Where is the line with increasing your longevity?

zhillolonan

Many people try countless methods and follow various lifestyles to increase their longevity. However, are all these methods ethical?

Controversial aging scientist Dr. Aubrey de Grey has many theories about how to live longer. He appeared on a podcast to discuss them, interesting stuff. Let's discuss :)

Simply postponing death by a couple of years is not a problem, as long as we remain productive for sufficiently long. This condition seems trivial since we are already so productive that governments have to invent pointless jobs to keep people occupied.

If we cure ageing completely, we will need rules for child-bearing to prevent overpopulation. E.g. to get a child you would need to commit yourself to be euthanized a couple of decades later. There could also be a waiting list for a "child-bearing permit" to replace the people that die without having procreated. I think we need to be very strict about not allowing such a permit to be transferred in exchange for money, as that would lead to all kind of horror-scenarios.

Well, I confess I didn't watch the video yet--I may or may not, since every other week somebody comes out with a new anti-aging hypothesis--but I wanted to share a criteria I use when weighing the credibility of one op those guys.

I simply look at them and see if they look younger than their real age. If they do NOT, and indeed do not significantly look younger (10 years or more) then I do not even bother with reading or listening to their ideas.

Why? The proof is in the pudding, as I always say regarding health gurus. Or alleged ones. LIke me, a lifelong athlete, marital arts instructor, runner. I think I eat a pretty much optimal diet. Whenever I read one of those "New Superfoods for Health!" articles, almost always I am already partaking in most of them. I run 25 miles a week and usually win my age group in races. I am routines gauged at being ten years younger than I really am. My resting hr is about 52. So I am a tough audience for these guys and their new-fangled anti-aging notions.

It's like how I used to laugh at Deprak Chopra. One of his books, something about how not to age ever! His pic on the front, and there he was, looking every bit if not more of his (then) 60 years. LOL. See, to me, a case like this is just tossed out a priori if the author does not seem to be benefitting from his preaching tactics.

Is this too harsh on my part?

Edited by Velocity_Boy

• 4 weeks later...

!

Moderator Note

My hypothesis is, that by increasing Stem cells we are able to drastically increase our lifespans.

Please either refute or confirm my hypothesis.

Off-topic and not the way science works. Do not hijack discussions with tangential remarks and please be aware that the "refute or confirm" gambit is the tool of the crank. If you can replace the core of your argument with " a teapot orbiting the sun somewhere between earth and mars" and not really change the import, validity, or evidential value of your claim then perhaps it is best to not make the contention in the first place

Do not respond to this moderation within the thread.