Death being final impacts our value as human beings

MattMVS7

That's the value you choose to attach to our situation. Others choose differently. There isn't a 'right' answer.

Very true, good answer!

This really did bring a tear to my eye. I don't know what to say.

I love this planet, I love the creatures on it, including humans. I see myself as a caretaker, part of a species that gave up claws and fur for greater intelligence, and are striving to figure out how best to utilize the improvements our intelligence is capable of bringing about. We get a longer life than many creatures, and we're smart enough to figure out ways to extend that even more. I'm content that I'm having my impact on this life in a positive, nurturing, beneficial way, and I'm striving to correct what seems destructive to me.

And I think I feel this way in large part because I know I won't be here forever.

You old softy you!

I tend to be a person who looks at the big picture. I am unable to focus on small things without looking at the big picture. Just think about this for a moment. There are people in unfortunate areas of the world who die within the first few days of birth. They never get the chance to live to fully cherish this life. They just die shortly after immense suffering and that is it for them. How is there any value in that? How does such a life possess any value?

How does such a life square with your idea of new age value? Why would that happen if there was something special about us? We live and die, just like every other living creature on this planet. We are social creatures, if there is anything special about us it has to do with making things better for our society and the people who inhabit it.

Look at wolves, wolves arguably have a similar sense of self and duty to that self but they also display, much like we do, a sense of duty to each and other and their pack. It's why dogs and humans get along so well, loyalty and duty to each other and the greater good is why we have accomplished so much.

What happens to me after I die is meaningless and to say it's somehow more important than what i do while i am alive is very self centered and counter productive to the greater good of humankind..

How does such a life square with your idea of new age value? Why would that happen if there was something special about us? We live and die, just like every other living creature on this planet. We are social creatures, if there is anything special about us it has to do with making things better for our society and the people who inhabit it.

Look at wolves, wolves arguably have a similar sense of self and duty to that self but they also display, much like we do, a sense of duty to each and other and their pack. It's why dogs and humans get along so well, loyalty and duty to each other and the greater good is why we have accomplished so much.

What happens to me after I die is meaningless and to say it's somehow more important than what i do while i am alive is very self centered and counter productive to the greater good of humankind..

You claim it is self-centered. Well, I have been diagnosed with narcissist personality disorder and I am also a psychopath. However, I do not go around harming and torturing others since I would never do that. I am a kind and respectful person despite my disorders. Also, as I mentioned earlier, please read my previous post since it explains my whole predicament.

You claim it is self-centered. Well, I have been diagnosed with narcissist personality disorder and I am also a psychopath. However, I do not go around harming and torturing others since I would never do that. I am a kind and respectful person despite my disorders. Also, as I mentioned earlier, please read my previous post since it explains my whole predicament.

I did read it, I would suggest you continue to take your medication...

I did read it, I would suggest you continue to take your medication...

There is no treatment for those mental disorders since they are untreatable. I don't think there is any treatment out there either that can restore my good feelings. I don't think there is any treatment for anhedonia.

There is no treatment for those mental disorders since they are untreatable. I don't think there is any treatment out there either that can restore my good feelings. I don't think there is any treatment for anhedonia.

Get help from a doctor, a science forum is not the place to seek medical help...

I am only having a discussion regarding this topic I have made.

But it's not really a discussion when you've boxed it in the way you have. Your only conclusion is that life has no meaning without eternity. So now everyone else tells you how to find meaning so you can shoot them down. That's not a discussion.

But it's not really a discussion when you've boxed it in the way you have. Your only conclusion is that life has no meaning without eternity. So now everyone else tells you how to find meaning so you can shoot them down. That's not a discussion.

All I am saying here is that my experience of my good feelings are the only experiences that give my life value and I don't have them. You and others might say that there are other experiences out there besides these feelings that can give my life a real quality of value, worth, joy, and beauty. But this has not been my personal experience. I am not convinced of such a claim. This all ties in with the eternal blissful afterlife since I would need that life to give my life value and worth since it would be the only life where I can have these good feelings again.

Edited by MattMVS7

All I am saying here is that my experience of my good feelings are the only experiences that give my life value and I don't have them. You and others might say that there are other experiences out there besides these feelings that can give my life a real quality of value, worth, joy, and beauty. But this has not been my personal experience. I am not convinced of such a claim. This all ties in with the eternal blissful afterlife since I would need that life to give my life value and worth since it would be the only life where I can have these good feelings again.

So you have had these feelings but now do not?

This really did bring a tear to my eye. I don't know what to say.

I love this planet, I love the creatures on it, including humans. I see myself as a caretaker, part of a species that gave up claws and fur for greater intelligence, and are striving to figure out how best to utilize the improvements our intelligence is capable of bringing about. We get a longer life than many creatures, and we're smart enough to figure out ways to extend that even more. I'm content that I'm having my impact on this life in a positive, nurturing, beneficial way, and I'm striving to correct what seems destructive to me.

