Traveling and visas

Alfred001

I've not traveled much as an adult, but when I traveled as a child with my parents all I ever needed was a passport, but I keep hearing people talk about visas, even if its just tourism rather than going to a country to work. I should say, I've only traveled within Europe (including from non-EU countries to EU countries).

I'm wondering, what are the situations in which someone would need a visa if they were just staying briefly in the country and not going for work?

You would need a visa to visit the USA, Japan, China and probably most countries outside Europe. In many cases, these are automatically granted to people from certain countries, and so you don't have to apply in advance. You just get a visitors visa when you arrive (e.g. USA [for the moment] and Japan). For other countries (China?) you need to apply in advance.

Before Schengen there was still visa requirement for quite a few border crossings within Europe though mostly for non-Europeans (though between West and East Europe there were exceptions and things changed as a reaction to certain geopolitical happenings. Anyway...

Certain countries now offer visa waivers to certain other countries (as Hyper mentioned) and they are not automatically offered (the legal status is different). These waivers are based on reciprocity, which is why EU may or is dropping the waiver for US citizens as the US does not offer a waiver for certain EU members (East Europeans that is).

Without a waiver you have to acquire a visa even for short stays. In fact, only a couple of countries offer isolated airports (such as Heathrow) that let you pass through without needing a visa for the country. For example, if you want to fly to Canada and have a stop in the US you need a visa for US as well as Canada, if your country is not visa exempt. This is even the case when you never step outside the airport.

Getting an US visa is a costly and rather time-consuming procedure, too.

Also, even if you have a waiver, you may need additional authorization, such as ESTA (USA) prior to travel, but that is a fairly uncomplicated process.

Places like the USA, even if you don't need a visa, you still need to apply for the waiver in advance. I think Australia has a tourist visa as well, not so sure about others.

In Australia it would fall under the eVisitor subclass, I think (also painlessly obtainable for EU citizens).

Edited by CharonY

I think Australians have a weird deal with the EU where Aussies can travel to EU under similar rules as a Schengen visa (90 days max). But individual countries including France actually have a bilateral Visa waiver agreement. It seems to be a slightly weird setup as it is not a complete waiver but potentially because of the eVisitor system (which basically covers the EU) it is an almost waiver program.

Getting a proper US visa is bloody annoying, as it involves to be physically presenting yourself at an US embassy. In most countries you can apply online and submit your passport instead (should you need a visa).

Edited by CharonY

I'm wondering, what are the situations in which someone would need a visa if they were just staying briefly in the country and not going for work?

Generally speaking the situations are varied and determined by the country you wish to travel to. They can require that you apply for a visa for any reason they wish.