5 replies to this topic

#1 geordief

geordief

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

http://www.bbc.com/n...onment-39642992

"Physicists have created a fluid with "negative mass", which accelerates backwards when pushed."

Seems like it might be a big science story. Is it?

Anyone care to  comment?

Edited by geordief, 19 April 2017 - 01:08 PM.

#2 Strange

Strange

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 12,425 posts
  • Location珈琲店

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

There is a good (but short) discussion of this on another forum (https://forum.cosmoq...Negative-masses)

The key point is that is is negative effective mass, not really negative mass. Effective mass is shown by a number of things, including for example "holes" in semiconductors (where an electron is missing and so you get a virtual positive charge carrier). 

#3 imatfaal

imatfaal

lazy do-nothing mudslinger

• Moderators
  • 7,478 posts
  • LocationSt James's Park

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:52 PM

A negative effective mass can be realized in quantum systems by engineering the dispersion relation. A powerful method is provided by spin-orbit coupling, which is currently at the center of intense research efforts. Here we measure an expanding spin-orbit coupled Bose-Einstein condensate whose dispersion features a region of negative effective mass. We observe a range of dynamical phenomena, including the breaking of parity and of Galilean covariance, dynamical instabilities, and self-trapping. The experimental findings are reproduced by a single-band Gross-Pitaevskii simulation, demonstrating that the emerging features—shock waves, soliton trains, self-trapping, etc.—originate from a modified dispersion. Our work also sheds new light on related phenomena in optical lattices, where the underlying periodic structure often complicates their interpretation.

https://journals.aps...Lett.118.155301

A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again.

- Alexander Pope

feel free to click the green arrow  ---->

#4 swansont

swansont

Evil Liar (or so I'm told)

• Moderators
  • 36,067 posts
  • LocationWashington DC region

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:55 PM

Say you have a helium-filled balloon in a car (I've also seen this done with a cork suspended in a jar of water). When the car accelerates, the balloon accelerates in the opposite direction, relative to the car. One might describe the balloon as having negative mass  — but that's just a way of modeling the behavior, like (as Strange said) modeling a hole in a semiconductor.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum          To go to the fortress of ultimate darkness, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

My SFN blog: Swans on Tea                                                           

#5 geordief

geordief

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

Say you have a helium-filled balloon in a car (I've also seen this done with a cork suspended in a jar of water). When the car accelerates, the balloon accelerates in the opposite direction, relative to the car. One might describe the balloon as having negative mass  — but that's just a way of modeling the behavior, like (as Strange said) modeling a hole in a semiconductor.

If the car accelerates wrt a stationary observer what does the helium balloon wrt the same observer?  Accelerate less in the same direction?

#6 swansont

swansont

Evil Liar (or so I'm told)

• Moderators
  • 36,067 posts
  • LocationWashington DC region

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

If the car accelerates wrt a stationary observer what does the helium balloon wrt the same observer?  Accelerate less in the same direction?

Yes, I believe so.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum          To go to the fortress of ultimate darkness, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

My SFN blog: Swans on Tea                                                           

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users