Why are men attracted to breasts?

I suspect that breast size is a sensitive issue with many women who are considering whether to nurse or bottlefeed their infants and that this MD expert is' date=' in part, weaseling because she WANTS TO TELL MOTHERS WHAT SHE THINKS THEY OUGHT TO BE TOLD to reduce their anxiety and encourage them to breastfeed.

[/quote']

Martin, you are right that women often need all the encouragement they can get upon many aspects of mothering prior to the child's birth, but lactation so increases the size of breasts that when it comes in after birth, most women feel as if they are about to burst. If ever a woman feels her breasts are substantial, it is then. There are other perils of breastfeeding women worry about. Many a big-breasted woman engorged in misery has looked down at her wailing infant and muttered under breath, "Suck, damn it."

Lactation is dependant upon the interelationship between mother and child. The smallest breasted woman I ever knew fed all three of her children through age four. She was a walking model for the La Leche League.

(Frequency of feeding is the key. What is emptied will fill up again. Used to, babies were not fed on demand. In fact, during the forties and fifties, nursing a child in public was considered a terribly tastless thing to do.)

I think the best way for you to find more about breast feeding is to try breast feeding yourself. It's a bit of a turn on and nothing beats experience. :D With the right horomones to get you going, you may make medical history and I, for one, really look forward to hearing your report. ;)

Now will you scientific types tell me if this is possible? Will men ever breastfeed? :eek:

To me, why men are attracted to breasts is pretty obvious. As newborns we were all attracted to breasts, to the smell and the taste of them and to every infant a woman's breast must look pretty big. I am a straight woman but I am attracted to breasts too. When I want to have a good cry, my best friend's chest looks great. She is buxom. Who wants to lay her head against an ironing board. When she pats me upon the back, I almost feel as if I could burp.

Sometimes people tend to forget that feeding is the most primal thing of all.

I think this is interesting. (First, I'd like to say, blackomen is my husband so, I'm using his account...:) OK, from a woman's perspective I guess, I think men ARE naturally attracted to breasts. Maybe not just big breasts, but breasts in general. I know when I had our son, naturally he liked my breasts because voila! food. And thats how nature is. Even still though, having been done breast-feeding him for some time, he's still about breasts. Or maybe it is a cultural or personal thing. Maybe a combo of all three. You all fail to realize though that most (I'm saying "most" because their is a few exceptions) women if they have big breasts are larger women. Now, thats not ALWAYS true, no. Definately can have boob jobs and naturally have a perfect body...(grrrrr...) I think 80-90% of the time bigger breasts means bigger women. So, is it an attraction to a bigger woman or the bigger breasts? I mean some men like big women, some don't. Personal preference again. I do think our culture and media and such do tend to put more emphasis than needed on the female anatomy. Maybe I'm just saying that as a former bra-burning feminist. :)

... I think 80-90% of the time bigger breasts means bigger women. So, is it an attraction to a bigger woman or the bigger breasts?

raw volume is not the whole story

personally I am attracted more by proportion and shape

than by how many pints or pounds of boob a woman has on her chest.

firmness is nice too, and helps give an attractive shape to the nude

unsupported breast

the same breasts that could look beautiful and full on a small woman

could be uninteresting on a large. It really is proportion and shape thing IMHO. for me anyway.

I enjoy breasts being big too, but big IN RELATION to the rest of her. the absolute poundage does not matter.

In this thread we were asking "Why are men attracted to breasts"

We were not asking in particular "why are men attracted to BIG breasts"

although some men get very enthusiastic about raw size so that certainly is a fair question.

I will tell you frankly, mrs. blackomen, that it is a mystery to me. I think it may be something like the peacock's tail, that seems to have a built in fascination for peahens. Or the male robin's RED breast, that probably female robins are hardwired to admire in their birdy brains. these things probably evolved ACCIDENTALLY quite apart of their usefulness. in fact they can be damned awkward for the creature that has to carry it around, i expect.

the whole sense of beauty is a mystery. how did humans acquire this intense sense of what is beautiful? it happens very quickly, you see something and you know it is beautiful, you dont have to think.

you become alert to beauty BEFORE you have thought.

Lactation is dependant upon the interelationship between mother and child. The smallest breasted woman I ever knew fed all three of her children through age four. She was a walking model for the La Leche League.

Female dogs' date=' unless nursing pups, dont have to run around with big teats dangling. A female dog under normal circumstances is just as streamlined as a male. If humans were functionally designed, women would not have any visible breast swelling UNTIL the baby was about to arrive and the hormones built up and they started lactating. then their breasts would swell and stay swollen only so long as needed.

Then women could engage in activities the same as men do, without the [b']encumbrance[/b] flopping around and getting in the way.

doesnt it seem stupid to have breasts all the time you arent actually nursing a baby, Coral Rhedd? added risk of cancer etc etc.

I think dogs have it right. A bitch has no visible swellings and can run around unencumbered, just as fast and agile as a male dog, until she has puppies and needs to nurse them.

