Beall's list under threat

Strange

• 3 months later...
If you pay to have it hosted I don't mind coding it. Or you could just start a thread here.

You can make C/C++ Firefox and Chrome plug-ins, which will be working parallel to browsers,

and checking whether user is visiting website from the list (downloaded from website one time per week/month),

and informing him/her about probably not so high quality knowledge presented on it.

People using these websites, from 3rd party world especially, probably have no idea what does mean "predatory publisher", and are using them as knowledge database..

With plugins it will be automatic.

But they will have to be advertised as filters for students and teachers.

You can make C/C++ Firefox and Chrome plug-ins, which will be working parallel to browsers,

and checking whether user is visiting website from the list (downloaded from website one time per week/month),

and informing him/her about probably not so high quality knowledge presented on it

Firefox and Chrome plug-ins are mostly javascript. Anyway I have the plugins for firefox, chrome and micosoft edge.

bealls_list-1.0-an+fx-windows.zip

beallslist.zip

Edited by fiveworlds

Firefox and Chrome plug-ins are mostly javascript. Anyway I have the plugins for firefox, chrome and micosoft edge.

Sort array of urls and use proper binary-search instead of brute-force algorithm.

It will require just 11-12 string comparisons, instead of 2400..

Yeah that's a great idea. Okay so that is updated to use binary-search.

Now you're doing duplicate of entire list every iteration (that's always very slow), and recursion... Binary-search algorithm does not need them.

Implement binary-search as separate function (split code to logic blocks), which is simply returning -1 and index at which what we're searching for is present.

And then in upper level, the main code, check if( result != -1 ) which means something is found, and do code related to it.

Implement binary-search as separate function​

It is even faster to not use a function for it at all. It only saves like 0.2 ms on my computer though. Anyway the addon passed review by mozilla https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/beallslist/

chrome webstore isn't accepting new addons at the moment for anything other than chrome OS.

beallslist.zip

Edited by fiveworlds

People who organise these sort of takedowns seem to completely forget about the Streisand Effect.

It is a bit different though, as especially smaller predatory journals can change create new umbrella organizations and push out some new journals. Most are not really in the business of making a name for themselves.

Thus, even keeping the old list online, it will be outdated rather quickly.

I get basically daily requests to submit in journals I have never heard of, most of which are likely to be predatory.

• 1 year later...

The use and debate about the Beall's list is still alive and kicking. See a nice overview with enough nuance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beall's_List

In my experience the work of Mr. Beall caused awareness for this threat and though certainly not flawless it can be used to make up your own mind on whether a particular journal or publisher is trustful enough to send your work to.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.