Can anyone explain simply about string theory?

Anatanoshi

Kind of hard to explain theories at the leading edge of theoretical Physics in simple terms, especially since we don't know what your level of understanding is.

I would suggest a Google search of 'Elementary String Theory'. Wiki seems to have a decent non-mathematical explanation of string and superstring theory. Give it a read and if you have any questions, come back and ask. If we can, we'll be more than happy to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of hard to explain theories at the leading edge of theoretical Physics in simple terms, especially since we don't know what your level of understanding is.

I would suggest a Google search of 'Elementary String Theory'. Wiki seems to have a decent non-mathematical explanation of string and superstring theory. Give it a read and if you have any questions, come back and ask. If we can, we'll be more than happy to help.

I think you're being far too kind to String Theory by referring to it as Leading Edge theoretical physics.

I mean, hell, is it really even a theory? I was under the impression it was a mere hypothesis? I don't think the requisite tenets of ST to be a theory have been met? For example, have any of it's hypothesized workings of actions been observed and proven and then bested attempt to debunking? I think maybe not.

Was not ST in it's heydey during the Brian Green "Elegant Universe" era about a decade or more ago? And has it not fallen a bit out of favor? And is it not outright ridiculed by some physicists? Didn't the cern discovery of the Higgs Boson a few years ago do a big to discredit ST?

Just saying.

And there's this..........

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2015/12/23/why-string-theory-is-not-science/#12fba3936524

Edited by Velocity_Boy