The Impeachment of Trump?

Airbrush

Take a deep breath and thing about the vice pres who would replace him....

There is no light at the end of the tunnel; the vice president wants similar things. However, Trump scares me being so close to the nuclear button. And, he seems to be picking a fight with Iran. Another war would be tragic.

Since I'm not one to say "Let's give Trump a chance", he already had many chances to pivot but never did. I will do my best to keep the idea of impeachment of Trump floating around. Bill Clinton and Richard Nixon could be impeached, so can Trump.

His recent recent interview will Bill O'Reilly, aired before the Superbowl, is telling.

Trump to Bill O'Reilly about Putin's character. You need to listen to the audio because much is missed in the transcription by the author.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/05/weve-got-a-lot-of-killers-trump-says-in-defence-of-his-respect-for-putin

“I respect a lot of people, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to get along with [Putin]. He’s a leader of his country. I say it’s better to get along with Russia than not. ... “Will I get along with him? I have no idea.”

O’Reilly then said about Putin: “But he’s a killer, though. Putin’s a killer.” Trump responded: “There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What do you think? Our country’s so innocent?”

When O’Reilly says he doesn’t know any US government leaders who are killers, Trump says “take a look at what we’ve done, too. We’ve made a lot of mistakes and references the Iraq war.

Let's examine Trump's argument. Our relationship to Russia, in Trump's mind, hinges on how well he and Putin "get along". That is the mind of a dictator, only thinking about his own pleasure and not the fate of the country he is leading. He puts himself before his country, which is blatantly self-centered, consistent with his narcissistic personality disorder. Then he successfully equates "murder" with "mistakes" and gets away with it!

When Bill questioned about Putin's murderous methods of government, Trump excuses it by equating Putin killing his opposition with the mistake of the US to go into Iraq. Then Bill pointed out that the "mistake" of going into Iraq is not equivalent to Putin murdering his opposition. Bill said "I don't know of any government leaders that are killers", but Trump just brushed the false equivalence aside like that was nothing, as he often evades a critical issue, and repeats "We've made a lot of mistakes. I've been against the War in Iraq from the beginning."

Bill: "But mistakes are different than..."

And Trump cuts him off to say, "A lot of mistakes. A lot of people were killed. There's a lot of killers around, believe me."

Then Bill O'Reilly says "Ok" and gives Trump a pass, and changes the subject to Mexico. That is how Trump consistently gets away with murder, by evading every inconvenient issue. Someone in the house and senate must be keeping a list of these instances of Trump's indulgence in fantasy for the big day of his impeachment.

Edited by Airbrush

Ninety-seven tech companies are filing a legal brief opposed to Trump's immigration EO. Rich and powerful men now oppose him on this issue and perhaps others. I seems likely he will cut off his own political head.

Trump will adjust the order. Basically he will dump everything but the "extreme vetting" part which is unclear enough as to mean anything. Then he will claim victory.

Ninety-seven tech companies are filing a legal brief opposed to Trump's immigration EO. Rich and powerful men now oppose him on this issue and perhaps others. I seems likely he will cut off his own political head.

Also 15 states (more later?) and D.C. filed against Trump's immigration ban.

Trump will adjust the order. Basically he will dump everything but the "extreme vetting" part which is unclear enough as to mean anything. Then he will claim victory.

I think "extreme vetting" means mainly that besides the usual vetting they also question and investigate the applicant's sympathy with American ideals. Is that true? What's wrong with that? What kind of extra procedures does Trump's extreme vetting propose?

There is no light at the end of the tunnel; the vice president wants similar things. However, Trump scares me being so close to the nuclear button. And, he seems to be picking a fight with Iran. Another war would be tragic.

Yes but the man would replace him things the world is 6,000 years old and noah's flood really happened and that the apocalypse is a good thing he just can't wait to happen...

Yes but the man would replace him things the world is 6,000 years old and noah's flood really happened and that the apocalypse is a good thing he just can't wait to happen...

I feel torn. On one hand is Let's Make Armageddon Great! Pence and the buck-toothed, hill people, fundamental extremist interpretation of their sacred text he represents. On the other are the alt-wealthy who fondly recall the days of separate drinking fountains, and are trying to further separate the educational goals of our society by trashing public education to make private education worth more in the world of commerce.

These aren't Republicans in power. This is how Money rules, with morally riddled scum who are a menace to everyone's prosperity except their own, the very last frikkin' people on Earth we should allow to lead a People's democracy.

Just like many of my relatives. I'm not happy with Pence as the alternative, but don't feel as endangered by him as Trump, even though my feelings about Christian fundamentalists are harsh.

I think "extreme vetting" means mainly that besides the usual vetting they also question and investigate the applicant's sympathy with American ideals. Is that true? What's wrong with that? What kind of extra procedures does Trump's extreme vetting propose?

None, he just adds the word "extreme" to the word vetting and calls it his policy. Trump has not outlined what additional steps constitutes "extreme". As for sympathy towards Western ideals that is something he often cites but has never explained how that could/would be messured.

"Two Republican senators proposed steps to slash the number of legal immigrants admitted into the United States by half on Tuesday, but the legislation, developed with the Trump administration, faces an uphill climb to get through Congress"

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-senate-idUSKBN15M1VB?feedType=RSS&feedName=newsOne

Conservatives have often argued in the past that they have nothing against immigrants and that they just want to make sure those who immigrate do so legally and aren't cutting in line. Their actions say otherwise. Trump's ban impacts legal U.S. residents. People who already did it thelegal way and waited in line. Now GOP members in the Senate are seeking to cut in half the number of immigrants allowed in period.

