Premature birth causes homosexuality

Heterogenic

"A higher proportion of the adults born prematurely without neurosensory impairments also were likely to identify as bisexual or homosexual."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3606430/The-curse-premature-baby-born-early-earn-worse-health-later-life.html

"The study also found that 9 percent of those born early identified as gay or bisexual versus 2 percent of those born at term, and 21 percent were virgins compared with 2 percent of those born at term."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/consumer.healthday.com/pregnancy-information-29/premature-birth-news-774/extreme-preemies-often-have-lifelong-challenges-711250.html

"More adults in the premature group also reported being homosexual or bisexual than in the term group, although its not clear why that would be and the sample of people in this study was relatively small, she said."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-preemies-adulthood-idUSKCN0YE257

Well, to claim that premature birth causes homosexuality is a bit brusque and exaggerating. But unlike a post we got here a short while back that claimed dirt caused it, I admit that personally I find this hypothesis to contain some merit. At least enough to warrant further study.

I say this because my favorite current hypothesis on a biological prenatal disposition to homosexuality is the one that postulates the effects of a hormonal wash that the fetus undergoes during the third trimester. And I believe it is late in the final trimester, which would bring it very close to coinciding with a premature birth.

Thanks for this, I'm going to research it some.

In the mean....This nih link expands a bit on the pre birth endocrinal hypothesis I mentioned above.........

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296090/

Edited by Velocity_Boy

Quoting from that joke of a newspaper should be made illegal. Note that they deliberately confuse "premature" and ELBW (< 1 kg at birth). The sample is only 100 adults who were ELBW, and they then try to draw some general conclusions. Yet more Daily Mail rubbish.

From an evolutionary point of view it imo makes a lot of sense.

Prematurely born infants have more risk on health problems...they are on average less suited to 'start a family' and predisposed to nurture their nieces and nephews as a way of helping to ensure their own genes get passed down to the next generation.

This is 'the gay uncle theory'.

Richard Dawkins explains it in this video.

Edited by Itoero

The digestive tract is intended for food

Evolution often makes alternative use of features.

We all have lips,

These are intended to be used for speaking sensibly, but as we can see they can also be put to an alternative use.

...The digestive tract is intended for food....

So, now we are getting to your real agenda. I bet at least 10% of women like having, or have had, their bottoms played with too as well as some of the 10% of men who are gay.... and here we are, it's actually 36%:

18lp2b93n9tkupng.png

Edited by StringJunky

This would then be the gay prematurely born uncle theory.

The gay uncle theory is about an uncle or aunt which is gay and therefor does not have children and can help raising his nieces and nephews.

A prematurely born person with health problems will most of the times have no children, which also allows it to help raising nieces and nephews....that's imo why prematurely born infants have a higher chance of becoming gay.

A prematurely born person with health problems will most of the times have no children, which also allows it to help raising nieces and nephews....that's imo why prematurely born infants have a higher chance of becoming gay.

That's the weirdest non sequitur I've seen for a long time. Why does not having children and having health problems increase the chance of being gay?

This would then be the gay prematurely born uncle theory.

The gay uncle theory is about an uncle or aunt which is gay and therefor does not have children and can help raising his nieces and nephews.

I back up DrKrettin; the hell kind of nonsense is that? I wasn't born prematurely, I don't have major health problems. Now fill in the blanks.

I don't like your causation either, btw: 'therefore' implies the certainty of not having children when being gay. Which is not the case.

Edited by Function

It is hypothetically possible that the same gene simultaneously increases the probability of being gay and of being born prematurely, but I haven't seen convincing evidence of that.

Wording it as one being the cause of the other is silly.

That's the weirdest non sequitur I've seen for a long time. Why does not having children and having health problems increase the chance of being gay?

Having health problems and/or being gay reduces your chance of having offspring. Without offspring you have a lot of spare time and you can protect and help raise nieces and nephews which indirectly increases the chance that your genes will survive.

Therefor it's very logic that health problems because of prematurely birth and being gay are linked.

I back up DrKrettin; the hell kind of nonsense is that? I wasn't born prematurely, I don't have major health problems. Now fill in the blanks.