So since they are impractical and counterproductive, how did the human permanently swollen breast evolve?

I think it must have evolved as a visual signal to someone, and genetic susceptibility probably co-evolved in the brain of the one receiving the signal at about the same rate that the anatomical signal evolved.

Here I am trying to be impersonal and objective about it, but from a male personal viewpoint, I like it very much that women have breasts. They are fun to fondle. I like the shape, especially of YOUNG women's firm breasts before they get saggy. I like the erectile tissue etc. Breasts are beautiful and fun and a source of pleasure.

So I would personally NOT advocate women getting themselves genetically re-engineered so they would have a light streamlined silhouette without permanent swellings, and only get swollen (like a female dog, horse, etc.) when nursing.

However, objectively speaking, it would have a lot of advantages. And would be good for women's mental health probably. I think that as a rule women are too preoccupied with their breasts. they worry about them and they compare etc. etc. So if they didnt have any permanently swollen breasts (except when nursing infants) then women might be happier on the whole.

(men would have adapt by watching more football on television, or focusing more on women's behinds, or pretty faces or whatever, but they would get along. it would be a shock at first but would probably work out)

Breasts are important because if a woman has long hair falling over her face you can always tell what side to talk to.
LOL, so when You talk to males with long hair You find Yourself on the wrong side 50% of the times ? :)

Then women could engage in activities the same as men do' date=' without the [b']encumbrance[/b] flopping around and getting in the way.

doesnt it seem stupid to have breasts all the time you arent actually nursing a baby, Coral Rhedd? added risk of cancer etc etc.

You underestimate the power of sports bras. Also, after the age of twelve or thirteen, one begins to get used to them.

Your question about cancer is an interesting one however. Last year my mother, who was 77 at the time had a mastectomy. She did not seem terribly concerned about the loss of her breast and was far more concerned about the loss of her appetite due to chemotherapy.

I think dogs have it right. A bitch has no visible swellings and can run around unencumbered, just as fast and agile as a male dog, until she has puppies and needs to nurse them.

So since they are impractical and counterproductive, how did the human permanently swollen breast evolve?

I am curious here. What about female apes? Are they "swollen" more than dogs?

I think it must have evolved as a visual signal to someone, and genetic susceptibility probably co-evolved in the brain of the one receiving the signal at about the same rate that the anatomical signal evolved.

I think the assumption is that they are visual signal to men. Hence the title of the thread.

Here I am trying to be impersonal and objective about it, but from a male personal viewpoint, I like it very much that women have breasts. They are fun to fondle. I like the shape, especially of YOUNG women's firm breasts before they get saggy. I like the erectile tissue etc. Breasts are beautiful and fun and a source of pleasure.

Why? Why is what we are concerned with.

However, objectively speaking, it would have a lot of advantages. And would be good for women's mental health probably. I think that as a rule women are too preoccupied with their breasts. they worry about them and they compare etc. etc. So if they didnt have any permanently swollen breasts (except when nursing infants) then women might be happier on the whole.

I doubt it. Past 30 or so, most women I know do not seem to spend much time thinking or talking about their breasts. I can only recall discussing breasts with (other than my daughter who is 23 and a little obsessed with aesthetics) only one woman over thirty. She was about 32 and seemed to be mostly concerned about how sensitive her nipples were to the cold. I thought she was a bit weird.

Men seem to overrate how competitive women are with each other about physical appearance. More of the ones I know want to be thin to wear the good clothes. It seems to have little to do with men. We are more inclined to be envious, in my experience, over hairdressers and clothing budgets -- but I run with a rather frivolous bunch. When we aren't trashing the Bushes, demonstrating for peace, and going to book reading fundraisers to feed the homeless, we give thought to whether or not we could possibly wear any of the Marc collection. (The answer is no.)

(men would have adapt by watching more football on television, or focusing more on women's behinds, or pretty faces or whatever, but they would get along. it would be a shock at first but would probably work out)

Unfortunately, the sexes have had to adapt to many things concerning each other -- which convinces me that, if there is a God, he/she has a rather sick sense of humor. I just wish I were sexually attracted to women.

I have not watched a football game since I was divorced (thank God :D ) nineteen years ago.

I'm attracted to my girlfriends' breasts, among other things (her feet esp.)

but I've also noticed that she's strongly attracted to other womens' as well, always talking about how she'd love to just squeeze em for a second and stuff

SHE checks out all the butts and breasts on the girls around us, I don't even get the chance

point: many, many women are often as, if not more-so, attracted to the anatomy of other women as a man, without being homosexual

It has been said that the attraction is due to a similarity between the breast shape and that of the posteria. When mating this is the area of interest to most animals and so something that reminds us of this area is sexually attractive.

A few ideas on the subject:

Not all men are especially attracted to breasts, and when they are, not always to big breasts. Personally, I think big breasts are hideous, and anything larger than an A-cup unattractive.

Human females are the only primates to have enlarged breasts.

