Looking for a female scientist to interview on Skype!

WISEnm

Hello everyone, I am currently seeking a female scientist to interview regarding my Women In Science course at university.

If any of you are interested and available between now and March 22nd for a Skype interview please contact me at mace6842@gmail.com.

The purpose of the interview project is to see how women navigate the science world and how it transitions to their personal life as well.

Nary a female here that I've seen, but who knows? Good luck. Anyway...this reminds me that A fellow grad student of mine in psych is doing his Master's thesis on possible cognitive differences between makes and females that explains the dearth of women in STEM. Which I imagine might be along the lines of what you wish to discuss? If memory serves, he said that other than psych and art, women only earn about 5% of Ph.D's in America. Wow. Ten times less than what their proportion would be if it were equal to sex percentage. Ten times! And cultural bias cannot be claimed anymore, nor can discrimination, by females. That stuffs been over for two decades at least.

Thus....There must be some cognitive differences they possess which renders it more difficult for them to excel in the sorts of learning and comprehension required of hard science. I'm guessing it has to do with how they think less linear style than us men.

Anyhoo...

Cheers.

Edited by Velocity_Boy

Unless Phi is hiding something, I'm pretty sure I'm the only female mod active.

Phi is always hiding something - but I don't think it is that. And can I take this opportunity to say come back Mooey!

There are some. Including at least two moderators, I believe. Sadly, one female member was bullied away recently.

Bullied? I find that a tad hard to believe, given the splendid manners I have seen exhibited here by most members. This has to be the tightest run and least hostile forum I've ever been on. Try going over to Create Debate or 4Chan if you want some flame!

And...I gotta ask...Are you female? Given your avatar of that Negosenic Warhead (?) girl from Deadpool, I am curious. Forgive me if that query is out of line.....And mods..If it's straying off topic. I promise not to pursue it further. 😇

Edited by Velocity_Boy

Bullied? I find that a tad hard to believe, given the splendid manners I have seen exhibited here by most members. This has to be the tightest run and least hostile forum I've ever been on. Try going over to Create Debate or 4Chan if you want some flame!

He may think they are bullied but I think they are held to account just the same as males. The trouble is, it's not most non-science women's usual MO to be so adversarial in discussion.; Mooey did and HyperV does handle us just fine because they know the score in science discussion.

He may think they are bullied but I think they are held to account just the same as males. The trouble is, it's not most non-science women's usual MO to be so adversarial in discussion.; Mooey did and HyperV does handle us just fine because they know the score in science discussion.

I don't understand this post, can you elaborate? I understand the words in it, but the post doesn't make sense to me as a whole.

Women aren't typically adversarial and so...they can handle themselves well? Why is that trouble?

I also don't understand why Strange got downvoted for that.

If memory serves, he said that other than psych and art, women only earn about 5% of Ph.D's in America.

I am pretty confident that this is inaccurate. A few years ago already there were more female PhD graduates than males. Even in disciplines where traditionally females are underrepresented I have seen numbers around 20% almost 10 years ago. I would be surprised if that level actually went down. In other disciplines like biology or chemistry there is mostly gender equity. In fact, I cannot think of a single discipline where women earned as low as 5% of the PhDs. The story is quite a bit different if we talk about faculty level employment, though.

I assume you just misunderstood your friend (or just mixed up the numbers).

Actually, there is one category that could go that low, which would be minority women. But that is another case.

Edited by CharonY

I don't understand this post, can you elaborate? I understand the words in it, but the post doesn't make sense to me as a whole.

Women aren't typically adversarial and so...they can handle themselves well? Why is that trouble?

In this environment they are not as comfortable as men, or so it seems to me. Mooey anf Hyper are examples of women that can AND they are scientists.

I am pretty confident that this is inaccurate. A few years ago already there were more female PhD graduates than males. Even in disciplines where traditionally females are underrepresented I have seen numbers around 20% almost 10 years ago. I would be surprised if that level actually went down. In other disciplines like biology or chemistry there is mostly gender equity. In fact, I cannot think of a single discipline where women earned as low as 5% of the PhDs. The story is quite a bit different if we talk about faculty level employment, though.

I assume you just misunderstood your friend (or just mixed up the numbers).

Actually, there is one category that could go that low, which would be minority women. But that is another case.

d

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/magazine/why-are-there-still-so-few-women-in-science.html

http://www.aauw.org/research/why-so-few/

Edited by Velocity_Boy

I it is good that you bring up additional info to contextualize the situation and I assume you acknowledge the the severe underestimate of female doctorates?

Also:

And cultural bias cannot be claimed anymore, nor can discrimination, by females. That stuffs been over for two decades at least.

I assume you were being facetious?

Edited by CharonY