What's that ringing you hear even when there's no sound?

When there's no sound, you might tend to notice this high pitch ringing taking over your hearing. But how exactly do you hear anything without any noise? And while we're at it, how exactly can you see splotches when it's pitch black? Do the exothermic reactions from cells really produce enough light for that? Or is it like noise in a bad camera?

Edited by SFNQuestions

That ringing in the ear when there's no sound is called tinnitis and it may have several health related causes not usually consider serious. I hope this helps.

No it's not like a loud ringing it's like this very subtle ringing that you can't notice unless it's dead silent and try to listen for something. You know like how when you put your hands right to your eyes and you can see all kinds of splotches? It's like that.

No it's not like a loud ringing it's like this very subtle ringing that you can't notice unless it's dead silent and try to listen for something. You know like how when you put your hands right to your eyes and you can see all kinds of splotches? It's like that.

As far as I know, it is still tinnitis.

And while we're at it, how exactly can you see splotches when it's pitch black? Do the exothermic reactions from cells really produce enough light for that? Or is it like noise in a bad camera?

Light receptor cells in the retina also respond to touch (I think I read they evolved from touch receptors), and the brain interprets it as light. If you close your eye and push in the corner you might 'see' some light. It's also why we might 'see stars' when punched in the face.

If you close your eye and push in the corner you might 'see' some light.

I would strongly advise against this scientific experiment. My ophthalmologist says any physical deformation of the eyeball is to be avoided, and having just had a detached retina I would agree.

Light receptor cells in the retina also respond to touch (I think I read they evolved from touch receptors), and the brain interprets it as light. If you close your eye and push in the corner you might 'see' some light. It's also why we might 'see stars' when punched in the face.

I guess that would explain it. You're eyelids certainly touch your eyes, but I mean, the problem is that you can stare at something pitch-black without closing your eyes, and you would still see something that resembles an organic form of camera noise.

As far as I know, it is still tinnitis.

I mean literally everyone I've talked to about it also hears the same exact high pitch, are you suggesting some kind of mass hearing loss disease going around? It seems more likely that it's related to some automatic background process like phosphene, given how quiet it is.

Edited by SFNQuestions

It is tinnitus, which is something we all experience as we age. The damage sound causes to hearing is cumulative over time and tinnitus can begin in early childhood depending on the measure of sound exposure.

It is tinnitus, which is something we all experience as we age. The damage sound causes to hearing is cumulative over time and tinnitus can begin in early childhood depending on the measure of sound exposure.

I suppose it's possible, but how can you be certain it isn't related to any background process?

I would strongly advise against this scientific experiment. My ophthalmologist says any physical deformation of the eyeball is to be avoided, and having just had a detached retina I would agree.

Ah. Very wise. I'll also stop punching myself in the face then.

the problem is that you can stare at something pitch-black without closing your eyes, and you would still see something that resembles an organic form of camera noise.

I don't know, but it could well be something like camera noise. The sensitivity is turned up to the max, so some random firing of the nerves occur??

I suppose it's possible, but how can you be certain it isn't related to any background process?

Certain sounds originating from external sources can and do produce an annoying tinnitus effect. There are sounds that individuals over the age of 25 can't hear that those under 25 find particularly annoying. Here's an example.