Tipping in Brazil, can involve tipping the waiter staff, and tipping beggars that walk in off the street and place there hand in front of your face whilst your eating, with the waiter staff standing by and watching. 10 years ago I only tipped for good restaurant service but on visiting America was shocked to talk to people and find they were earning less than minimum wage and expected to make a living from tips, including bar staff. I do not think that the tipping culture is a good thing, to me it is like having people coming up and grovelling whilst serving you, and it is demeaning. The idea that you pay extra for good service, should be included in the bill. If a business cant pay the minimum wage, it shouldn't be employing staff, and expecting them to make a living from tips when there are no customers. Obviously in a thriving business where tipping is common place, staff can earn a lot from tips, but in a failing business they don't.

I once read a travel guide to Belgium which said it is customary to leave a 10-15% tip, while most locals don't tip at all, or at best round up.

Yes in lots of places in the world tourists don't know that it is not customary to tip, and that people are given a fair wage for their work. They assume that a tip is required as it is in their own culture, to allow the workers to make a living. I have found travelling there is sometimes two prices, particularly in south America, where the restaurants have a menu priced for locals and another for tourists, who also leave a tip, whereas the locals don't.

Edited by Handy andy

We either just live with it, or complain to management. It would have to be pretty bad for me to complain. Generally speaking, I don't think the standards are as high here in your typical mid tier restaurant. So long as the right order comes out in a timely fashion, then it's all good. I've noticed that in the US, service staff tend to be more welcoming and friendly than you normally would see here.

I've certainly never hesitated to tip while in the US, especially after having seen how difficult was for a friend of mine to make ends meet working 4 + days a week delivering food during college. It is not an easy life. He was paid $4 per trip plus whatever he made in tips. That sometimes meant he made barely enough to cover fuel. A similar level job here would earn me over $20 / hour, with double time on Sunday and time and a bit on Saturday. I could earn enough in a weekend to meet all of my bills during high school and Uni.

We don't have high standards for service and care almost exclusively about the quality of the food. Extremely long waiting times can be a cause for complaints, but that's not necessarily the waiter's fault.

Huh. Okay, thanks.

Do wonder sometimes, how people handle similar situations elsewhere.

In fact, when going to the US, it can be a bit annoying how often you get asked whether everything is ok. I'm used to be left alone while eating. I'll signal them when I need something.

May be unintentionally signalling; empty glass, plate, basket, etc.

A disturbing development I found in the states last time I was there was the introduction of tipping envelopes for hotel cleaners. The price paid for a bed for the night is generally expensive already, to be expected to pay a tip on top is infuriating

You really should have been tipping the housekeepers before that... I think people not realizing is why hotels started putting out the envelopes.

I can receive tips when I transport guests and don't find it demeaning in the slightest. I get a nice enough paycheck as well, but definitely appreciate when a guest rewards me personally for providing a service they value.

Does let workers partly get around the restriction on working that minimum wage places, so I'm pretty neutral as to whether it being factored into minimum wage is really all that bad. Promoting a living wage would be a ton better honestly.

Edited by Endy0816

In the USA I often visited a restaurant/bar where one waiter always asked: "Can I keep the change?"

He never got to keep anything...regardless of the service.

Edited by Itoero

I have worked in a job where you can receive tips. It was a caddying job where we acted as caddies for the local members and were also a bit like tour guides to the foreign visitors. The BEST tippers that regularly proved their great reputation for tipping well were the Americans. Definitely the best tippers! They were also some of the nicer people to caddy for - probably because they were on holiday/vacation and wanted to have a good time - so they would mess about more and engage in banter and conversation more. Building a rapport worked well with them too and usually got us higher tips.

Some guys from the USA actually tipped in multiple amounts of what the going rate for a round was too. This was awesome... one guy paid me (asking how much it was per round) and I hadn't even caddied for him - I had carried his mate's clubs round, but had given him a couple of tips and found his ball a couple of times... I told he didn't need to pay me, but he insisted! More Americans please!

The worst (Sorry but it was true in my experience) were the Scotts... twice I have built a great rapport with the player and they played really well and won money... when they paid they gave me a large wad of notes! When I got back to my car to check the notes (Impolite to do it in front of them) it was a 20 wrapped around a load of 5s and just covered the going rate for a round with no tip... I guess people from different countries get reputations for a reason. (the Japanese run a very close second - no tips at all, but very courteous... and at least they don't pretend to give you a tip lol.)

You really should have been tipping the housekeepers before that... I think people not realizing is why hotels started putting out the envelopes.

Since the word "cleaners" was used, I took it to be an envelope you'd attach to clothes you wanted cleaned or pressed, or shoes shined. I don't use those services much when I travel, but it wouldn't occur to me to tip the dry cleaner/launderer. I'd assume they were paid better, but I'd tip the person who brought the clothes back to my room.

The housekeepers always get tipped $2/day/bed in cash, which I put on the bed so they know it's for them. That's got to be a total drudge job, mostly neutral and mundane, but also full of crabby travelers at their most put out, and only saved by the really nice people who like to enjoy instead of nitpick, and treat you like a person instead of a caricature of wealthy person's maid.

I always tip at least 20%, my oldest son worked as a waiter through college and they get paid less than half minimum wage. The tips are generally shared by all the staff around here so tipping does indeed reward everyone on the wait staff.

• 5 weeks later...

As I understand it, in the US waiters get payed a minimal amount, so tips are their actual salary.

It's a little complicated in the US. Tipped workers are minimum wage workers. Excluding tips for a moment, they make the same as any other job that pays minimum wage. Being in the class of tipped employees, the tips make things a little weird.

The employer is allowed to use a certain amount of the tips as a credit against the wages, within limits. There's a maximum that the employer can use of the tips as wages.

If the employer's minimum contribution plus the tips do not at least equal the minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference.

If the employer's minimum contribution plus the tips do at least equal the minimum wage, the employee gets to keep the extra (though it is be subject to tax).