Magnetic Web

Raider5678

Hello, is it possible to create a magnetic web?

By a web I mean like a magnetic field that's equal throughout a whole shape, and the shape is surrounded by something?

Like for example, imagine having 5 pillars:

-

- -

- -

And inside all those pillars having a magnetic field that is only inside that field. Is this possible?

No, because magnetic field lines need to be closed. It could only work if your shape closes in on itself, and even then there will be stray field lines.

I guess you could create a field in a closed space surrounded by superconductors, which expel any magnetic field. Even then, the shape would need to be a thin toroid to be approximately equal throughout the whole shape.

No, because magnetic field lines need to be closed. It could only work if your shape closes in on itself, and even then there will be stray field lines.

I guess you could create a field in a closed space surrounded by superconductors, which expel any magnetic field. Even then, the shape would need to be a thin toroid to be approximately equal throughout the whole shape.

But we could create a fairly strong magnetic field focused inside of a shape?

I need it strong enough to carry a AC current efficiently.

No. Any magnetic field extends "infinitely" though there will be points beyond which the field is too weak to be measured. If that is what you mean, you would have to say what that level is.

I mean by focusing the magnetic field, which I know is possible.

What do you mean by "carry an AC current" in this context?

An alternating current can be created by taking a DC current and sending it through some specifically designed electronics. This AC current can then be carried over a magnetic field, but at a low efficiency. I'm trying to find a way to make it higher efficiency by making the magnetic field more of a closed system then a direct line.

Wireless electricity over long range dude.

That's what I'm talking about.

And that still doesn't answer my question.

Ok, so I guess you refer to resonant inductive coupling.

I don't think there is much sense in some contraption to trap the magnetic field. Simply using wires is going to be much simpler and more efficient.

You might also be interested in laser power transfer.

I don't think there is much sense in some contraption to trap the magnetic field. Simply using wires is going to be much simpler and more efficient.

Might I just say, had they simply said that with telephones and communications, this world would have no radio, internet, cell phones, and so much more.

So perhaps before simply saying take the easy and conventional method, imagine all the wonderful possibilities wireless electricity would create.

If all the inventors throughout history didn't bother to try and make things easier because there were simpler ways, nothing would have been done.

So sensible or not, this is what I'll do.

It is fairly simple: if you want to trap the magnetic field, you need something to trap it in. That something is going to be more complex and more expensive than a wire.

Or could you use a focused electromagnetic beam, such as a laser.

It is fairly simple: if you want to trap the magnetic field, you need something to trap it in. That something is going to be more complex and more expensive than a wire.

Or could you use a focused electromagnetic beam, such as a laser.

Again, I'm attempting to make a field.

Is it possible to make it in the form of "towers" or something that would trap the magnetic field without actually physically having metal there or something?

You could use a propagating electromagnetic field, such as a laser or a focused microwave beam.

I know of no way to trap a quasi-static magnetic field, short of a ferromagnetic core (which isn't perfect), or superconductors on the outside.

In retrospect, the superconductor thing might not even work, because induced currents in the superconductor would counteract the magnetic field.

Might I just say, had they simply said that with telephones and communications, this world would have no radio, internet, cell phones, and so much more.

So perhaps before simply saying take the easy and conventional method, imagine all the wonderful possibilities wireless electricity would create.

If all the inventors throughout history didn't bother to try and make things easier because there were simpler ways, nothing would have been done.

So sensible or not, this is what I'll do.

Radio and cell phones do not require you to confine the field. AFAICT the comment was directed at your constraint, not the underlying technology.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to make it in the form of "towers" or something that would trap the magnetic field without actually physically having metal there or something?

A magnetic field can't be concentrated at distance nor have the shape of a beam in vacuum.

An electromagnetic field can, within diffraction limits. It is done with light and with microwaves, including to transmit power, with bad efficiency. This needs antennas or lenses significantly bigger than the wavelength, hence big frequencies.