The social neuroscience of cannabis smoking

Are chronic cannabis users less sensitive to negative peer influence? (ie: Bullying, ostracism, etc...)

How do chronic cannabis usage influence the mood and behavior?

My hypothesis is that long-term cannabis administration may positively influence civilized behavior and fine-tune serotonergic brain circuits connected to behavioral flexibility.

Edited by tkadm30

Are chronic cannabis users less sensitive to negative peer influence? (ie: Bullying)

My hypothesis is that long-term cannabis administration may positively influence civilized behavior and fine-tune serotonergic brain circuits connected to behavioral flexibility.

Now you need to support your hypothesis with evidence because you've posted in a conventional science section that requires such support.

Now you need to support your hypothesis with evidence because you've posted in a conventional science section that requires such support.

Okay. Here is the supporting evidences:

1. http://thescienceexplorer.com/brain-and-body/young-marijuana-users-show-unique-response-social-rejection-study-finds

2. http://www.eurekaselect.com/65967

Are chronic cannabis users less sensitive to negative peer influence? (ie: Bullying, ostracism, etc...)

!

Moderator Note

Which discussion do you wish to pursue? Asking the question or presenting your own hypothesis? You don't get to do both in one thread.

Which discussion do you wish to pursue? Asking the question or presenting your own hypothesis? You don't get to do both in one thread.

I'm skeptical about the conclusions of the first article I linked. If cannabis smoking positively influence the mood and behavior, this unique neural response is probably a form of cognitive flexibility.

I'm skeptical about the conclusions of the first article I linked. If cannabis smoking positively influence the mood and behavior, this unique neural response is probably a form of cognitive flexibility.

That doesn't answer my question.

The question is too broad to have any meaningful discussion. The population of chronic cannabis users is broad, and as such they differ in many relevant aspects. Some may be embedded in large social groups, some may be loners. Some may be affluent, some struggling. Some are old some are young. As such each of them would be subject to different kinds of social pressure.

There are, however, a lot of studies that show a correlation (though not necessarily a causation) between chronic use and e.g. mild cognitive impairment and poor mental health. There is specifically a strong association between high level chronic use especially among teens and development of schizophrenia and psychosis. However, it is not clear whether it is caused by cannabis use or that people susceptible to psychosis are drawn to cannabis use.

Some studies focus on the mechanistic link (e.g. Malone et al Br J Pharmacol 2010) but others look into the societal area. So the first question cannot be answered and the follow-up is just a non sequitur.

Then why did you present it as evidence?

In my opinion there's evidences that cannabis users may be hardwired to adapt themselves agaisnt negative peer influence, but I reject their conclusions about the neurological basis of immature brain development.

Of course you reject it because you smoke weed. You want to believe only the positive indications about weed smoking.

Why do you cite an article as basis for your statement that it may hardwire people to adapt against negative peer influence, but reject something else that shows a negative effect in the same article?

Of course you reject it because you smoke weed. You want to believe only the positive indications about weed smoking.

Why do you cite an article as basis for your statement that it may hardwire people to adapt against negative peer influence, but reject something else that shows a negative effect in the same article?

Hmm, I guess the ability to read scientific articles requires balanced criticism as well.

It's not all black or white.

As I have pointed out before, the idea that smoking dope fine tunes anything is the sort of think you only believe while smoking.

Seriously, a few billion year's worth of evolution worked to make your brain pretty damned good, and you still think you can improve it by getting stoned?

That makes no sense.

Scientific articles are supposed to be there because their judgement is superior to yours. So saying that you can pick apart a scientific article and decide what's good and what's bad doesn't really hold water.

If it was that easy to decide what is correct and what is incorrect in a scientific article, what would be the point of citing one in the first place?

And how did you decide that the first part is correct and the second is incorrect? Because you have a feeling it might be so?

Hmm, I guess the ability to read scientific articles requires balanced criticism as well.

It's not all black or white.

In other words you are going to cherry-pick conclusions you like and reject ones you don't. And ignore the evidence.

No surprises there then.

As I have pointed out before, the idea that smoking dope fine tunes anything is the sort of think you only believe while smoking.

Seriously, a few billion year's worth of evolution worked to make your brain pretty damned good, and you still think you can improve it by getting stoned?

Yeah, the same way I fine tune my car with a sledgehammer. It runs faster out of fear.

I don't know many hop heads, but based on a sample of one (Tkadm30) it seems that they have limited social skills in that they are unable to follow local etiquette, For example, by cherry picking data, failing to make his question clear, and ignoring previous information.

Those actions are impolite on a science web page.

An observation of the positive effects on social behaviour. (I might have shared this before)

I went to Amsterdam a good few years back with my brother. On the coach there were some 16 to 20 year olds that had been drinking on the ferry and were annoying everyone with their football hooligan style chanting and swearing and general yobbery on the coach. After 2 days in Amsterdam they were the last to be picked up and people started to comment when the bus stopped to get them that the peace was over and we'd have to put up with these yobs again for the drive home..... except when they boarded the bus they were pretty silent, except for a few polite nods, shy smiles and hellos to the old ladies on the bus as they made their way to the back of the bus where they spoke in whispers for the journey home, not making eye contact with anyone. This thoroughly amused everyone on the bus, who thought the transformation was amazing and very positive.

