For all Chess geniuses

DrK - download the 'PlayMagnus' app! I got it last week (it's free)... You play Magnus Carlson at different ages as he grows up... You can win points by beating him on lower ages which then gives you points to spend on tips and take backs at harder levels.... I mean... he was GM at 14 and is world champ now at 25 or so... so it is quite challenging... I am struggling to beat him at 10 years old.... might have to win some easier games then cheat at age 10 by using take back and tips.

It wasn't in the "Chess" section of this forum, it was in the "Brain Teasers and Puzzles" section. You have to look for some way in which you are being tricked or misdirected.

And the fact that the jpg has SCAM written in the bottom right hand corner :)

I did not notice the 'scam' either, lol.

Thinking back I think I have seen it before on a youtube chess vid... Doh! My chess memory is terrible (like my chess, lol)... it is a fine puzzle.... although it does make me want to give you a legal whipping at chess though!... Pawn E4!

It wasn't in the "Chess" section of this forum, it was in the "Brain Teasers and Puzzles" section. You have to look for some way in which you are being tricked or misdirected.

True - but it helps to know that there is a chess section and that the poster knows it as well.

Am I being super-dim? Where is the chess section?

I have no idea. But the suggestion was that because the puzzle was not in the chess section, I should have known that it was not just a straight chess problem. That sort of suggests that there is a chess section.

I have no idea. But the suggestion was that because the puzzle was not in the chess section, I should have known that it was not just a straight chess problem. That sort of suggests that there is a chess section.

There is no chess section. Didn't mean to cause such confusion.

I guess it would have been easier if i write

Pawn can be promoted to ANY OTHER PIECE except king after reaching rear rank.

But it's irrelevant to what pawn can be promoted..

If whites will move pawn, promote it, black king will have to kill it (because of check made by white tower, and no other possibility to move black king).

Then movement of white queen D8 will be checkmate.

Edited by Sensei

As a chess player, this is ridiculous lol, I would never think of that solution. How is one supposed to know you are also allowed to promote to the opposing team's pieces?

Also, it specifically needs to be a black knight as any other piece could either interfere with the rook discovered check (queen, rook, pawn) or take the rook (bishop, queen, pawn)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've dug up this thread because I was looking at the Rules of Chess. I was asked what the latest change in rules was, and somebody alleged that the rules were originally dictated by the Catholic Church, and that promoting a pawn to a queen was not allowed if there was still the first queen on the board. The reason was that this would make the king a bigamist. *sigh*

Anyway, somebody also claimed that the latest change was that originally the rule was that a pawn could be promoted to any of queen, rook, knight or bishop. A change was made to add of the same colour and that this was initiated by a problem similar to this one, where promoting to a piece of the opponent's colour gave checkmate. This change was around 1800, so this problem is perhaps not so daft as we all thought. Sorry, no references, so it might all be testicles.