Latex Rubber Sheet glossy surface so easy to scuff up?

Jmanm

I brought some black coloured Latex sheet material from a reputable source that sells for fashion & design etc. One side is matte & the other glossy laminated side.

After I washed off what looked like talcum powder & rinsed properly, the latex glossy side has a coarse feel to it & sticks to itself like it was glued. But I noticed it's very easy to scuff the glossy appearance up just by rubbing your fingers along it moderately.

Does this sound right for manufactured latex sheet? Or is it a sign the rubber is degraded or something?

It has been years since I had experience with latex sheet & I can't remember if it's this vulnerable.

thanks

Some rubbers are quite soft and do scuff easily.. I would imagine it is a trade off with flexibility and softness. I would also imagine that if it is going to be used for an item of clothing (a skirt, trousers, gimp mask etc) then it might need to be soft for comfort of wear. Maybe they have gone for a softer feel for comfort but have traded off some scratch resistance.

I have a sheet of natural latex right here in front of me. I have just tried it - I can scuff and mark it with the pads of my fingers just by pressing on it and rubbing. This is pretty hard latex too as it is used as a buffer/bush in a high stress engineering application.

Is it possible to 'polish' the marks off again?

Edited by DrP

I was going to have a search for surface treatments later - you beat me to it. I did wonder if it had been treated or polished... it should be able to be re treated to re-attain the shine.

The surface treatments seems very common in the fetish market, so perhaps its not actually a durable or permanent finish, or even a direct feature of the latex because the gloss is actually a surface additive... a bit like buying shoes where one is expected to polish them with some preparation.

Maybe using an aftermarket gloss preparation for latex is the solution:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Health-Personal-Care/beGLOSS-Perfect-Shine-Premium-Spray/B01BLMI7OG

Yes this will hide the defects well & add an extra level of gloss, at the expense of leaving the surface sticky.

Some rubbers are quite soft and do scuff easily.. I would imagine it is a trade off with flexibility and softness. I would also imagine that if it is going to be used for an item of clothing (a skirt, trousers, gimp mask etc) then it might need to be soft for comfort of wear. Maybe they have gone for a softer feel for comfort but have traded off some scratch resistance.

I have a sheet of natural latex right here in front of me. I have just tried it - I can scuff and mark it with the pads of my fingers just by pressing on it and rubbing. This is pretty hard latex too as it is used as a buffer/bush in a high stress engineering application.

Is it possible to 'polish' the marks off again?

Thanks for the info :)

As for polishing the marks off impossible I'm afraid. Any kind of polishing I know of just scuffs latex more because polishing is a form of abrasion & latex is highly flexible & not well suited for polishing like say a car paint job. That's my understanding.

As far as I know the glossy side comes from when the latex in liquid form is poured & cooled onto a smooth surface I think.

Silicone isn't sticky so maybe one based on that might suit your purpose.

Excellent results are achieved without manual polishing by using a water-soluble silicone like "Vivishine" (produced in Germany). This specifically for fetish rubber wear developed product can be added to a few litres of lukewarm water (1-2 tea spoons). The cleaned items are simply dipped in it for a while then pulled out and hung up to dry. That's all there is to get a long-lasting glossy shine and durable protection! ProLatex is planning to add Vivishine to its UK product line in the near future - with English instructions.

Edited by StringJunky

A soft enough polishing mitt with a light touch and an ultra fine polish made for the purpose still might worth looking at. That article suggests that people do regularly buff them selves up in latex. It actively recommends it. It must be a common thing.