how do people who live in heavily polluted areas protect themselves? Is it possible their immune system could gradually gain the power against it?

fresh

we have to face land pollution, food pollution, water pollution, and air pollution. The last one is unavoidable; it is equal to everyone.

how do people who live in heavily polluted areas protect themselves?

how does it affect their immune system ?

Any chance people affected in long run grow any ability to fight it ?

How does their immune system respond to it ?

Is it possible their immune system could gradually gain the power against it ?

we have to face land pollution, food pollution, water pollution, and air pollution. The last one is unavoidable; it is equal to everyone.

Pollution (air pollution, especially, since you've singled it out) is not evenly distributed. Air is generally far more polluted in cities and industrial areas than the countryside, and some cities are more polluted than other ones of comparable size.

There is a notion that some small amount of stressors to our immune system is good, in that it keeps the immune system engaged. Too much is bad. The question is finding that level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormesis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2248601/

Why assume this is the responsibility of the immune system?

why not ? pollution compromises our immune system. what else ?

Pollution (air pollution, especially, since you've singled it out) is not evenly distributed. Air is generally far more polluted in cities and industrial areas than the countryside, and some cities are more polluted than other ones of comparable size.

There is a notion that some small amount of stressors to our immune system is good, in that it keeps the immune system engaged. Too much is bad. The question is finding that level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormesis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2248601/

it is not small amount of stressors, instead it is big amount of them.....

heavily polluted areas, can we survive without damaging health in long run ?

it is not small amount of stressors, instead it is big amount of them.....

You should be able to extrapolate the answer from "small amount may be good, large amount is bad"

The people doing the polluting, perhaps?

Because the role of detoxification is generally ascribed to the liver + kidneys.

The immune system's job is to stop things infecting us- pollution isn't infective.

Pollution also compromises the reproductive system; do you think it's responsible for dealing with pollutants?

What about the visual system?

Then you've lost me because I thought you were being sarcastic. They either filter and/or use charged ions to take the crap out of the air.

Well it was intended to be ironic, but be my guest if it arrived sarcastically - I found it rather obvious that air purifiers would purify air. But I know, I might've been a bit quick in my conclusions. What's in a name after all, dear String ...

Charged ions; learned something new. Thanks

Edited by Function

Well it was intended to be ironic, but be my guest if it arrived sarcastically - I found it rather obvious that air purifiers would purify air. But I know, I might've been a bit quick in my conclusions. What's in a name after all, dear String ...

Charged ions; learned something new. Thanks

Tey hey can also have charged surfaces that attract the air-borne debris to them,

Edited by StringJunky

nobody gives me the suggestions about how to protect ourselves in heavily polluted areas... :blink:

You didn't ask for suggestions.

Wear a mask. Stay indoors as much as possible. Lobby the government to strengthen air pollution laws.

what is the mechanism of this masklike filter ?

sorry i take it with a grain of salt.

It seems to be a HEPA filter.

They strip particulate matter from air.

Is there a reason why you take it with a pinch of salt?

What's kind of air purifiers can successfully remove pollutants in air ?

Anything that didn't remove at least some pollutants from air wouldn't be an air purifier.

@Is there a reason why you take it with a pinch of salt?

https://www.amazon.com/hepa-air-purifiers/b?ie=UTF8&node=510192

HEPA Air Purifiers

• True HEPA Filter captures 99.97% of dust and allergens as small as .3 microns such as household dust, pet dander, mold spores and plant pollens. Charcoal filter reduces common odors from pets, smoking and cooking.
  • UV-C light technology works with Titanium Dioxide to kill airborne bacteria, viruses, germs and mold spores.

it doesn't mention SO2,CO,NO2,O3,PM2.5,PM10, if i am not misunderstand.