oppression

mantraphilter

I work for a Community Based Organisation that is mainly concerned with setting up early learning schools (ECD), microfinance for women's groups in poor villages, advice and help for small farmers and advising and helping youth groups. My jobs include designing school buildings, writing and producing books (in Swahili) for young children and keeping the computer system up and running. I don't think any of it benefits the rich in any way whatsoever.

What career isn't supporting oppression?? Name any career where you aren't working to make the rich richer or keep their place in society.

Contract negotiator and legal support for international shipping company (me)

Oh .. isn't supporting oppression, my bad. (and yes I am ashamed but I also really like my job and my colleagues so I live with it)

I was on a job site the other day and met the home owner. He told me he was a magistrate. The only think I could think was, so- for a career path you chose oppression.

The only people "oppressed" by magistrates are criminals. But I suppose, if you don't believe in public safety and the rule of law ...

I work for a Community Based Organisation that is mainly concerned with setting up early learning schools (ECD), microfinance for women's groups in poor villages, advice and help for small farmers and advising and helping youth groups. My jobs include designing school buildings, writing and producing books (in Swahili) for young children and keeping the computer system up and running. I don't think any of it benefits the rich in any way whatsoever.

Most of those things will improve the standard of living of those directly affected. Schools, for example, generally ensure tat people are better educated.

They will be able to get better jobs.

They will pay more tax.

Rich people will often benefit directly from the tax and they will benefit indirectly by, for example, being able to rely on a better educated workforce.

It's a matter of perspective.

I don't have a problem with rich people benefiting.

Sadly, all to often they are the only ones to benefit- and that is a problem

People who draw salaries in local state and federal government have their own economy. Their wages are increased as inflation goes up. Their salaries are adjusted to the so called taxes that are drawn out of their paycheck. They live comfortable lives and can afford summer cottages and education for their children. Nepotism increases the gap between their society and the rest of the citizens. This is all done under the guise of government laws. Anyone who disagrees is drawing a government salary.

...Their wages are increased as inflation goes up...

Anyone who disagrees is drawing a government salary.

If that's true then the real world must be on a government salary.

https://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/2015/jul/08/pay-cap-public-servants-budget-2015

Why did you post something which is obviously wrong?

Did you believe what Fox news told you or something?

• 2 weeks later...

you must be getting a fat government paycheck.

Considering how this magistrate had to spend thousands of dollars of his own money to get himself through college + law school I would hope he would be able to make that money back. After all, what's wrong with making good money if you worked hard for it?