Don't go into Life Sciences?

Elite Engineer

I'm currently in a life sciences career. BS in Biotechnology, R&D, $38k /year).

My boss tells me that life sciences isn't a good, long-term career. Don't expect to be making above $50k in your career, and to get out later on, or

find a managerial position. Better career options would have been computer science or engineering. He's not being cold or rude...he's pragmatic and honest.

My boss is a successful PhD, he knows life sciences well, he's trying to help me early on.

Any suggestions on what to do with this info...any experience from your careers you can share?

~EE

He is somewhat right. There are at least three things to consider. 1) the level of education you are willing to obtain, 2) the salary you envision and in which time frame you want to obtain it and 3) level of competition.

Generally speaking, degrees in engineering and computer-related degrees ticked all the right boxes. Even with a low level degree very good job opportunities were possible. Most would not be in research, obviously, but even in academic areas (where you would need a PhD) it is easier to get a position compared to life sciences. However, while the situation is still better than in life sciences, the competitions has become much tighter. That is, getting another degree may not make you terribly competitive on its own.

Looking at progression, nowadays it is difficult to get very far in the science track of most companies. But even so, the managerial track is usually far more desirable in terms of progression, but also in ceiling. However if one desires to get a PhD to get a bump, one has to consider that a grad student salary or even a junior postdoc salary is likely to be lower than what you are making.

Another issue is that the life science job market is very crowded. One of the reason is that, depending on the precise area, graduates from the areas of molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmacology and others roughly fit the profile. On top of it, quite often there are enough applications that companies can fill jobs with Master's degree that used to be Bachelor's.

Connected to that is that it may be difficult to compete for managerial positions as there are good chances that there are people with higher education levels crowding in.

So what can you realistically leverage to make you competitive? The one thing I can see is at least you are gaining industrial experience. You'll have to see, how many responsibilities you may realistically get (usually easier in smaller companies than larger ones) and use that to get a higher position in another company in company. In some cases, if become a key person, companies are willing to finance further higher education to let you rise higher within the company.

However, a key element is that you take on larger roles and that you fulfill those without fail. At the Bachelor's level the role is usually very limited and is more about doing things and self-management rather than planning and managing others.

Another issue is that the life science job market is very crowded. One of the reason is that, depending on the precise area, graduates from the areas of molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmacology and others roughly fit the profile. On top of it, quite often there are enough applications that companies can fill jobs with Master's degree that used to be Bachelor's.

Ya, you're right on the money with that. My co-workers all have different degrees: medicinal chemistry, biomedical sciences, biotechnology, biology, pharmacy, medical technology...etc.

It really kinda bums me out that most life science studies (like the ones just listed), can pretty much do each other's jobs. I thought the "they'll replace you in a heart beat" talk was only in the minimum wage jobs..not professionally skilled job...Makes me feel like my knowledge is useless, and it sorta makes sense why the average ceiling pay for a life sciences career is around $55k.

I see what you're saying about industry experience..it's pretty much my only edge to set me apart...that and networking. I guess I was hoping to get out of school and start making $60k right off the bat..like most engineers, early on..so i wouldn't have to be too "concerned" about finances. At the current rate, I'll probably hit $60k when I'm in my mid 40's. My friend in an engineer..same age, and schooling, and he's making $75k..with future wage raises looking very likely.

How have any of you faired in life science careers? Resentful? Content? Overpaid? Underpaid?

Unfortunately, nowadays there are so many Bachelor's around that they have become disposable. Actually, to some degree it is even true for PhDs in many areas. In life sciences I cannot even remember if they were ever competitive with engineering salaries.

But if money is a concern, you can count yourself lucky that you did not go for an academic career.

The thing is that "go into management" is a different argument than specifying life sciences as a poor career choice. Management tends to make more money than the workers in any endeavor. As CharonY says, some of your salary expectation will depend on your education level, and some will depend on location. You can go to the bureau of labor statistics and find median salaries, and what degree level is expected for various science jobs in the US

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/home.htm