Source{d}

fiveworlds

A guy called Petros Koklas from source{d} emailed me about how he had read my github page asking if I was willing to work in Paris in frontend development for a company called zen.ly and if I knew React or wheter I would be willing to learn React. Is source{d} a scam or not and if not do you think it is worthwhile learning React right now??

Edited by fiveworlds

It is a real company(sourced.tech), but people have also used their name as part of a scam.

Should be fine as long as you exercise caution and check any addresses and phone numbers against external sources.

React looks fairly popular at the moment. Probably wouldn't hurt to learn.

Edited by Endy0816

If it was real it would have been great six months ago before I started college I don't intend on leaving college to pursue it anyway. This is the email I received.

Hi David,

I am a Developer Relations Engineer at source{d}, we are working on improving developer recruitment. We have analyzed your open source contributions on Github and we think that you could be a good fit for the position as Frontend Engineer at Zenly (https://zen.ly/). Since we are actively helping them search for the right engineer to tackle their specific challenge, I thought I’d reach out.

Zenly is developing a location sharing app which is built on top of a powerful, precise and extremely battery-efficient continuous location technology. Although they are very discreet, they have already generated several million downloads, and their active user base is growing by 7% each week since more than a year. They reached a million users twice as fast as Twitter and are on a long-term mission to reach a billion. Their HQ is located in Paris, and they also have offices in SF. They have recently raised €22M with the first investors of Twitter, Uber and Snapchat. TechCrunch news here: https://t.co/PLVXxHOmOW

Even though Zenly's main product is a mobile app, a lot of Web components have been developed and many others are in the making. Their frontend stack is based on React (w/ Redux when necessary) written in ES6 bundled by Webpack using Babel for transpilation, Flow for static typing and ESlint for linting.

Their backend relies heavily on Apache Kafka as the central message bus and Google Protobuf as the data format. It is written entirely in Go using a microservices architecture and communication with clients and internal standalone services is done using gRPC (RPC layer on top of HTTP/2 and Protobuf). The production datastores currently include Cassandra and Redis.

For the data pipeline, they built a custom dynamic processing messaging system on top of Kafka and Protobuf (basically rebuilding some parts of the Confluent platform on top of Go and Protobuf instead of Java and Avro) which they plan to open-source. All real time processing and ETL is done in Go as well.

Long-term data is stored in Hadoop and post processing is currently using Spark (Exploration in Python, Production code in Scala).

Deployment-wise, everything runs on Docker in Kubernetes (managed by Google Container Engine). A CI builds and publish the docker images into a registry for further deployments which allows them to deploy/rollback multiple times a day without constraints.

The main mobile applications are native and they are migrating their iOS app to Swift planning to finish it before the end of this year. Moreover, amongst their plans is releasing a web version of the application that will be written in JavaScript with React.

They are a team of 40 people, 35 of which are part of the engineering team. The latter is divided in different groups, Backend, Data Engineering, Data Science, Android, iOS and QA. They follow a personalized agile methodology and take good care of following good practices to deploy reliable and reusable code - fully automated testing is an obsession for them.

They are looking for an experienced Frontend Developer with a great knowledge of JavaScript to work on both internal and external frontend products:
- Internal products include frontend interfaces to team-wide available tools including analytics/debug/dataviz and future products they have in mind.
- External products include a WEB version of the Zenly app as well as multiple custom viewers for Facebook/Twitter etc.

Although existing frontend apps are made using React, it is not an absolute requirement as common frontend principles are more important. In addition, any data visualization appeal/experience would be a plus (most of the dataviz involves a combination of D3 and Mapbox).

You will be joining a team of engineers who have worked on MacOS, and Android OS for several years, and a Data Science team with multiple PhDs in Paris, France. Besides, the only person who left them in over a year was poached by Facebook's iOS team.

The salary ranges between 40.000€ and 60.000€ but they are flexible depending on your background and experience. They are also willing to sponsor Visa and help with the moving costs and the accommodation.

Should this be something you wish to explore, please let me know and we can set up a call to check if this is a good fit for you and Zenly.

Our technology is constantly evolving, so if you think that this position doesn’t match your profile or interests please accept my apologies and feel free to let us know. I will be more than happy to discuss other opportunities that could be a better fit for you. If you are not interested at all, just drop me a line, and I won’t contact you again.

Best regards,

---

Petros Koklas, Senior Developer Relations Engineer
http://sourced.ai

Yeah, .ai is one of the fakes. If you take a look at the page, you can also see that the links are schizo. Some going to .ai and others going to the correct .tech.

I don't think so. Eiso Kant is the ceo of sourced according to the site and that is also who sourced.ai is registered to. Also https://twitter.com/Worvast/status/702057898671742977

If the official twitter account is saying it then go by that instead.

Does have all the marks of a fake though. Copy most of the page, change as few links as possible and then register under another's name. Actually getting flagged by my browser whenever I navigate to it.