skills in general

paragaster

You may have a skill for writing poetry. You may have a skill for solving mathematical puzzles. You can improve your skills by practice. And when practice becomes a passion, you innovate over your skill to create new things.

Imagination, if logical, is also an innovation.

In my words, technology is something similar. Technology is nothing but the crop grown from the seed of logical imagination.

Is skill related to innovation? If you don't have the skill how can you know how to improve it? As the guitarist Segovia once said "If you can't play it slowly, how can you play it quickly?"

Both skills need to draw from imagination where existing knowledge may be permutated to create novel ideas or address novel problems.

I have seen people with skills innovate over the years. Is skill related to innovation. Does science and arts draw from same set of skills?

They both rely on a deep knowledge of the subject matter and creativity. After that they diverge in the skills required.

I have seen people with skills innovate over the years. Is skill related to innovation.

Being innovative in "the middle of nowhere", where people have very small knowledge, is quite easy, as you just have to find out how to slightly improve existing devices, month by month, year by year,

f.e. water flowing in river, make artificial lake, and pass it through generator (piece of iron, and wire around it in the most simplest version),

and you have some electric power..

Now, you want more and more energy from the same amount of water,

knowing E.P.=mgh, you know what is maximum which you want to achieve.

Is skill related to innovation.

Creation of innovation gains new skill..

There can be accidental innovation, accidental discovery, (they were the most common in <= XIX-century and middle of XX).

f.e. chemical discoveries, mix two or more compounds with unknown (later known) formula,

and see what happens after mixing them, or heating them, or doing something else in the middle of process (use catalyses?).

Do you received unknown compound? Good. What are its properties? What for they can be useful? Mix with other compounds and see what happens...

(it's the easiest if newly created compound have very different color, or properties from source)

Does science and arts draw from same set of skills?

Art is unrestricted by any physical laws..

One can leave paint completely empty,

and sell it for millions (?!?),

just because it's signed by his/her signature.

That's ridiculous/bizarre.

Edited by Sensei

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree. What I do think is that in order to appreciate beauty in something it is necessary to have a connection with and/or insights about it. If you know nothing about art, you are likely only able to appreciate the basics (such as likeliness to real objects) but you may miss the point in more complicated, expression in art.

The same goes for science. I do not think I can properly tell you how mind-blowingly fascinating it is to view how stupid squishiy biomolecules are able to work together in a cell to react to an almost unlimited amount of cues and result in appropriate responses the functioning of one of the simplest and yet one of the most complicated machines we know of. We have those tiny things that appear so fragile, and yet we can nuke its inside and it still won't stop working. We can even rewire it and yet it works differently to what we expect almost every time.

And while I am first to admit that I envy mathematicians and theoretical physicists for the elegance of their work, I also have to acknowledge that I simply lack the knowledge to properly see and feel it.

To address OP, obviously you need a different set of skills for whatever you want to do, with some overlaps, even if you just compare art forms. But a basic understanding is also require to appreciate either art or science.

Edited by CharonY

I see beauty in numbers and laws of Physics. I want to be adept at conducting experiments related to Math and Physics. I have written a couple of poems. I think one needs a different skill set for Arts. Math and Science need more of analysis. Art is more of synthesis.

I see beauty in numbers and laws of Physics. I want to be adept at conducting experiments related to Math and Physics. I have written a couple of poems. I think one needs a different skill set for Arts. Math and Science need more of analysis. Art is more of synthesis.

Isn't that true of most things, though, that we need the skills to be adept? I don't think being inclined towards science denies you access to the skillset of an artist, or the other way around. We have a tendency to group things into understandable patterns, but in reality most skills are blended, and it's hard to say where the rational ends and the imaginative begins. If there is a synthesis, it's in the ways our intelligence compounds itself through our skills, I think.