What is news?

dimreepr

In philosophy? I think you'd have to strip it down to knowledge in general. There are lots of folks who think knowledge is power and they withhold it to gain an edge. I think the best way to have a meaningful, cooperative, globally linked human society is if the knowledge we've gained as a species is made available to all. That includes accurate news coverage meant to inform rather than persuade. Intelligence is our forte, but only if we're accurately informed.

Network and local news is largely sensational stuff, including accidents, murders, and lesser crimes, plus a lot of misinformation and occasionally accurate facts. I find very little relates to me, and rarely watch the news; although, once upon a time I did watch the news. Then they started denying climate change, and I realized it was controlled by big business and mostly worthless.

In philosophy? I think you'd have to strip it down to knowledge in general. There are lots of folks who think knowledge is power and they withhold it to gain an edge.

I chose philosophy because knowledge doesn't always mean understanding, and power doesn't mean control (or an edge).

I think the best way to have a meaningful, cooperative, globally linked human society is if the knowledge we've gained as a species is made available to all. That includes accurate news coverage meant to inform rather than persuade. Intelligence is our forte, but only if we're accurately informed.

The caveat being fear of the future, even the most benign news coverage will contain some sort of prediction.

Network and local news is largely sensational stuff, including accidents, murders, and lesser crimes, plus a lot of misinformation and occasionally accurate facts. I find very little relates to me, and rarely watch the news; although, once upon a time I did watch the news. Then they started denying climate change, and I realized it was controlled by big business and mostly worthless.

Indeed, for the most part any news we're given has an agenda that's designed to deceive.

I guess we are lucky in the UK that we have the BBC pulling standards up. And the broadcast media are regulated which imposes certain quality standards as well.

And how does does it relate to me?

Primarily, your self-preservation and survival. As an essential survival tools, news is a means by which you are informed and prepared for possibilities and eventualities that may significantly impact your ability to protect and support yourself, your lifestyle, and your family.

Primarily, your self-preservation and survival. As an essential survival tools, news is a means by which you are informed and prepared for possibilities and eventualities that may significantly impact your ability to protect and support yourself, your lifestyle, and your family.

As a species, we've benefited proportionally as we gain intelligence from figuring out accurate ways to predict what will happen. Modern free societies require more levels of information than ever, in order to form appropriate responses that don't waste resources.

I find this recent move to equate how people feel about crime with actual statistics on crime appalling. How we feel should be shaped by the facts, not by how well the media can push on our emotions.