I don't like your causation either, btw: 'therefore' implies the certainty of not having children when being gay. Which is not the case.

Prematurely born infants have a higher chance of being gay but the chance is still rather small.

And premature birth and having health problems are obviously not the only reasons for being gay.

It is hypothetically possible that the same gene simultaneously increases the probability of being gay and of being born prematurely, but I haven't seen convincing evidence of that.

Wording it as one being the cause of the other is silly.

You should not think in term of 'cause'.

It's all about survival.

Take a lion pride as example.

In a 'normal' pride, young males will become interested in the females of the pride and start to rebel.

The alpha male(s) will chase them away.

When young males are gay, they will not be interested in the females of the pride and will probably not rebel. The alpha male(s) will not chase them away and they can help protect the pride and help raise nieces and nephews.(this is the gay uncle theory)

When males are born with health problems or are weaker then their siblings then they can't survive long on their own and don't have the strength to start a pride...so it's in their best interest to remain in the pride. In order for those males with health problems to remain in the pride, they can't rebel or show interest in females or they will be chased away and can even be killed. So it's in their best interest to be gay.

Imo a long evolutionary process cause being gay to be related to having health problems.

Having health problems and/or being gay reduces your chance of having offspring. Without offspring you have a lot of spare time and you can protect and help raise nieces and nephews which indirectly increases the chance that your genes will survive.

Therefor it's very logic that health problems because of prematurely birth and being gay are linked.

So your argument is

1) Having health problems because of premature birth reduces your chance of having offspring

2) Being gay reduces your chance of having offspring

Therefore because both have the same result, there is a "link" between having health problems and being gay

With total validity you could then argue

1) Not eating can cause death

2) Playing Russian roulette can cause death

Therefore not eating will cause you to play Russian roulette.

:confused:

It amazes me what some people think is "logic".

Yep. That's a weird non-sequitur.

When males are born with health problems or are weaker then their siblings then they can't survive long on their own and don't have the strength to start a pride...so it's in their best interest to remain in the pride. In order for those males with health problems to remain in the pride, they can't rebel or show interest in females or they will be chased away and can even be killed. So it's in their best interest to be gay.

It may be "in their interests" to be gay, but by that stage, either they were born gay r they were born straight.

It's too late to do a lot about it.

So your idea fails.

Also, if your idea was correct then any form of long term health problem- say asthma- would be associated with homosexuality- and it isn't.

It may be "in their interests" to be gay, but by that stage, either they were born gay r they were born straight.

It's too late to do a lot about it.

So your idea fails.

Also, if your idea was correct then any form of long term health problem- say asthma- would be associated with homosexuality- and it isn't.

If it happens often that prematurely born lions die because they are straight then prematures have a higher risk of surviving when they are gay. The genes that cause premature birth will then (indirect) have a chance of surviving.

Prenatal hormones may be seen as the primary determinant of adult sexual orientation, or a co-factor with genes, biological factors and/or environmental and social conditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prenatal_hormones_and_sexual_orientation

"If it happens often that prematurely born lions die because they are straight"

That's a mighty big if.

It only works if there's some intrinsic- prenatal- link.

If that link exists then you don't need some external factor like alpha male lions.

"If it happens often that prematurely born lions die because they are straight"

That's a mighty big if.

It only works if there's some intrinsic- prenatal- link.

If that link exists then you don't need some external factor like alpha male lions.

The lions is just an example.

It's known that prenatal hormones are determinant (there are other factors of course) for adult sexual orientation. So logic dictates a prematurely born infant, or when something went 'wrong' during pregnancy has a higher chance of becoming gay.

The fact that prenatal hormones(there are other factors of course) are determinant for adult sexual orientation also evolved via survival of the fittest.

It's known that prenatal hormones are determinant (there are other factors of course) for adult sexual orientation. So logic dictates a prematurely born infant, or when something went 'wrong' during pregnancy has a higher chance of becoming gay.

You use the word "logic" but clearly you have no idea what it means, if you can use it in a total non sequitur like this.