Headphone clamping force

goomba

I have kind of an odd question but here it goes. Let's say you have two different headphone pads of different thicknesses, maybe one is half as thick as the other. When wearing the headphones, would the clamping force on each side against your face still be the same, or would there be a different amount of force from each pad because of the different thicknesses?

I have kind of an odd question but here it goes. Let's say you have two different headphone pads of different thicknesses, maybe one is half as thick as the other. When wearing the headphones, would the clamping force on each side against your face still be the same, or would there be a different amount of force from each pad because of the different thicknesses?

Assuming everything else is the same, the pressure from the thickest pads would be greatest because the resistance to opening would increase with the increased distance caused by the thicker pads.

Assuming everything else is the same, the pressure from the thickest pads would be greatest because the resistance to opening would increase with the increased distance caused by the thicker pads.

Agree that the force from the thicker pads would be greater as you describe, but the pressure might be less if the area of contact is increased sufficiently by the greater deformation of the thicker pad.

Agree that the force from the thicker pads would be greater as you describe, but the pressure might be less if the area of contact is increased sufficiently by the greater deformation of the thicker pad.

Yes, that's true. Would the net pressure be greater or would it be negated do you think?

Hmmm... Wouldn't the force on both sides of your head be the same? Otherwise your head would move sideways! Or have I misunderstood which force we are talking about?

With the thicker lining, the force might be greater because the earpieces are slightly further apart (spring action of the bar over the head). But the force is not really the issue, it is the pressure that matters, and the thicker lining might well be spreading the force over a greater area giving a lower pressure and feeling more comfortable.

Hmmm... Wouldn't the force on both sides of your head be the same? Otherwise your head would move sideways! Or have I misunderstood which force we are talking about?

I agree. The phones are a spring, and the force at one end should be the same as the force at the other..

Unless the headphones are tight to the head, then the force on one side balances the force on the other.

The pressure might be different, if the effective area of the pads are different, but that's a different question.

Yes, that's true. Would the net pressure be greater or would it be negated do you think?

I think we are assuming two different sets of headphones, otherwise identical but one with thicker pads? Assuming the thicker pads are of similar shape otherwise and same material the forces or net pressure X area would be slightly greater.

But one set of headphones and a thicker pad on one side only might be what the OP is asking about and what Strange and mistermack are describing.

Yes, I took that to be what the OP is asking about.

To simplify that picture, imagine an object in a vice, squeezed as hard as it can go.

The object in the middle must be supplying an equal reaction to both sides. Otherwise it has to move.

And action and reaction are equal and opposite.