Ideal way to dry washed dishes in a commercial kitchen?

james_pain

Hi everyone,

Today I got a trial for work as a kitchen hand job -this is for part-time work. I have a casual job as a kitchen hand already.

However in this new workplace while after washing the dishes they do not give time to air dry the dishes and instead they use a wet tea towel to dry them instead. I've been told in my current casual job that you shouldn't dry dishes with the tea towel but allow them to air dry instead. What should I do?

What do you think is the most logical thing to do and do you think drying dishes with a wet tea towel is a big hazard problem? Should I discuss this with the manager if I were successful for the job?

In my food safety certificate class they told us to air dry washed dishes but I forgot the logic/reasoning behind doing it this way instead of using a tea towel.

Anyone understand the science/logic behind this particular procedure?

I've been told by my commercial cookery trainer that there is no such thing as common sense in the hospitality industry and I couldn't agree with him more!

Edited by james_pain

Dishes washed in boiling water will dry faster than those washed in lukewarm water. You shouldn't need to be drying dishes with a tea towel they should air dry very quickly if washed in boiling water. Usually restaurants have a conveyer belt washer and dryer system.

Edited by fiveworlds

Hi everyone,

Today I got a trial for work as a kitchen hand job -this is for part-time work. I have a casual job as a kitchen hand already.

However in this new workplace while after washing the dishes they do not give time to air dry the dishes and instead they use a wet tea towel to dry them instead. I've been told in my current casual job that you shouldn't dry dishes with the tea towel but allow them to air dry instead. What should I do?

What do you think is the most logical thing to do and do you think drying dishes with a wet tea towel is a big hazard problem? Should I discuss this with the manager if I were successful for the job?

In my food safety certificate class they told us to air dry washed dishes but I forgot the logic/reasoning behind doing it this way instead of using a tea towel.

Anyone understand the science/logic behind this particular procedure?

I've been told by my commercial cookery trainer that there is no such thing as common sense in the hospitality industry and I couldn't agree with him more!

You only need one contaminated plate wiped with a tea towel to contaminate the rest. Basically, by not using one you are restricting the opportunities for cross-contamination. Rinsing with very hot water, as fiveworlds said, is the most hygenic way to dry them quickly.