Need recommendations for jet engine education.

mondeluz

Hello!

I am absolutely fascinated with physics, and the new topic is ''jet engines''. I would like to understand them more, maybe even build a basic one, but don't know where to start. Any recommendations for literature or websites that could teach me about these things?

The most 'basic' jet engine is called a ram-jet.

It uses the engine's forward motion to compress air, then combusts it with fuel to give it energy/momentum, and momentum conservation imparts additional forward motion to the engine.

Anything added to this set up, like variable area and shock ramp inlets, multi stage compressors, annular/cannular combustion chambers, multi stage turbines, after-burning/re-heat, variable area exhaust or even low pressure bypass fan flow, only serve to increase efficiency and optimize the engine for a specific regime.

I do have some books on the subject, mostly dealing with military turbojets and turbofans, but it would be a chore to find them.

I would think the General Electric, Pratt and Whitney or Rolls Royce websites would have some information.

I saw people building home-made jet turbines from used car turbochargers. You need a turbocharger, then build a combustion chamber (probably with implemented cooling) and hook it to the turbocharger. Source of compressed air is probably needed to start the thing. You need a large backyard and tolerant neighbors as the thing is noisy. There are safety issues as always when you burn fuel.

Hello!

I am absolutely fascinated with physics, and the new topic is ''jet engines''. I would like to understand them more, maybe even build a basic one, but don't know where to start. Any recommendations for literature or websites that could teach me about these things?

If you live near a large city airport you can generally gain knowledge of where to get a comprehensive education from any of the management of the maintenance sections of commercial aircraft companies that have maintenance divisions at that airport.

This is not a subject to be self-taught in unless it is just a passing fancy.

Ramjet engines are the simplest but not the best for normal applications as they get efficient at very high speeds (mach 2 and above) and cannot produce thrust without airspeed.

THough, if you want to build a supersonic aircraft cruising at Mach 3 at 80,000 ft, ramjet would be a way to go.

Edited by Squawk 1200