The foot size thing in China was cultural - and probably reflected non-physical factors. In particular, foot-binding was a practice in wealthy families. It made the girls totally unfit for any sort of menial work - they even had difficulty walking - so the small feet produced by foot-binding was a status symbol. In essence, it proclaimed to the world, "We are so rich that the women in our household do not have to work." Incidentally, the story of Cinderella originated in China, before it was spread and mutated into the present version.

But now, to the meat of the question: I have seen two theories. One is that the shape of the breasts resembles the shape of the buttocks, and allowed males to adapt to face-to-face sex while still being aroused. This has a lot of problems, including the fact that bonobo females are flat-chested but have no trouble with sex in all sorts of positions.

The best theory I have seen is from the SciFi author David Brin. He notes that human evolution is largely shaped by neoteny - which is a way in evolution of "starting over" by reverting to childhood traits. Neoteny is also noticeable in dogs. In any case, in mammals these childhood traits include large eyes, a relative lack of hair, and a plasticity of intelligence. In fact, the rise of human intelligence may be the result of neoteny.

However, for these traits to evolve, it means that adults must be attracted to the physical characteristics of children. There are extra benefits here, in that these adults will also be more dedicated to the rearing of children. What this also means is that adult males need to have a signal when a female is capable of producing children. Brin suggests that breasts play this role.

His whole theory is here, and is a good read.

http://www.davidbrin.com/neotenyarticle1.html

Baldur

Well, my ex had D's and I loved them. But any bigger than that and I don't like them. I also don't like them too small. So is it just me?

I agree with the butt theory. Much like womens red lips are to make us think of their wahoooo!

Personally, I think big breasts are hideous, and anything larger than an A-cup unattractive.

Well, you can't have evolution without variation. Perhaps there's an underlying heritable factor to your (and everyone's) preferences, just as there may be for breast size, and males who prefer the "right" breast size are those that have the highest fitness?

That there is such variation, in my eyes, makes it hard to explain the attraction in cultural terms; if it's based on us learning "what's attractive" from the culture, shouldn't there be little, if any, variation among individuals, since they're all seeing the same message from the culture?

Mokele

It has been said that the attraction is due to a similarity between the breast shape and that of the posteria. When mating this is the area of interest to most animals and so something that reminds us of this area is sexually attractive.

Okay. But then, why don't men have breasts too?

Mokele:

That there is such variation, in my eyes, makes it hard to explain the attraction in cultural terms; if it's based on us learning "what's attractive" from the culture, shouldn't there be little, if any, variation among individuals, since they're all seeing the same message from the culture?

If our attractedness to breasts is based soley on cultural values, then it would seem that there would not be any variation among individuals. But that's very likely not the case, which isn't to say that culture doesn't play a role. I'm sure it's a mixture of many factors. However, aside from a couple of freaks in here :D , it seems the vast majority of men appreciate a set full and firm boobies.

i dunno why people like this question this kinda psychology its normal aint everyone has different tastes, (i'm a lil young to say this but i dont really like over large but i dont like scrawny lil things either) i for one don't look at the breasts of every female i meet, first of all, i usually look at the eyes and around the facial area THEN i look at the body! but to answer the question? i'd have to say IT'S NATURE!

"Breast size does not affect the amount of pain you will have during a mammogram"

I assume it would be the density. I have a problem with mammograms...basically because of the level at which they go to get an answer which could be found with other, less torture-like methods.

As for breast size, I guess that it would be in the genetics partly. But only partly. Society and culture would have more to do with it I suppose. But society changes, and when/if (I say "if" only because now that we are semi-stable, we might choose not to change it) it changes, what will the status of big breasts be? *I'll still like them... :cool:

Forgot to mention 2 points:

Some people believe that the fascination with large breasts in the U.S. derives in part from World War II, when many men were kept separate from women for a long time, and pin-up girls with large breasts became popular as a means of satisfying their urge for feminine companionship. In short, the pin-up girls warped their natural tendencies.

Another theory has it that the advent of bottle-feeding contributed to it - that men who never had their fill of breasts as infants still have a left-over longing for them, which has been exaggerated.

Baldur

Okay. But then' date=' why don't men have breasts too?[/quote']

When humans began to walk upright and adopted the so-called missionary position for intercourse the males required a reminder of their general target area. This is what Richard was referring to. The idea was discussed by Desmond Morris in his book The Naked Ape, but I don't recall if he was quoting research or putting it forward as an original idea.

When humans began to walk upright and adopted the so-called missionary position for intercourse the males required a reminder of their general target area. This is what Richard was referring to. The idea was discussed by Desmond Morris in his book The Naked Ape, but I don't recall if he was quoting research or putting it forward as an original idea.

This reminds me of that fable that humans only used 10% of

their body that started(would you believe) in 18'93 IIRC and was

still being quoted in pop sci books into the 19'80's.

If the non-existant halfwit, can tell the difference between top

and bottom, it can surely figure out the difference between

front and back. Besides, even in modern humans the from behind

position works quite well I'm told.

To me personally it smells of fact free science.

Cheers.