Time Crystals!

DrmDoc

According to Berkley News, scientist have created a new form of matter (time crystals) that reportedly "repeat in time because they are kicked periodically, sort of like tapping Jell-O repeatedly to get it to jiggle". Also, here is a DNews video report discussing the methods scientists used to create this new matter. I don't understand the science, but it seems a very interesting article. Enjoy!

Edited by DrmDoc

• 3 weeks later...

What would be practical applications for matter that essentially break the time translation symmetry as in these 'time crystals'?

Maybe a clock.

“Wouldn’t it be super weird if you jiggled the Jell-O and found that somehow it responded at a different period?” Yao said. “But that is the essence of the time crystal. You have some periodic driver that has a period ‘T’, but the system somehow synchronizes so that you observe the system oscillating with a period that is larger than ‘T’.”

A self correcting atomic clock, what are the implications (swansont?).

Edited by dimreepr

What would be practical applications for matter that essentially break the time translation symmetry as in these 'time crystals'?

The applications are beyond my insight and understanding. Fortunately, as dimreeper evinces, there are people in this science discussion forum who are abundantly more knowledgeable than I on this topic.

From what i understand those time crystals can move by themselves.

So why are they called "Time" crystals?

Also what matter can turn into a time crystals?

The science is beyond me but this DNews video link eloquently explains what they are and how they differ from normal matter. The video describes the discovery, what they are and how they are produced. It appears that time crystals remain in a perpetual state of motion even at rest. The link will give you more insight. Enjoy!

Edited by DrmDoc

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a clock.

A self correcting atomic clock, what are the implications (swansont?).

What's a swsnsont? Some sort of atomic clock name? Not familiar, sorry.

But as I recall, atomic clocks from crystals have been used for decades, right? Isn't the main world clock in Greenwich such a device? Been awhile since I read about it's exact inner workings, but I believe time is kept based on the vibrations of a molecule in a cessium crystal? And it is self correcting as well? And this thing is crazy accurate. Something along the lines of plus or minus a tenth of a second every couple for decades or so. Anyway, very cool stuff. Can't help but think that CPUs will one day utilize something like this. Or micro resistors?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.