GPS positioning systems.

Handy andy

I think I was going down the line of asking what could block or interfere with gps signals, and Swansont asked what heats the atmosphere to 2000C,

If you are going down any particular line of questioning, it's not obvious to anyone else.

I asked that because you had already said, with no prompting, that at 2000 ºC you readily break down and ionize water. We've come to the conclusion that if you are in a nuclear strike or being hit by lightning, you will see GPS interruptions, which I think of surprise to nobody.

If you are going down any particular line of questioning, it's not obvious to anyone else.

I asked that because you had already said, with no prompting, that at 2000 ºC you readily break down and ionize water. We've come to the conclusion that if you are in a nuclear strike or being hit by lightning, you will see GPS interruptions, which I think of surprise to nobody.

Could a volcano interrupt gps. Not answered

Could a nuclear war affect gps. Answered

How long would the loss of GPS last for due to nuclear war or serious volcanic activity? any ideas.

Could a small scale nuclear war render all GPS guidance systems useless? Could a super volcano do the same?

Could the navies of the world still navigate the worlds oceans with out GPS guidance and charts? Do any any of them still practice with sight reduction tables, and sextants. Would the whole global telecommunications systems be knocked back into the dark ages by a nuclear war or super volcano.

Does anyone have any none obtuse thoughts on this, that might actually be interesting.

Edited by Handy andy

The eyja volcano eruption in 2010 had no measurable effect on GPS in the UK.

The royal navy still trains officers in non GPS navigation.

I suspect that distant from the blast there would be no impact. For most uses the ionosphere doesn't change the signal measurably so a complete removal or significant enhancement would not change it much.

From vlf propagation experiments when nuclear tests were happening we know that whilst the ionosphere b is modified it's not too the point where GPS would be effected.

High level nuclear explosions are intended to produce an electromagnetic pulse to knock out electronics on the ground. If they can do that then they can knock out electronics of satellites, even if they don't produce enough signal degradation to cause a loss of the GPS signal through ionization of the atmosphere via gamma rays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-altitude_nuclear_explosion

I know the Royal Navy still do sextant including semaphore. Do bigger Navies still practice older methods of navigation. The Indian navy will most definitely after the GPS signal was blocked by the US a few years back, after a little disagreement.

GPS satellites are at orbits of about 20000 km that would be one hell is an emp to affect them. If you are using emps to destroy electronics as your GPS interference method then destroy the receivers. But then you can achieve the same effect with a hammer.

GPS satellites are at orbits of about 20000 km that would be one hell is an emp to affect them. If you are using emps to destroy electronics as your GPS interference method then destroy the receivers. But then you can achieve the same effect with a hammer.

https://en.wikipedia...clear_explosion

A hammer is probably simpler, shooting a nuclear missile at satellites in medium earth orbits, will interrupt their transmissions. Do the world governments have early warning systems for things bumping into their satellites and exploding next to them ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite

Maybe low earth orbit satellites will be damaged by High altitude nuclear explosions. Iridium phones Satellite TV and the likes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Earth_orbit

If you are just going to launch something to take out the satellites that's not a terribly interesting discussion.

LEO isn't part of this discussion about GPS.

If you read all the links on GPS thread there is not much left to discuss for someone with only a passing interest in the subject.

The GPS discussion would be more interesting if those who claim to have worked on developing it, were to discuss the way it will develop in the future or any vulnerabilities in the system, however there is such a thing as confidentiality agreements etc that would most likely restrict them from posting anything of interest.

Do you have something interesting to post yourself.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for from this thread.

If you want to know people's thoughts on future navigation or time keeping networks I'd suggest starting a new thread on that.

You might also find it interesting to read about the omega and alpha navigation networks of yesteryear.