Trouble at football matches in Holland when England play away?... not so much. lol.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know many hop heads, but based on a sample of one (Tkadm30) it seems that they have limited social skills in that they are unable to follow local etiquette, For example, by cherry picking data, failing to make his question clear, and ignoring previous information.

Those actions are impolite on a science web page.

First of all, cannabis smokers are not hop heads. If you care about politeness, why not show the example and calls things respectfully?

Second, there's substantial evidences that cannabis users may have enhanced social saliency and interpersonal communication skills: "Human studies have shown that marijuana heightens the saliency of social interactions (1), enhances interpersonal communication (2, 3), and decreases hostile feelings within small social groups (4)."

See: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4653148/

• 6 years later...
On 3/23/2017 at 4:49 PM, tkadm30 said:

Quoting link one

"The unexpected reduction in insula response may indicate that marijuana users are less conscious of social norms or have reduced ability to reflect on negative social situations,” continued Gilman,

And

The study authors note that a greater susceptibility to peer influence as seen in marijuana users could signify a more immature pattern of brain development.

On 3/23/2017 at 4:27 PM, tkadm30 said:

According to your study, it would appear so.

There is a great debate about whether or not it is right or wrong to correct someones grammar, and I am going to get around this by choosing to correct your grammar, but as I am no grammar genius myself, I also invite you to correct my grammar, and we can turn this debate into a grammar lesson at the same time as discussing your hypothesis. My reason for correcting your grammar is because I can tell that you wish to improve and better yourself, and this is why you use Cannabis, as Cannabis 'may' even be your God that you worship, and you 'may' believe that Cannabis is helping you. I would however like to enlighten you that it appears to not see any importance in helping with your writing skills.

"How 'does' chronic cannabis usage influence mood and behaviour?".

According to your study, it makes Cannabis users 'less conscious'  and 'reduces ability', and they suffer more from 'peer pressure' and are more 'immature'.

I have no idea how you came to this hypothesis by using the sources which you linked to.

Whilst the wording at first glance may appear to be speaking favourably of Cannabis users being "less conscious of social norms", in fact it isn't. Being 'less conscious' is not a positive thing, and even if one thinks that they are above conforming with social norms, one should still be fully aware of social norms. Quite simply, nobody in their right mind wants to be 'less' conscious'. They want to be 'more' conscious, so driving oneself to become 'oblivious' of social norms, is certainly a 'unique' way of trying to cope with social rejection.

Also, 'reduced ability' to practise reflection, is also not a great way of dealing with social rejection. The report is merely pointing to the fact that this may be a 'unique' way of dealing with social rejection, but is not a positive way. Nobody wants to 'reduce their ability'. People want to improve their ability.

Your report also states that Cannabis users suffer more from 'peer pressure' and are more 'immature'. I am struggling to understand how you could think this is being kind?

So, clearly, the report is not being kind on Cannabis users, and is suggesting that their unique way of coping with social rejection is purely by accident, and more based on the fact that they are not even aware that they are being socially rejected.

My hypothesis is to why they might not even be fully aware that they are being socially rejected, would be because they have no concept of space and time, and they probably forgot how long they had been standing there without the ball being passed to them. Afterall, time is an illusion!

On 4/26/2017 at 10:25 PM, tkadm30 said:

First of all, cannabis smokers are not hop heads. If you care about politeness, why not show the example and calls things respectfully?

Second, there's substantial evidences that cannabis users may have enhanced social saliency and interpersonal communication skills: "Human studies have shown that marijuana heightens the saliency of social interactions (1), enhances interpersonal communication (2, 3), and decreases hostile feelings within small social groups (4)."

See: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4653148/

You missed out the reports 'conclusion'.

In conclusion, our results illuminate a mechanism underlying the prosocial actions of oxytocin, and provide unexpected insights on possible neural substrates involved in the social facilitation caused by marijuana. Pharmacological modulation of oxytocin-driven anandamide signaling (by using, for example, FAAH inhibitors) might open new avenues to treat social impairment in autism spectrum disorders.

After reading the full report, I get the impression that merely 'heightening' the sailency of something that is wasn't broken to begin with, and 'enhancing' skills that one already had, and 'decreases' but does not elimate something which remains to a lesser degree, is not even considered in the report as to be even worthwhile considering once those small benefits have been weighed up against the cons, and in conclusion, your report concluded that this report is only really applicable to those that may have Autism.

The message is, don't try and fix something that isn't broken.

Also, depending upon context, 'heightening' and 'enhancing' are not necessarily good things. To much of one things is never good, and everything in moderation.

Anyway, your report also says this:

In humans, marijuana can either facilitate or impair social interactions and social saliency, possibly depending on dose and context 

So you see, taking something that they believe can also impair social interaction and social sailency is simply not worth the risk for people that are not impaired already.

Your report does not support the context that you are trying to support, which is suggesting that Cannabis is a good recreational drug. It is not, though it might be a medicinal for people with serious impairments.

Edited by Nevets

2 hours ago, Nevets said:

Your report does not support the context that you are trying to support, which is suggesting that Cannabis is a good recreational drug. It is not, though it might be a medicinal for people with serious impairments.

Unfortunately the person you are responding to was banned from this site over 6 1/2 years ago.