Electrolysis help

Jessek

If I am trying to do an electrolysis with NaCl and water, would the reaction be NaCl+H2O --> NaOH+Cl+H. Also, if it matters I am using graphite epectrodes and a 6v DC wall adaptor. (Sorry if I am bad at this, I am in 6th grade and am in the proccess of online totorials (khan academy) for chemistry)

Edited by Jessek

Hi JesseK,

It's really great that you are so curious about chemistry that you want to try and engage in experiments such as this. However, I would strongly encourage you to reconsider in this instance, out of concern for your safety. Perhaps you could look to reconvene when you have started learning chemistry a bit more in school, and have some experience doing (supervised) experiments. There are other things you might look at doing. Perhaps something around crystal growth (you can do some neat stuff with epsom salts)? I know if sounds boring, but crystallisation is really quite interesting when you get down to it.

Perhaps you could look at these also: https://www.csiro.au/en/Education/DIY-science/Chemistry

I understand your concern. Some of the safety precautions I am taking are respiratory protection, protective gloves, ventilation, and eye protection (obviously). I am planning on using it for making soap and possibly experimenting with neutralizing acids compared to sodium bicarbonate. As for the crystillization, I have fun doing that and have done it, I just would like to learn about electrolysis.

Edited by Jessek

I am using electrolysis so I can experiment with different types of electrodes. For example, I believe if I use copper electrodes, I could make copper chloride. Thank you for your concern, I am starting to reconsider this reaction and maybe go with HHO as I believe it is safer.

Edited by Jessek

• 4 months later...

I am using electrolysis so I can experiment with different types of electrodes. For example, I believe if I use copper electrodes, I could make copper chloride. Thank you for your concern, I am starting to reconsider this reaction and maybe go with HHO as I believe it is safer.

I am amazed by your curiosity! As for the electrolysis of NaCl solution, you can't go much wrong, given that you know what you are doing. I would say that for every experiment you may do by varying the electrodes, you should research about the reaction from sources online that you would find easily.

As for the electrolysis of the NaCl solution with graphite electrodes, you get Cl2 gas at anode (+), H2 gas at cathode (-) and NaOH in the solution. As the reaction proceeds and if both electrodes are not far enough, the Cl2 gas reacts with the NaOH in the solution to form Sodium hypochlorite or bleach. Only risk in here is the chlorine gas that you should not inhale too much. So don't smell it for too long. Also, the reaction with copper electrodes is also safe. I have a youtube video on the same on my channel Curiosity Catalase (

). May be you find it helpful!

I would love to answer anymore questions you would have. Have a fun and safe experimenting!

Good luck!