And I think I feel this way in large part because I know I won't be here forever.

Wow...That is a great turn of a phrase!....(we are) "a species that Gave up claws and fur for greater intelligence." Did you just make that up? Very eloquent. You could get that published, seriously. And you made a good point as well.

@MattMV.......Like Phi and SJ have said, just because there probably is not an Afterlife....Though there could be....Does not automatically render this physical life meaningless. The world and especially your circle of friends and family, coworkers, peers, even acquaintances, would not be the same without you. Your Sphere of Influence, if I may use an old political term. There are many things in this life to enjoy, and in the long run I think it's the so called small things. The Epicurean Philosophy has always been my favorite, for the very reason you think life is not worth living. To me, your ethos is totally opposite and diametrically opposed to mine, the Epicurean thought. Which of course us to enjoy life to the fullest, indulge yourself, and whatever brings happiness and enjoyment is the right choice. Mind you this is not advocating unbridled hedonism.

It is true what some psychologists say about a self fulfilling prophecy, I believe. Your attitude and outlook on a circumstance will usually bring about results that are aligned or in accordance with it. So, hopelessness, angst, and pessimism will a!Most always ensure a life filled with those very things, as well as their by products. While optimism, frivolity, confidence, altruism, and most of all hopeful curiosity about others and your surroundings will always bring the fruits of those traits. Which is fulfillment and happiness. Sounds a tad trite, I know. But attitude is everything. The human mind and your own personal condition can be....Will be...Either your greatest ally if your most pernicious enemy.

So now I get a chance to offer my favorite parable ever. Since it deals with exactly what we are discussing here. I hope you enjoy it.......

http://www.oneyoufeed.net/tale-of-two-wolves/

Edited by Velocity_Boy

Wow...That is a great turn of a phrase!....(we are) "a species that Gave up claws and fur for greater intelligence." Did you just make that up? Very eloquent. You could get that published, seriously. And you made a good point as well.

@MattMV.......Like Phi and SJ have said, just because there probably is not an Afterlife....Though there could be....Does not automatically render this physical life meaningless. The world and especially your circle of friends and family, coworkers, peers, even acquaintances, would not be the same without you. Your Sphere of Influence, if I may use an old political term. There are many things in this life to enjoy, and in the long run I think it's the so called small things. The Epicurean Philosophy has always been my favorite, for the very reason you think life is not worth living. To me, your ethos is totally opposite and diametrically opposed to mine, the Epicurean thought. Which of course us to enjoy life to the fullest, indulge yourself, and whatever brings happiness and enjoyment is the right choice. Mind you this is not advocating unbridled hedonism.

It is true what some psychologists say about a self fulfilling prophecy, I believe. Your attitude and outlook on a circumstance will usually bring about results that are aligned or in accordance with it. So, hopelessness, angst, and pessimism will a!Most always ensure a life filled with those very things, as well as their by products. While optimism, frivolity, confidence, altruism, and most of all hopeful curiosity about others and your surroundings will always bring the fruits of those traits. Which is fulfillment and happiness. Sounds a tad trite, I know. But attitude is everything. The human mind and your own personal condition can be....Will be...Either your greatest ally if your most pernicious enemy.

So now I get a chance to offer my favorite parable ever. Since it deals with exactly what we are discussing here. I hope you enjoy it.......

http://www.oneyoufeed.net/tale-of-two-wolves/

Please refer to my recent previous posts here because it has nothing to do with my attitude and my way of thinking. My good feelings are the only things that truly bring my life value, worth, joy, beauty, and happiness and I don't have these feelings. The only life I have to look forward to now is an eternal blissful afterlife where I can have these good feelings back to me. But I don't believe in any afterlife.

You could promote those feelings for your friends and relatives and find value there.

Again, I would need my own good feelings to give that value in the first place since my good feelings are the only things that can give me the actual awareness of beauty, joy, value, and worth just as how the experience of sight and hearing are the only experiences that can allow a person to actually be aware of visualizing objects and perceiving sound.

Why limit yourself to your own experience?

Because experience is everything to life. Without experience, then we would either be dead or unconscious. Therefore, in order to have value and worth in your life, then that is an experience right there. Like I said earlier, my good feelings are the only experiences that give my life a real quality of value, worth, joy, happiness, and beauty.

Because experience is everything to life. Without experience, then we would either be dead or unconscious. Therefore, in order to have value and worth in your life, then that is an experience right there. Like I said earlier, my good feelings are the only experiences that give my life a real quality of value, worth, joy, happiness, and beauty.

Who do you blame for your depression?

!

Moderator Note

I'm having a hard time figuring out how this thread is different in general tone and direction than a half-dozen other ones that have been opened up.

If you want to discuss nihilism, that's one thing. But you've made this about you, and a medical condition, and we don't have those discussions. This is not the place to have a medical consultation.