It will winnow out the naive and harmless. Anyone who wants to evade such a system will. It will also lead to cultural inbreeding.

Of course if America's ambition is to be a backwater in the world it sounds like a good policy.

In any case the terrorists seem to have won (they got Trump elected and the Americans frightened of their own shadows)

Now Flynn is forced to resign over the scandal talking with Russia and lying to Pence about it. Trump must have known about it, so this should be sufficient grounds for the impeachment of Trump. This scandal probably won't take down the Teflon-Trump, but in 2 years the GOP may lose control of the senate, then anything is possible. Trump seems likely to be impeached, just because he is that kind of guy, a test the limits of what is accepted kind of guy.

Get ready for a president Pence!

Edited by Airbrush

Why do you always assume the OT is the predominant text of Christianity, instead of the NT? To paraphrase Lewis Black (a jew) in response to a fundamentalist christian, the OT isn't your book, arsehole...

Edited by dimreepr

So Flynn's contacts,that we know of took place when Trump was president elect?

If Trump was aware of them and obfuscates about it can he be found guilty of aiding and abetting a criminal act or just obstructing justice?

Both, but hey, how does a minority kill a majority?

So Congress has to initiate proceedings?

It cannot be initiated by ,say a State or a private individual?

Don't all cases end up in the Supreme Court if continuously appealed?

Are the SC judges not honest professionals and to be relied on, never mind who appointed them?

Why do you always assume the OT is the predominant text of Christianity, instead of the NT?

It seems you need to study what the man (Pence) has actually said. Moontanman wasn't not being unkind to his actual views based on the public comments I've read from Pence. This isn't an OT/NT debate. It's a "this is what our VP has openly shared about his beliefs" issue.

[mp][/mp]

Are the SC judges not honest professionals and to be relied on, never mind who appointed them?

The jury's still out on that one.

So Flynn's contacts,that we know of took place when Trump was president elect?

If Trump was aware of them and obfuscates about it can he be found guilty of aiding and abetting a criminal act or just obstructing justice?

In real time as President Elect Trump tweeted "Great move on delay (by V. Putin) - I always knew he was very smart!". Also once in office Trump was breifed about Flynns actions by acting Attorney General Yates. Soon after Trump fired Yates for not defending his Travel Ban meanwhile Flynn stayed. I don't think there is anything question here, Trump knew and approved of Flynn's actions.

Is there a group that has all the dirt on Trump and is holding its hand until they can see that he is acting "responsibly"? **

Is there any evidence that information is being drip fed so as to force him to follow certain lines with the unspoken threat of ousting in one form or another.

Has the Russian blackmail threat run its course -a busted flush- and is now replaced by that of a blackmail from within the USA power structure (CIA/FBI plus various political figures -some kind of a cabal) ?

**or rather until they have lost hope of him "walking the line" (but what if they are rumbled ?-then they are complicit)

Edited by geordief

It seems you need to study what the man (Pence) has actually said. Moontanman wasn't not being unkind to his actual views based on the public comments I've read from Pence. This isn't an OT/NT debate. It's a "this is what our VP has openly shared about his beliefs" issue.

My mistake, apologies Moontanman; comprehension was never my strongest suit

"Impeachment is the process by which a legislative body formally levels charges against a high official of Government. Impeachment does not necessarily mean removal from office; it is only a formal statement of charges, akin to an indictment in criminal law, and is thus only the first step towards removal. Once an individual is impeached, he or she must then face the possibility of conviction via legislative vote, which then entails the removal of the individual from office.

"Because impeachment and conviction of officials involves an overturning of the normal Constitutional procedures by which individuals achieve high office (election, ratification, or appointment) and because it generally requires a supermajority, it is usually only reserved for those deemed to have committed serious abuses of their office. In the United States, for example, impeachment at the Federal level is reserved for those who may have committed "high crimes and misdemeanors". Several Federal officials, including two Presidents (Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton, who were both acquitted) and several judges, have been impeached over the course of US history. US President Richard Nixon resigned before Watergate scandal impeachment proceedings could begin.

"The federal procedure in the United States involves a vote for impeachment in the House of Representatives on a document known as the Article of Impeachment. Each separate grounds will be a separate Article. House members who support the impeachment then appoint managers who will act like prosecutors in the preparation for the Senate hearing. The hearing for removal is conducted in the Senate and in the case of the impeachment of a President, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States presides over the proceedings (otherwise the Vice-president presides) which are conducted as a trial with witnesses being heard under oath or affirmation. The defendant has the right to legal counsel, the right to cross-examine all witnesses and to testify in his or her defense. The senators must also take an oath or affirmation that they will perform their duties honestly and with due diligence. The hearing cannot be conducted without a 50% plus one quorum. After the hearing the deliberations are held in private. Removal requires a two-thirds majority of the Senate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment

Darn it, it takes the house of representatives to vote for impeachment. It will be much harder to get a supermajority in the house than in the senate. Trump can only be impeached if his own party gets too pissed off by him. How far can he go before that happens?

Edited by Airbrush