Perception of plant life

AbnormallyHonest

I would just like to ask a question I have not been able to find an answer for. Do plants interfere with the waveform during a double slit experiment? Does chlorophyll effect a change equivalent to a measurement? I apologize in advance if the answer to this question is common wisdom.

I assume you're asking because of the observer causing the probability wave to collapse, otherwise known as the observer effect? Let me make one thing clear, there is no reason to think or assume that consciousness has anything to do with this phenomenon. With that in mind, whether it were a plant or a human doing the observing, it wouldn't matter. I should say it shouldn't matter, but I know of no reason why plants would make any more of a difference in the double slit experiment over other means, that being said I know of no research on the matter to direct you towards.

If I am wrong in my interpretation of your question, I am happy to correct my response or otherwise retract anything I have said here.

I would just like to ask a question I have not been able to find an answer for. Do plants interfere with the waveform during a double slit experiment? Does chlorophyll effect a change equivalent to a measurement? I apologize in advance if the answer to this question is common wisdom.

No plants do not interfere with the double slit anymore than any other specific material. The interference is due to slit size vs light path.

Lets clarify quantum observable as defined under QFT. In order to cause kinetic motion on even the smallest known particles theoretical or otherwise. You require a minimal amount of energy of 1 quanta of energy. This kinetic motion can be treated under "action".

Now there are always two types of interfence. (constructive, destructive). Waveforms that combine are constructive. Waveforms where the sum energy is less than the combination of the two is destructive.

Under QFT this forms your creation/annihiation operators. Virtual particles have less than a quanta of energy so cannot cause action.

Well, not to any larger degree than any other type of matter. The chloryphyll content is not a factor. Why would it be? And it's the dimensions of the slits in ratio to the beam path, the vector, that causes the interference you're thinking of.

Edited by Velocity_Boy

I would just like to ask a question I have not been able to find an answer for. Do plants interfere with the waveform during a double slit experiment?

Only if it badly needs pruning because it is getting in that way of the experimental apparatus.

(We have a general gardening thread.)

No plants do not interfere with the double slit anymore than any other specific material. The interference is due to slit size vs light path.

Lets clarify quantum observable as defined under QFT. In order to cause kinetic motion on even the smallest known particles theoretical or otherwise. You require a minimal amount of energy of 1 quanta of energy. This kinetic motion can be treated under "action".

Now there are always two types of interfence. (constructive, destructive). Waveforms that combine are constructive. Waveforms where the sum energy is less than the combination of the two is destructive.

Under QFT this forms your creation/annihiation operators. Virtual particles have less than a quanta of energy so cannot cause action.

I believe that chlorophyll doesn't collapse the waveform because that is how a plant "sees" the light... as energy. It doesn't make a measurable and discrete physical change in the physical world.

I believe that chlorophyll doesn't collapse the waveform because that is how a plant "sees" the light... as energy. It doesn't make a measurable and discrete physical change in the physical world.

What you believe is wrong.

An observation is, by definition, an interaction.

Any interaction causes collapse.

So, if a plant interacts, it causes collapse.

( does not imply plants have consciousness )