Electromagnetic question.

revv

Is it safe to say that all the electromagnetic spectrum is Light and the part we see is only called the VISIBLE Light spectrum and also can the electromagnetic spectrum be called Electromagnetic Light? Electromagnetic Energy? Electromagnetic Radiation? Is it all the same?

Edited by revv

can it also be called electromagnetic energy? I googled "electromagnetic energy" and it seems like they describe the same thing as electromagnetic radiation

Electromagnetic radiation is standard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation

And by standard you mean the way people usually refer to Electromagnetic energy/radiation/waves?

Edited by revv

Electromagnetic radiation (EM radiation) has many properties.

Frequency is relevant to the 'spectrum' which is a list of the whole range of frequencies of EM radiation we distinguish

We give different names to different parts (ie different frequency ranges) of this spectrum, usually connected with their origin,

So radio waves, radar, infra red, light waves, ultraviolet X rays and so on.

There is some overlap of the frequency ranges so X rays (artificial) and gamma rays (natural) cover pretty much the same range of the spectrum.

Note some are called rays because they tend to be 'line of sight' or directional at the scale of our planet Earth.

This brings us to another important property - wavelength.

The product of wavelength (l) and frequency (f) is the same constant © for all EM radiation so the higher the frequency the shorter the wavelength and vice versa.

lf = c

Old fashioned radio has a wavelength of many metres.

How did your fox hole radio work out in the end?

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/94520-fox-hole-radio-help/#entry916439

Frequency also determines the energy of the EM radiation via the equation Energy = hf, where h is known as Planck's constant.

Nasa has lots of good pics about more this and more properties.

http://science.hq.nasa.gov/kids/imagers/ems/index.html

can it also be called electromagnetic energy? I googled "electromagnetic energy" and it seems like they describe the same thing as electromagnetic radiation

And by standard you mean the way people usually refer to Electromagnetic energy/radiation/waves?

Depends on how technically accurate you want to be. EM radiation has energy as one of its properties. There may be circumstances where "electromagnetic energy" is a properly used phrased, but it's not proper to use it to describe the radiation itself.

Electromagnetic radiation (EM radiation) has many properties.

Frequency is relevant to the 'spectrum' which is a list of the whole range of frequencies of EM radiation we distinguish

We give different names to different parts (ie different frequency ranges) of this spectrum, usually connected with their origin,

So radio waves, radar, infra red, light waves, ultraviolet X rays and so on.

There is some overlap of the frequency ranges so X rays (artificial) and gamma rays (natural) cover pretty much the same range of the spectrum.

Note some are called rays because they tend to be 'line of sight' or directional at the scale of our planet Earth.

This brings us to another important property - wavelength.

The product of wavelength (l) and frequency (f) is the same constant © for all EM radiation so the higher the frequency the shorter the wavelength and vice versa.

lf = c

Old fashioned radio has a wavelength of many metres.

How did your fox hole radio work out in the end?

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/94520-fox-hole-radio-help/#entry916439

Frequency also determines the energy of the EM radiation via the equation Energy = hf, where h is known as Planck's constant.

Nasa has lots of good pics about more this and more properties.

http://science.hq.nasa.gov/kids/imagers/ems/index.html

Thanks for the replies, I ended up scraping my radio I will try it again some time in the future tho

I also bought a radio transmitter and experimented with it, its pretty neat but I still have no idea how the heck it works, I mean I get it to work but have no idea how it actually works

Depends on how technically accurate you want to be. EM radiation has energy as one of its properties. There may be circumstances where "electromagnetic energy" is a properly used phrased, but it's not proper to use it to describe the radiation itself.

Thank you!

Edited by revv

Thanks for the replies, I ended up scraping my radio I will try it again some time in the future tho

I also bought a radio transmitter and experimented with it, its pretty neat but I still have no idea how the heck it works, I mean I get it to work but have no idea how it actually works

Thank you!

You are welcome.

It is always a pleasure to discuss with someone who has a genuine interest.

Ask away if you want more detail.

I'm sure there are things you know from your experience that you might tell me one day.

:)