The Impeachment of Trump?

Airbrush

What's the probability? What will it take to impeach Trump considering the GOP has control of senate and house and supreme court? Will it take a change in 2 years when there is an election and the Dems have a chance to take control of the house and/or senate? Or could Trump become so obnoxious that even his party turns against him in less than 2 years?

It seems like Trump wants to take his office to the unknown in unpopularity. He has such opposition already, what can happen in the next 2 years? I shudder to think.

What's the probability? What will it take to impeach Trump considering the GOP has control of senate and house and supreme court? Will it take a change in 2 years when there is an election and the Dems have a chance to take control of the house and/or senate? Or could Trump become so obnoxious that even his party turns against him in less than 2 years?

It seems like Trump wants to take his office to the unknown in unpopularity. He has such opposition already, what can happen in the next 2 years? I shudder to think.

I think it will take Trump committing treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors. Popularity has nothing to do with impeachment.

Let me stick my neck out and predict that Trump will never be impeached. Not in his first term or his second.

The combination of refusing to release documentation that would allow us to see if he's using political office for personal gain and the reversal of trade agreements/pipeline proposals he and his cronies might benefit from is enough in my mind, but that's from an ethical standpoint. Trump will only be impeached if his personal gains run contrary to enough other wealthy people's personal gains. It will be a matter of who owns more congressional clout.

Watch for a tipping point, when enough of the uber-wealthy stop fighting him because they've finally positioned themselves to profit from him.

I think it will take Trump committing treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors. Popularity has nothing to do with impeachment.

Let me stick my neck out and predict that Trump will never be impeached. Not in his first term or his second.

Let me stick my neck out and predict Trump will never be elected to a second term as he will be the most unpopular American president since George W.

Let me stick my neck out and predict Trump will never be elected to a second term as he will be the most unpopular American president since George W.

At least he looked like a president and acted like one. I get the same feeling seeing Trump as president as I might feel if Mickey Mouse was in the hot seat.

Edited by StringJunky

This is what I wrote before the Election :

USA the Most Powerful Nation

Must be lead with due Caution

Preventing Global Disaster

Without Noise and Bluster

By any ABC, Trump or Clinton

There was a Man called Trump

Whose Lies no one could Lump

His Secret Sins got Spilled

Many a Hearts he Chilled

So ended up a sore Grump

Now I am wondering what to write next !

Trump already seems willing to ignore court orders what is to stop him from ignoring Congress? The pattern seems to be that Trump does something unprecedented, experts debate all various legal ramifications, Trump surrogates heckle the experts, and then Trump makes another unprecedented move and the cycle continues.

The OP asks what will it take. It would take an act of Congress and for now it appears Congress won't act. Inthe 2018 mid term Democrats have 23 Seats up for electionand Republicans only have 9 up. Big advance there for the GOP. In the House Democrfats would need to pick up 30 seats. That is very hard to do with all the gerrymandered districts. So Trump's position is actually fairly safe.

All it took to impeach Bill Clinton is he lied to congress about sex with Monica Lewinsky.

"After the 1998 elections, the House impeached Clinton, alleging perjury and obstruction of justice related to the Lewinsky scandal.[43] Clinton was only the second U.S. President to be impeached, after Andrew Johnson.

Impeachment proceedings were based on allegations that Clinton had illegally lied about and covered up his relationship with 22-year-old White House (and later Department of Defense) employee Monica Lewinsky"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton#Impeachment_and_acquittal

Edited by Airbrush

The OP asks what will it take. It would take an act of Congress and for now it appears Congress won't act. Inthe 2018 mid term Democrats have 23 Seats up for election and Republicans only have 9 up. Big advance there for the GOP. In the House Democrfats would need to pick up 30 seats. That is very hard to do with all the gerrymandered districts. So Trump's position is actually fairly safe.

It wouldn't matter if 100% of the Senate and 100% of the House were Democrats if President Donald Trump has not committed treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors. He cannot be impeached unless he has committed one of these offences.

Calls for impeachment are premature. Try not to shoot until you can see the whites of their eyes.

Come on, let them talk about it, the meltdown is so much fun to watch.

All it took to impeach Bill Clinton is he lied to congress about sex with Monica Lewinsky.

"After the 1998 elections, the House impeached Clinton, alleging perjury and obstruction of justice related to the Lewinsky scandal.[43] Clinton was only the second U.S. President to be impeached, after Andrew Johnson.

Impeachment proceedings were based on allegations that Clinton had illegally lied about and covered up his relationship with 22-year-old White House (and later Department of Defense) employee Monica Lewinsky"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton#Impeachment_and_acquittal

Perjury and obstruction of justice are high crimes. If you recall, Mr. Clinton was also disbarred, both before Arkansas courts and before the Supreme Court, and was also fined $25,000.00.

By the way, to date, only Democratic presidents have been impeached. That makes me even more confident that Trump will not be impeached.

All Trump needs to do is lie to congress about something the GOP are sensitive about. Is Trump prone to blatant lying? Would he lie to congress about a military operation that ended in total disaster because he was reckless? Is he one to test the boundaries of what is permissible by his office? Is he a loose cannon? Is he the perfect tool to use to blow everything up and then Pence and company can pick up the pieces and be heroes in the process?

He was a bad boy as a child, as he himself called "rambunctious", so that he was the only one of his siblings that was send to military academy for discipline. He did well in military high school and reached the rank of captain.

"[Donald] was an energetic child; his parents hoped that the discipline at the military school would allow him to channel his energy in a positive manner. In 1983, Fred Trump told an interviewer that Donald "was a pretty rough fellow when he was small".

​Is Trump still a "rough fellow"? He is a textbook example of personality disorder, or NPD (narcissistic personality disorder).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump#Early_life

Edited by Airbrush

It wouldn't matter if 100% of the Senate and 100% of the House were Democrats if President Donald Trump has not committed treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors. He cannot be impeached unless he has committed one of these offences.

If he is secretly collaborating with Russia that would be treason. Lots of reasonable suspension he is. No proof he isn't. (Let's see his taxes)

His conflicts of interest may easily be bribery.(let's see his taxes)

Refusing or ordering others to refuse court orders could be reviewed as high crimes and misdemeanors.

By the way, to date, only Democratic presidents have been impeached. That makes me even more confident that Trump will not be impeached.

Nixon is the last POTUS impeached and removed from office. Nixon was a Republican.

People making large investments tend not to be fans of uncertainty, whether in the market, the politics, or especially the rules.

Add to that the likelihood of international sanctions and trade wars and their huge potential influence on multinationals and the answer becomes obvious.