I created a new design for an engine.

Cephalopod

Hello folks. I'm a 3D designer. And my father's a mechanic

Simply I have an idea for a lighter engine.

My Idea uses already available technologies.

I want to talk to someone about creating this idea.

At the same time. I don't know if it will work. But as far as I can tell the science is sound.

How do I not get it stolen?

Who should I contact?

Thank you.

First place to start is a patent search: if someone else has had the idea before, you don't need to bother trying to protect your intellectual property.

If it is truly a worthwhile and innovative idea and you want to make money with it, don't show the design to anyone without having them sign a non-disclosure agreement. Patents are very expensive, so I wouldn't patent it unless you have a working prototype, but that's your choice, obviously.

First thing I would do is find an engineer you can trust (have him/her sign an NDA, just to be sure), and have him check it for obvious mistakes. For a thorough study, you'll need to pay, and it won't be cheap. No offence, but I think it unlikely that a mechanic and a designer can pull off an optimal design, and if it isn't optimal, I highly doubt it will be an improvement over current technology. Without proper calculations/simulations, it might be hard to even guess things like efficiency and power output.

Alternatively, you could contact a mechanical engineering college and ask whether they are interested in doing a master thesis or student project. Some schools will agree with an NDA and it is rather cheap. The output is not guaranteed, but as a feasibility study, it can be quite valuable.

You could also ask a vocational school to build a prototype if you lack the machines yourself.

Unless you just want to improve technology and are not interested in marketing it yourself. In that case just show it here :)

Hello folks. I'm a 3D designer. And my father's a mechanic

Simply I have an idea for a lighter engine.

My Idea uses already available technologies.

I want to talk to someone about creating this idea.

At the same time. I don't know if it will work. But as far as I can tell the science is sound.

How do I not get it stolen?

Who should I contact?

Thank you.

According to Sebastian Blanco,

Let's start with the easy and simple numbers. The EPA says that for every 100 pounds taken out of the vehicle, the fuel economy is increased by 1-2 percent. Based on a gallon of gasoline costing $2.58, this translates to savings of between $0.03-$0.05 a gallon. Of course, 100 lbs. in a small hatchback is going to make a bigger difference than those same 100 lbs. in a Tahoe, so make reasonable assumptions about what going lightweight can offer you.

Cars are driven about 12,000 miles per year, which means 100 lbs would save between $12 and $20 per year , assuming $2.50/gallon of gas, and 30mpg. For your improvement to be valuable enough to be used, it would have to cost no more than 20% of savings. Small car engines weigh about 350 lbs. It seems unlikely your improvement can save enough to be valuable. However, I am ignorant of your invention. You should do some calculations similar to those I've done, and make up your own mind.

You should also consider the probable change from internal combustion engines for motor vehicles to electric cars, which should be occurring over the next 20 years, after which cars, trucks and buses with internal combustion engines will be very few.

According to Sebastian Blanco,

Cars are driven about 12,000 miles per year, which means 100 lbs would save between $12 and $20 per year , assuming $2.50/gallon of gas, and 30mpg. For your improvement to be valuable enough to be used, it would have to cost no more than 20% of savings. Small car engines weigh about 350 lbs. It seems unlikely your improvement can save enough to be valuable. However, I am ignorant of your invention. You should do some calculations similar to those I've done, and make up your own mind.

You should also consider the probable change from internal combustion engines for motor vehicles to electric cars, which should be occurring over the next 20 years, after which cars, trucks and buses with internal combustion engines will be very few.

It shaves off over 80% of the current weight.

First place to start is a patent search: if someone else has had the idea before, you don't need to bother trying to protect your intellectual property.

If it is truly a worthwhile and innovative idea and you want to make money with it, don't show the design to anyone without having them sign a non-disclosure agreement. Patents are very expensive, so I wouldn't patent it unless you have a working prototype, but that's your choice, obviously.

First thing I would do is find an engineer you can trust (have him/her sign an NDA, just to be sure), and have him check it for obvious mistakes. For a thorough study, you'll need to pay, and it won't be cheap. No offence, but I think it unlikely that a mechanic and a designer can pull off an optimal design, and if it isn't optimal, I highly doubt it will be an improvement over current technology. Without proper calculations/simulations, it might be hard to even guess things like efficiency and power output.

Alternatively, you could contact a mechanical engineering college and ask whether they are interested in doing a master thesis or student project. Some schools will agree with an NDA and it is rather cheap. The output is not guaranteed, but as a feasibility study, it can be quite valuable.

You could also ask a vocational school to build a prototype if you lack the machines yourself.

