Are there some countries where people work less than 8 hours in day? Like 4 to 6 hours in day?

nec209

Any studies say people are less sick, miss less work, have less heath problems and less stress and less burn out?

I think some EU countries have 6 hours a day? Where in the US it is 8 hours a day and some even 10 hours a day in the US.

In Japan and China it normally 10 to 16 hours in a day.

The Danish supposedly have the shortest working week... but after a quick search it seems different sites claim different hours ranging from 31 to over 40 hours per week. I read somewhere that they were rated up the as one of the 'happiest' countries in the world, with a high min wage and large holiday entitlements and low work hours.

I think commute is a major factor when calculating a work weeks and attempting to relate it to illness and workdays missed. I work with people that have round trip commutes of over 2 hours. That turns ordinary 40hr work weeks into 50 plus hour work weeks. I live in walking distance to my job. I am far more willing to Saturday late, come in early, and work extra days than my co-workers who have commutes.

Primary school teaching is about 6 hours a day then you have christmas and summer off.

But the teachers typically work another two or more hours a day preparing lessons, writing and grading tests, etc. And they "have Christmas and summer off" only in the sense that they get laid off. They are not paid vacations!

And they "have Christmas and summer off" only in the sense that they get laid off. They are not paid vacations!​

They get paid here over the summer.

But the teachers typically work another two or more hours a day preparing lessons, writing and grading tests, etc.

That's what they say but really you won't have tests every week and most schools here have 30 children and it takes like 10 seconds to grade each test.

That's what they say but really you won't have tests every week and most schools here have 30 children and it takes like 10 seconds to grade each test.

I sense a gross exaggeration of the ease of grading, along with a staggering underappreciation of what it takes to deal with any 30 human beings, much less children.

I sense a gross exaggeration of the ease of grading, along with a staggering underappreciation of what it takes to deal with any 30 human beings, much less children.

Yes.

I teach Sunday school. Keeping 15 kids in check is hard enough.

They get paid here over the summer.

A 10 question multiple choice test might just be gradable in 10 seconds. Anything longer or more complicated is going to take considerably longer. Also, 30 children in the entire school? In the entire grade? In a class?

What I don't understand is why a specific number of hours worked is equal to a satisfactory days work?

I believe, he's trying to advocate for higher pay with less hours on the basis that "I'll be happier, less stressed, and healthier"

You're missing my point, for instance, I worked 2 hours today and was very satisfied with my output, not only that but that work earned me enough to feed me and mine for the next few days.

So I don't need to work tomorrow.

I believe, he's trying to advocate for higher pay with less hours on the basis that "I'll be happier, less stressed, and healthier"

That was my point about commuting. I see a lot of my co-workers giving up a lot of their travel just to sit in traffic. It clearly wears on them phycology as the mere suggestion of changes to the daily schedule is enough to give a few what seems like a near nervous breakdown.

That's "what they say" because it's true.

Go ask a teacher.

People doing true intellectual work, are often all the time in work, as they think about problems they experienced in their projects even when they are far away from regular workplace.

Edited by Sensei

The US ,UK and Canada also have more part time jobs than any country in the world.

But now days in the US ,UK and Canada people are working longer hours and even weakens are not strange then that was one before.

• 2 weeks later...

People doing true intellectual work, are often all the time in work, as they think about problems they experienced in their projects even when they are far away from regular workplace.

Hi Sensei

Most of the time I really like your posts but wow is this one condescending.

I am just a run of the mill maintenance guy at my factory and no one would ever mistake me for a "true intellectual" but I spend a lot of my free time thinking of projects at work.

I actually enjoy my job and the challenges it provides.

Without me and millions of others doing what we do the "true intellectuals" would be busy fixing the toilet instead of making the breakthroughs we all enjoy so much.

I don't think he meant it in a condescending way. I think he meant to say:

''People think only the physical workers do the true work, but I think that intellectual workers can get just as stressed''

So he didn't diss workers like you, he just elevated intellectual workers (like him?). I think.

I agree - it didn't seem condescending to me. Often people whose work involves the application of their minds are viewed as "not really working" by people whose work is more physical. That's flawed reasoning - the common factor in both cases is that the person offers something that's considered valuable enough to pay for. So there's really no difference whatsoever between physical and intellectual labor in that sense.

Look guys I am sure you don't mean to be but you are in fact insulting a large portion of the population. Boilermakers, electricians, plumbers, carpenters​, and people like me have all these skills and many more use both mind and body to get our jobs done. Sensei's mistake IMO was to assume that only intellectuals work on problems in their head while at home or whatever. I can assure you that is untrue. I'm am working on a water reclimation project right now and thinking on it is how I put myself to sleep at night. And it's not stressful it is something I enjoy.

On the other hand you both seem to think there are two kinds of people in the world, those who work from the neck up and those who use from the neck down. Almost nobody is really like that.

Edited by Outrider

And I am glad you feel that way. That's not the problem. The problem is assuming people work one way or another when most of us use both. Intelligence and physical labor.

But yes I should have said it the first time. Thank you for valuing all the contributing members of our society I do feel the same way. We are all needed.