about Monsanto

Itoero

To summarise: international safety guidelines regarding glyphosate are based on studies executed by Monsanto. Monsanto then payed reputable scientists to put their names on the publications.

Of course, Monsanto denies this.

Other studies show that glyphosate is carcinogenic.

It is like tobacco and asbestos etc...

If true, it is obviously despicable.

From what I know about Monsanto.

-They are an agricultural firm.

-Soy beans

That is all.

They use GMO's and like any other agricultural firm, they want to yield the maximum amount of crop each year. So they use pesticeds and what-not.

Edited by NimrodTheGoat

I think the most worrisome bit in recent times is that worked at suppressing findings with links between glyphosate to cancer, apparently with some collusion with an EPA official (a bit difficult to tell as most was based on comments in emails). But at minimum it casts doubt on a 2000 study. However, apparently other agencies have taken a closer look after that event and found that the link is currently too weak to be verified. Further studies and and some panel reviews largely agree that the observed molecular pattern do not fit what is traditionally known to be associated with genotoxicity nor does the epidemiological data. A synthesis of current research suggests that the effect is overall low, though more data (including the use of body fluids) could bring more insight.

The overall issue is the influence of companies can have over research, which, in my mind, can only be counterbalanced by a host of independent researchers to verify (or invalidate) claims. The issue there being that funding could be a controlling factor.

They use GMO's and like any other agricultural firm, they want to yield the maximum amount of crop each year. So they use pesticeds and what-not.

The thing is, they don't grow crops. But farmers do, who buy GMO seeds and then need to buy pesticides. From Monsanto.

Edited by Strange

In Belgium a massive amount of bees died mostly because of a pesticide from Bayer.

It seems that this counts for Europe and USA.

Things like this, make my blood boil.

http://grist.org/article/2011-01-21-top-usda-bee-researcher-also-found-bayer-pesticide-harmful/

This is the insecticide which is probably the main cause for the decline of honey bee colonies in Europe and North America observed since 2006.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imidacloprid

Edited by Itoero

In Belgium a massive amount of bees died mostly because of a pesticide from Bayer.

It seems that this counts for Europe and USA.

Things like this, make my blood boil.

http://grist.org/article/2011-01-21-top-usda-bee-researcher-also-found-bayer-pesticide-harmful/

This is the insecticide which is probably the main cause for the decline of honey bee colonies in Europe and North America observed since 2006.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imidacloprid

I would phrase it a bit more carefulky. It is suspected to be one of the causes, but the research implicates several other potential factors in colony collapse disorder (CCD). These factors include a range of common parasites (such as mites and viruses), for example. These factors appear to be more likely to be the determining factor and to have been replicated in several countries (France, Germany, USA, Canada, but I have not seen the Belgian study, do you have a citation?). From what I read a current hypothesis is that neonicotinoid pesticides can make them bees more vulnerable to other stress factors, but the data does not support the notion of it being the sole source. The good news is that many countries have limitations or bans in the pipeline (and in France the use on certain crops have been banned since the late 90s).

Edited by CharonY

From what I know, Monsanto is not there to produce better/more harvests nor to feed the planet population.

It is a money maker business geared to make money and more money from whatever product family they can push into the farmers, either seeds, pesticides... and if the farmers and consumers bite the hooks, better.

I would phrase it a bit more carefulky. It is suspected to be one of the causes, but the research implicates several other potential factors in colony collapse disorder (CCD). These factors include a range of common parasites (such as mites and viruses), for example. These factors appear to be more likely to be the determining factor and to have been replicated in several countries (France, Germany, USA, Canada, but I have not seen the Belgian study, do you have a citation?). From what I read a current hypothesis is that neonicotinoid pesticides can make them bees more vulnerable to other stress factors, but the data does not support the notion of it being the sole source. The good news is that many countries have limitations or bans in the pipeline (and in France the use on certain crops have been banned since the late 90s).

This paper shows the induction of vitellogenin (increased because of neonicotinoid) suggests adverse effects on foraging activity, whereas creb and pka down-regulation may be implicated in decreased long-term memory formation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26990785

I found a paper where they tested neonicotinoidon on some bees but I can't refind it.

If neonicotinoidon makes bees more vulnerable for stress, is it possible that effects of global warming increase the effect of neonicotinoidon ?

In Canada (mostly in B.C.) the mountain pine beetle increased severely in number and killed many trees, mostly due to the warming climate. Perhaps other pathogens which can harm bees, increased in number as well.

This paper shows the induction of vitellogenin (increased because of neonicotinoid) suggests adverse effects on foraging activity, whereas creb and pka down-regulation may be implicated in decreased long-term memory formation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26990785

I found a paper where they tested neonicotinoidon on some bees but I can't refind it.

If neonicotinoidon makes bees more vulnerable for stress, is it possible that effects of global warming increase the effect of neonicotinoidon ?

In Canada (mostly in B.C.) the mountain pine beetle increased severely in number and killed many trees, mostly due to the warming climate. Perhaps other pathogens which can harm bees, increased in number as well.

It is well known that bees react to neonicotinoids. The actual question is how large the impact is at common concentrations and whether these effect can explain CCD by itself. There are a few groups who champion that line, mostly based on model hives, but it is somewhat contested by people who base their data on field work.

Global warming cannot increase the effect of a chemical per se. But if you are wondering whether climate change can be an additional factor leading to CCD, I am not sure whether data is anywhere near conclusive. There has been some speculation that CO2 levels could affect plant physiology, and hence the nutrient source for bees. But evidence is at best preliminary. Another thing to consider is that is often observed by loss of bees through the winter. It is possible that changes in weather patterns could contribute, but again, afaik no definitive answers from this area either.