Unless you just want to improve technology and are not interested in marketing it yourself. In that case just show it here :)

Very helpful. Where do I find a rock solid NDA?

Could you elaborate on the mechanical college method? Thanks again.

It depends on the college. If it is a combustion engine, a master thesis is probably most suited. One student or a team of students could make calculations, check the design, do simulations, strength and heat analysis...

Of course, if a bad student is assigned to your project, you won't get anything useful. With any luck, there is an expert at a college near you who wants to take it up. NDA's are common for this (at least in some places)

I would advice you to call an engineering college near you and ask. Be prepared to meet with the students regularly.

80% saved of a 350 lb engine is 280 lbs, which gives between $33.60 and $56 per year savings in fuel. However, removing that much weight from the engine would allow a lighter weight vehicle, increasing the amount of fuel saved and the cost of the vehicle, unless your solution requires expensive materials. I'm not asking questions, just making observations.

Toyota has made a free piston generator, which might be used to power a hybrid, which reduces the weight of an internal combustion engine by eliminating the mechanical drive mechanisms, including connecting rods, drive shaft, flywheel, transmission, differential, drive shaft and axles. Here is a youtube video of the engine.

Edited by EdEarl

80% saved of a 350 lb engine is 280 lbs,

158 kg (350 lb) minus 80% is... 32 kg remaining..

I am quite skeptical.

Combustion engines are not without a reason so massive.

Car also would have ruined center of mass.

So simple replacing older engine by yours is not enough.

There would be needed to redesign entire car to take into account lighter mass of engine in project.

There is no such thing.

Do you heard about Tesla-Edison patent war?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns

Robert Kearns had patent for windscreen wipers, and still spend 12+ years in courts, fighting with the largest (and rich) car companies, which used his patent without license..

If I were you, I would buy 3D printer (it will be cheaper than hiring people), and print small scale prototype engine.

It does not have to be rock solid and working forever to check whether it's working at all.

3D printers may also be useful for the manufacture of castings.

The free piston engine used in a hybrid may eliminate 80% of the weight of an engine, by replacing the mechanical drive train with electric motors and (graphine) wires. However, I've seen no evidence they intend to manufacture such cars, perhaps because EVs seem to be the winning technology.

Toyota has made a free piston generator, which might be used to power a hybrid, which reduces the weight of an internal combustion engine by eliminating the mechanical drive mechanisms, including connecting rods, drive shaft, flywheel, transmission, differential, drive shaft and axles. Here is a youtube video of the engine.

Cool, kinda like an APU for planes. Drive off of batteries which you can plug in at work or w/e and only when needed use the gasoline to recharge your banks.

I am quite skeptical.

There would be needed to redesign entire car to take into account lighter mass of engine in project.

There is no such thing.

Robert Kearns had patent for windscreen wipers, and still spend 12+ years in courts, fighting with the largest (and rich) car companies, which used his patent without license..

If I were you, I would buy 3D printer (it will be cheaper than hiring people), and print small scale prototype engine.

It does not have to be rock solid and working forever to check whether it's working at all.

A plastic, low quality, horrible finish combustion engine? I don't think 3D printing is suitable for such a prototype.

My idea is lighter stronger and does not utilize 3D printing I really need the number of a Automotive engineering development lab of some sort. I 'm not bullshitting here. For the sake of science can someone help? I need someone connected. Who the hell do I talk to?

I also get that my claims are wild. But the technology utilized is already existing. One of you must know someone. Please ..I've called colleges no one will respond after lighter engine. They think it's bullshit. Funny I'm not bullshitting. Before you assume. I never got to the explaining my invention bit. No one gives a shit. I feel like l medieval scientists trying to explain the cell phone to someone who's never heard of running water let alone electricity.

It's bloody Christmas. Someone show some good will and help me out.

I am quite skeptical.

There is no such thing.

I'm not redesigning the car I developed a lighter engine. I will leave the rest to the car builders. I'm here to make a contribution to science.

80% saved of a 350 lb engine is 280 lbs, which gives between $33.60 and $56 per year savings in fuel. However, removing that much weight from the engine would allow a lighter weight vehicle, increasing the amount of fuel saved and the cost of the vehicle, unless your solution requires expensive materials. I'm not asking questions, just making observations.

Over 80% Possibly 90% I don't need scepticism I need contact information . The more I answer questions the more chances of my ideas being stolen. The idea is brilliant. Just point me in the right direction for science.

Edited by Cephalopod

Look at hiring a fabricator or filing a patent.

This is more the place to have your ideas put through a thresher. We can talk about feasibility and practicality if you feel comfortable providing details, otherwise not much we can do for you.

