Photo
- - - - -

Modern diet and stress cause homosexuality?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Itoero

Itoero

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 675 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

Does it even matter?

I think it's interesting (pure scientific) to know that modern diet can increase (or decrease) the chance of homosexuality via prenatal stress. But it indeed doesn't really matter. Homosexuality is not a negative effect. There are lot of negative effects caused by modern diet+lifestyle.
There are some things so serious you have to laugh at them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to find out how Nature is. Physics concerns what we say about Nature.

#22 Function

Function

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 817 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:37 PM

I think it's interesting (pure scientific) to know that modern diet can increase (or decrease) the chance of homosexuality via prenatal stress. But it indeed doesn't really matter. Homosexuality is not a negative effect. There are lot of negative effects caused by modern diet+lifestyle.

Hadn't seen you're from Belgium, too!

"Interesting (pure scientific)" ... But why? Why would you - physics aside - want to know something that doesn't matter in the end and of which trying to change it would pose great ethical problems?

A professor of ours who taught us principles of scientific methodology always said that he has 1 favourite question he always asks at the defence of Master's theses, after the "defendants" have concluded their results:

"So what?"

Implying the need for relevance.

Knowing that modern diet or stress would influence the outcome of sexual orientation in a foetus, a child, an adult - what's the point?

I'm not saying that we should live peacefully forever in ignorance, but why should we waste resources on pointless research?

Edited by Function, 26 May 2017 - 07:40 PM.

So I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them.

But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there.

We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

– Steven Chobsky in The Perks of Being a Wallflower

#23 Itoero

Itoero

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 675 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

Hadn't seen you're from Belgium, too!

"Interesting (pure scientific)" ... But why? Why would you - physics aside - want to know something that doesn't matter in the end and of which trying to change it would pose great ethical problems?

A professor of ours who taught us principles of scientific methodology always said that he has 1 favourite question he always asks at the defence of Master's theses, after the "defendants" have concluded their results:

"So what?"

Implying the need for relevance.

Knowing that modern diet or stress would influence the outcome of sexual orientation in a foetus, a child, an adult - what's the point?

I'm not saying that we should live peacefully forever in ignorance, but why should we waste resources on pointless research?

I just think extra scientific knowledge is always a good thing. Without this topic ( and another concerning this subject) I would not have looked into this matter.
This is where most of my science related knowledge comes from. I always look into the subject matter of a thread....Most of my knowledge (which is very limited :-) ) comes from Wikipedia, pubmed and arxiv.

I found an interesting link.
-In women, diabetes 1 can cause (indirect) a drop in testosterone.
-Pregnant women(I suppose the diet is an important issue) can create Gestational Diabetes .
"Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM), or high blood sugar during pregnancy, used to be relatively rare, occurring in about 3 percent to 4 percent of pregnancies. But in recent years, the rate has doublednow, up to 6 percent to 8 percent of moms-to-be are diagnosed with this prenatal complication"
https://www.fitpregn...lth/sugar-shock
It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to find out how Nature is. Physics concerns what we say about Nature.

#24 Function

Function

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 817 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:47 PM

I just think extra scientific knowledge is always a good thing. Without this topic ( and another concerning this subject) I would not have looked into this matter.
This is where most of my science related knowledge comes from. I always look into the subject matter of a thread....Most of my knowledge (which is very limited :-) ) comes from Wikipedia, pubmed and arxiv.

I found an interesting link.
-In women, diabetes 1 can cause (indirect) a drop in testosterone.
-Pregnant women(I suppose the diet is an important issue) can create Gestational Diabetes .
"Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM), or high blood sugar during pregnancy, used to be relatively rare, occurring in about 3 percent to 4 percent of pregnancies. But in recent years, the rate has doublednow, up to 6 percent to 8 percent of moms-to-be are diagnosed with this prenatal complication"
https://www.fitpregn...lth/sugar-shock

See the difference? Those things are clinically relevant.

So I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them.

But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there.

#25 Itoero

Itoero

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 675 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

See the difference? Those things are clinically relevant.

Yes I do but why is clinical relevance important?
Asking for relevance is like asking for more colorful pictures when you read a book.

Many things in science look irrelevant, future will tell what becomes relevant.

Where in Belgium do you live?
It can get 33°C today, where I live.

Edited by Itoero, 27 May 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#26 Function

Function

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 817 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

Yes I do but why is clinical relevance important?

Justified distribution of resources.

Where in Belgium do you live?
It can get 33°C today, where I live.

About in the centre of East-Flanders. Not having a thermometer right here, Google indicates 32 °C atm.

#27 Itoero

Itoero

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 675 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:06 PM

Justified distribution of resources.

This is completely off-topic but then why are people still spending resources gathering evidence for the evolution theory while there is already a huge amount of evidence? That's a waste of resources?

Edited by Itoero, 27 May 2017 - 06:09 PM.

#28 Itoero

Itoero

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 675 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted Yesterday, 11:26 AM

The interesting stuff is imo not the link between modern diet/stress and homosexuality but the (prenatal and postnatal) effect of modern diet/stress on the growth and inner working of nuclei in the hypothalamus (INAH3 and SDN) which are known to be causal related to homosexuality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users