Auditory enhancer

keyestothefuture

So now I've got your attention its basically a hearing aid, but I'm not hard of hearing. From what I understand, a hearing aid is comprised of a mic and then an amplifier then a speaker. Therefore even if you're not hard of hearing it should be able to boost your range at least. Thing is I'm worried about interference and the noise becoming low quality. Obviously in busy, noisy places, the microphone will pick up all of the sound and I understand that there's very little I can do about this other than not use it in busy places. But you don't actually want the mic so sensitive it picks up every little sound and amplifies it because then the sound you want to hear, most likely speech becomes inaudible over the background noise. If anything a less sensitive mic would be better, I think.

In terms of components, I think I'll see if I can fit the whole thing in one earbud from an old pair of earphones. The other advantage of this is you already have a speaker there. Then you'll need quite a small mic to pick up the sound and then a transistor to amplify the sound? In theory this could all be powered by a 0.7V watch battery. My main problem is with the transistor, so, what strength of transistor would you need.

I understand this sounds stupid but is it at all possible to make a device that gives you superhearing?

Any decent smartphone has 2 microphones, one for normal operation and the second one for noise cancellation. Hearing aids have them too but more sensitive and more advanced. The key in hearing aids is to isolate the missing frequencies and feed them and only them to ones faulty ear. From your explanation above your device would give you loss of hearing due to excessive volume. It certainly would not give you "super hearing" If you want to play around safely with this stuff get youreself a directional microphone, I assure you it will be a lot more interesting.

Edited by koti

Yeah I was aware of the dangers, hence why I was wondering about the strength of amplification. Directional microphone though thats good... Superhearing was a poor choice of words sorry about that. So I guess what I want is some way of making a device that only picks up speech and then only amplifies that?

You can try cleaning out your ears of all of that wax and junk in there. I remember cleaning my ear out and I dragged out a dead cockaroach from in there and a ovular pallete of somesort. (Imagine one of the little circle batteries but about half the size, thinner, and an ovular shape. It was brown.)

Your auditory will be enhanced.

Edited by NimrodTheGoat