Anyone else starting to become lactose intolerant?

NimrodTheGoat

I have my speculations that I am. I drank 2 3 cupfulls of choclate milk before I went to sleep about 2 days ago, and let me tell you something. I was not comfortable once I went to bed. There was a lot of "thunder from down under" if you know what I mean.

What about your experiences.

I have been mildly intolerant for several years (flatulence if I e.g. had a milkshake), but it's become much more severe in the last year. If I have the wrong kind of cheese, it hits me within a few hours. No more dairy for me unless it's lactose-free.

I have my speculations that I am. I drank 2 3 cupfulls of choclate milk before I went to sleep about 2 days ago, and let me tell you something. I was not comfortable once I went to bed. There was a lot of "thunder from down under" if you know what I mean.

What about your experiences.

That's way too much milk to consume is such a short time, especially right before going to bed at night. One does not have to be lactose intolerant to expeience discomfort after doing so. Hell, I love choicalate milk and am have not a trace of L.I. but if I did that I too would feel lousy at bedtime. Or really ANY time, except maybe after a long run or intense workout.

Like the "all of a sudden" everybody is allgeric to gluten, I am skeptic of the incrase over the past decade of those claiming lactose intolerance. The milk and its production methods have not changed. The growth hormones have always been there, and besides, are totally inert in the final milk product that is put on the supermarket shelf. So the reaosn for this LI is NOT to be found in the milk, ergo, by process of elimination it has to be in the consumer. Discovering what this is, exactly is the next step. I am guessing it is just another result or symptom of our nation's lousy diet and fitness level. People feel like doo doo so they have to point the finger at something, to avoid just not eating or drinking so much and hitting the gym.

Well, I do have to admit that 3 was quite a bit. I usually drink 2 cups every week and mild flatulence occured. It was just that one day that I chugged 3 glasses, it made me go boom evey minute or so.

On a side note,

Pizza is made with cheese, and cheese is a dairy product, I don't want to live in a world where I can't eat pizza.

On a side note,

Pizza is made with cheese, and cheese is a dairy product, I don't want to live in a world where I can't eat pizza.

You don't have to:

Lactase is an enzyme. Like other enzymes, it is needed for a specific biochemical reaction in the body. The biochemical reaction that involves lactase breaks down lactose, a sugar in milk and milk products. Some peoples bodies do not make enough lactase, so they are not able to digest milk well. These people are said to have lactase deficiency and are called lactose intolerant. They can take supplemental lactase to help them break down lactose and tolerate milk. In these people lactase can prevent symptoms of lactose intolerance including cramps, diarrhea, and gas.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-540-lactase.aspx?activeingredientid=540

You don't have too, lactose intolerance is just an excuse for the fragrantly incapable.

Thank you! Pretty much what I been saying, in so many words, all along.

Same deal with gluten.

Reminds me of an old joke I read once where it listed things women say, but what they really mean. One such line was........

She says.......I have a stomach ache.

She means....I have to take a massive dump.

LOL

From what I'm reading our bodies produce less lactase as we grow up.

Pills look surprisingly cheap. Microbiome/diet changes may work as well to help limit gas production.

Personally I've gotten hooked on the Vanilla Soy Milk. Tastier and don't have any "Trouble" later :)

Edited by Endy0816

Pretty much that. I believe looking at lactose intolerance incidence in children there appears to be no significant increase over the years. However, demographic changes has to be factored in as in certain populations lactose intolerance is more common.

• 2 weeks later...

I too suffer from this tragedy, I love dairy products but I woefully have to give them up in order to feel good after eating. I also am having trouble tolerating spicy stuff as well. I don't know if its aging, what's being fed to the animals, or whats being added to the products, I know it was not like this before for me.

From what I'm reading our bodies produce less lactase as we grow up.

Pills look surprisingly cheap. Microbiome/diet changes may work as well to help limit gas production.

Personally I've gotten hooked on the Vanilla Soy Milk. Tastier and don't have any "Trouble" later :)

Soy milk is good and tasty. It has a better texture than milk too in my opinion.

I too suffer from this tragedy, I love dairy products but I woefully have to give them up in order to feel good after eating. I also am having trouble tolerating spicy stuff as well. I don't know if its aging, what's being fed to the animals, or whats being added to the products, I know it was not like this before for me.

I have always been intolerant to spicy stuff. I don't know why, but the smallest amount of spice can get to me.

If you don't consume milk products you need to be watchful that you find alternative sources of calcium because milk represents a sizeable source of it in the Western diet.

I love my gut bacteria and give them 10g of galacto-oligosacchardes in the form of arabic gum every day. They repay me with many satisfying trumps. If I was LI then I'd be looking to supplement with lactase.