URGENT Plant Biology Microscope

eugeniuschoi

We have to identify the following leaf cross-sections, what environment it is from, and relate the identified plant's environment to its stomate distribution. Could anyone help us or tell us how we can approach the issue of identifying these plants?

We tried our best to take pictures of the slides we were looking at under the microscope, but we apologize for the lack of clarity.

post-124589-0-95475000-1480792507_thumb.jpg

post-124589-0-45289300-1480792508_thumb.jpg

I don't think you need to identify the plants but the kind of environment they reside in. They are responsible for controlling the movement of gases in and of the leaf. I think the most important one in this case will be water vapour.

In a humid environment would a plant require more or less dense stomate distribution to control its water balance?

In a dry environment would a plant require more or less stomate distribution to control it's water balance?

Edited by StringJunky

Oh they are also involved in release of water vapour? Thank you!

Also, what other characteristics about the plant and its living environment would high/low stomatal density indicate?

I don't know. Perhaps some other more knowledgeable person in this field will answer.

Edit: One thing I can think of is: if the stomata density is heavily biased or exclusive to the top surface which would indicate a water plant with floating leaves e.g. a water lily.

Edited by StringJunky