Current-carrying wires

Sriman Dutta

Hi,

I have this question. Can anyone please explain the answer as I am unwawre of it.

A current I1 carrying wire AB is placed near another long wire CD

carrying current I2. I1 is perpendicular ti I2. If AB is free to move then it will move :
(A) Towards left (B) Towards Right
© Upwards (D) Downwards

I don't see the correct answer listed

I don't see a correct question asked either.

:)

So I thought sensei's answer pretty imaginative and thoughtful.

Since we don't know where A, B, C or D are or which way L1 or L2 are flowing, and our answer options don't include a no effect option, suck it and see is the only sensible answer.

Edited by studiot

I don't see a correct question asked either.

:)

So I thought sensei's answer pretty imaginative and thoughtful.

Since we don't know where A, B, C or D are or which way L1 or L2 are flowing, suck it and see is the only sensible answer.

The current and field will be colinear. Cross product is zero for IL x B

Edit: I was not thinking of the proper geometry here

Thanks for the response.

After a while, I realized that for AM, I can use right hand thumb rule to get the direction of magnetic field.

And then, I can use Fleming's left hand rule to get the direction of motion of CD. I did so and got that the wire CD shall move upwards.

Here' the pic.

post-119781-0-95761600-1482472151_thumb.jpg

As you've drawn it, the field from CD is into the page on the right and out of the page on the left. The force is not upward for one of those. One could also argue that there is no field at all at AB (ideally, it's zero, but in reality there would be a field)

What if the current is in the other direction? That wasn't specified.

What if the wires are overlapping? No effect from the overlap point, and on opposite sides the force is in opposite directions. The wire would spin. What if they make an "L" shape?