Are there some countries where people work less than 8 hours in day? Like 4 to 6 hours in day?

nec209

Born in Cocoa Beach FL. Raised all over but I've been in or near Florence Al for a long time now.

And BTW I work 60 hours (more or less) per week and​ enjoy most of them. The few hours I don't enjoy are really bad.

:) My work these days is in the "okay" category. Some of it entertains, but some of it is sort of "crank turning." I'm really a small company guy at heart, and have done a couple of stints as VP of engineering at small companies here in the Houston area. But in 2012 the small company I was working for was bought by IBM. They dangled key person money that made it unthinkable to leave, but brought in their own management and the inevitable red tape and inefficiency. It's okay but not mightily fulfilling by any means. But I don't have too many years to go to retirement. I don't worry at all about boredom during retirement - I have a huge list of things to fill the time with.

Examples of jobs that you gave, some device builders, are IMHO examples of intellectual work.

Especially if projects are designed by them and each one is unique.

That requires a lot of thinking about how to solve problems.

Actually I had couple projects as carpenter recently in this and previous year.

I started them from designing in 3D modeling computer application to visualize everything prior starting cutting planks..

Thinking how to successfully join two or more pieces of wood without using screws, nails nor glue.

It took days and weeks of thinking how to do it properly.

Example of such joint.. if you're interested.

I think it's bad for person, if he/she can't find peace outside of workplace.. It disallows fully rest after work and enjoy free time..

Edited by Sensei

I think it's bad for person, if he/she can't find peace outside of workplace.. It disallows fully rest after work and enjoy free time..

indeed, it's not the number of hours worked, it's the satisfaction gained from the number of hours lived.

Examples of jobs that you gave, some device builders, are IMHO examples of intellectual work.

Especially if projects are designed by them and each one is unique.

That requires a lot of thinking about how to solve problems.

Exactly, I think most of fall somewhere in between intellectual and laborer. I'm probably pretty close to the middle.

Actually I had couple projects as carpenter recently in this and previous year.

I started them from designing in 3D modeling computer application to visualize everything prior starting cutting planks..

Thinking how to successfully join two or more pieces of wood without using screws, nails nor glue.

It took days and weeks of thinking how to do it properly.

Example of such joint.. if you're interested.

Yeah pretty neat, similar to a dovetail joint I have used building cabinets. Only with a dovetail you do need a little glue.

If you're talking about being contacted after hours I agree and have been put in that situation.

I was referring more to thinking about how to work out a problem and of course sometimes the reverse is true I've started a small shed and sometimes it's on my mind at work. I think I'll stick to my cordless drill and screws tho.

indeed, it's not the number of hours worked, it's the satisfaction gained from the number of hours lived.

Yeah I agree but also if you like what you do it's not really work.

I work a rotating 12 hour shift (I'm at work right now) and I'm only required to work 3 days one week (36 hours) and 4 days the next (48) but I usually work 1 or 2 of my off days. If I didn't enjoy the job I probably wouldn't. We actually have on our crew a 55 year old single man who works 6 to 6 Mon thru Sat. That's 84 hours a week and he doesn't do it for the money. There's just nowhere else he would rather be.

:) My work these days is in the "okay" category. Some of it entertains, but some of it is sort of "crank turning." I'm really a small company guy at heart, and have done a couple of stints as VP of engineering at small companies here in the Houston area. But in 2012 the small company I was working for was bought by IBM. They dangled key person money that made it unthinkable to leave, but brought in their own management and the inevitable red tape and inefficiency. It's okay but not mightily fulfilling by any means. But I don't have too many years to go to retirement. I don't worry at all about boredom during retirement - I have a huge list of things to fill the time with.

Yeah maybe 9 years till I retire if everything goes well. And as much as I enjoy what I do I look forward to it. Like you I am not concerned about boredom at all.