If initial cost is a factor, look at arranging private meetings to professionally present at least some aspects of your invention. It isn't that others don't want to assist you, but that they want to make sure it is worth their time and possibly money involved.

You are not the only one making bald claims like that, and most of them turn out to be bs, so the reactions you get are understandable.

If you are willing to make the investment: if you have a patent, they are more likely to take you seriously.

You could also offer to pay up front for services, so they don't risk that you won't pay after it turns out to be bs.

Like suggested earlier: schools are interesting, because even when they don't believe you, it could be an interesting exercise.

Over 80% Possibly 90% I don't need scepticism I need contact information . The more I answer questions the more chances of my ideas being stolen. The idea is brilliant. Just point me in the right direction for science.

I don't think I said anything skeptical. I showed you how you might calculate fuel savings from weight reduction, whereupon you boasted your idea would save 80% of the engine weight. I calculated the fuel savings from 80% reduction in weight and said there could be additional savings in vehicle weight. I also pointed to a Toyota engine that might achieve 80% weight reduction. Finally, I said that the industry seems to be moving to electric vehicles, which may make your idea difficult to sell. Your comment, "I don't need skepticism," and no other, seems to indicate you think you can make a lot of money from your idea. I doubt it, because you don't seem to understand what a person with money to back ideas wants. They want a person who can take an idea and develop it into a finished product. They don't invest in ideas, they invest in people, people who have more than one idea, because starting and running a company to produce an engine will require a many ideas and hard work.

• 3 weeks later...

It shaves off over 80% of the current weight.

If you can take that much off of the weight of an engine that would truly be valuable. I go with Bender in that you should do a patent search (which requires a lawyer as well). It is just a waste of time if it has been previously patented unless you have actually made this work. But 80% off of the weight of an ICE is highly unlikely.

You go to a lawyer for good NDA. This isn't something to be left to chance of you believe your new design would work.

Do not pay attention to the idea that electric cars are going to take over the world. I'm quite sure that they will be extremely important in high population and inner cities. But batteries are and always will be a problem. Though perhaps using graphene they can make supercapacitors that will contain a large enough charge and can recharge extremely rapidly.

The "improved" batteries that are around and being developed cause immense environmental damage since they use rare earths.

I don't think I said anything skeptical. I showed you how you might calculate fuel savings from weight reduction, whereupon you boasted your idea would save 80% of the engine weight. I calculated the fuel savings from 80% reduction in weight and said there could be additional savings in vehicle weight. I also pointed to a Toyota engine that might achieve 80% weight reduction. Finally, I said that the industry seems to be moving to electric vehicles, which may make your idea difficult to sell. Your comment, "I don't need skepticism," and no other, seems to indicate you think you can make a lot of money from your idea. I doubt it, because you don't seem to understand what a person with money to back ideas wants. They want a person who can take an idea and develop it into a finished product. They don't invest in ideas, they invest in people, people who have more than one idea, because starting and running a company to produce an engine will require a many ideas and hard work.

Don't allow yourself to be insulted by people who have a better idea. We all have better ideas and very few of them work.

It depends on the college. If it is a combustion engine, a master thesis is probably most suited. One student or a team of students could make calculations, check the design, do simulations, strength and heat analysis...

Of course, if a bad student is assigned to your project, you won't get anything useful. With any luck, there is an expert at a college near you who wants to take it up. NDA's are common for this (at least in some places)

I would advice you to call an engineering college near you and ask. Be prepared to meet with the students regularly.

Computer simulations would be more than sufficient to determine if there is a real improvement. Lower weight is of little value if you lose more efficiency.

• 1 month later...

Forget cars - you should be looking at aircraft -that's where weight reduction is really important.

Check http://douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/museum.htm. I think he's got pretty well every unusual engine configuration ever invented.

(I spent quite a while designing a crankshaft that would let me use double ended pistons a few years ago - sure enough, when I looked, there it was on Douglas Self's site - 1877. Designed by Charles Parsons no less - same guy who invented the steam turbine.)

Forget cars - you should be looking at aircraft -that's where weight reduction is really important.

Check http://douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/museum.htm. I think he's got pretty well every unusual engine configuration ever invented.

(I spent quite a while designing a crankshaft that would let me use double ended pistons a few years ago - sure enough, when I looked, there it was on Douglas Self's site - 1877. Designed by Charles Parsons no less - same guy who invented the steam turbine.)

+1 for the weblink.

A fascinating site.

I know Self as a talented electronics designer and former writer of Wireless World Articles, but I didn't know about his mechanical dimension.