Why do flies always try to land themselves in your face in the summer?

james_pain

What do they gain from doing this? Sounds like a pretty risky manoeuvre...

Does anyone know?Is there something in our faces which they eat/consume as food?

What evolutionary advantage does this action/behaviour provide to the flies?

Edited by james_pain

Flies are attracted to Co2.

Yes, shouting and waving your arms is the best way to keep the little critters swarming around you because it increases the size and concentration of CO2 you mix in the air around you.

Edited by StringJunky

.....Females of many black fly species, however, require the protein from a blood meal in order to form and lay eggs. When they are in a maternal mood, they sample the breezes for excess carbon dioxide, a sure sign of animal respiration. Following the trail of carbon dioxide and breath odors, they track down their intended victim.

http://curiousnature.info/A1-Blackfly.htm

Black flies would make sense, as they lay eggs in animal hosts thanks for that. So it appears that most likely only flies that actually attack humans are going to be CO2 attracted, whereas other are likely to show aversion. Question is how it is the case for houseflies and others that lay eggs in decomposing substrate (as they ware also likely to emit CO2). (this lack of knowledge also betrays the fact that I am obviously not an outdoors biologist....).

Edited by CharonY

Black flies would make sense, as they lay eggs in animal hosts thanks for that. So it appears that most likely only flies that actually attack humans are going to be CO2 attracted, whereas other are likely to show aversion. Question is how it is the case for houseflies and others that lay eggs in decomposing substrate (as they ware also likely to emit CO2). (this lack of knowledge also betrays the fact that I am obviously not an outdoors biologist....).

Flies per se is a bit too general in hindsight. Possibly, could there be some other chemical cue needed with the carbon dioxide, in either case, to attract each type to their desired target, say gaseous sulphides, in the the case of flies that like rotting stuff?

I have read about the mozzie attraction to CO2 before. It still has to be more complicated. I used to go fishing with a mate of mine. He loved me going because all of the mozzies ate me and left him alone. lol... Some people attract them more than others.... maybe I just stink.

My own personal experience is that flies are mainly attracted to moisture. Where I live (Tenerife) the climate is very dry, usually a very low humidity. When I have had a shower and emerge with my head wet, I am tormented by any flies in the house who find it an instant target, and I usually finish up with the absurd attempt at swatting myself on the head for 20 minutes. When I've dried off, they lose interest.

They also make a beeline (if I'm allowed to mix insects) for any pools of water, such as in the sink or on a work surface where something has dripped.

Edited by DrKrettin

Flies per se is a bit too general in hindsight. Possibly, could there be some other chemical cue needed with the carbon dioxide, in either case, to attract each type to their desired target, say gaseous sulphides, in the the case of flies that like rotting stuff?

I have read about the mozzie attraction to CO2 before. It still has to be more complicated. I used to go fishing with a mate of mine. He loved me going because all of the mozzies ate me and left him alone. lol... Some people attract them more than others.... maybe I just stink.

There is at least one study that found that in addition to CO2 black flies use other cues (Schofield & Sutcliffe) J Med Entomol 1996, though it was not clear which part of the breath could be involved. No idea whether there is something newer around.The only other thing that I remember is that pattern also played a role (striped and spotted were less attractive).

Back when I was a kid we had some ponies and later a horse, the flies would always go for the animals eyes, nose and mouth looking for any moisture they could find.

post-88603-0-12774300-1480133302_thumb.jpg

http://insects.about.com/od/HouseholdPests/f/Do-Flies-Really-Vomit-And-Poop-When-They-Land-On-You.htm

. . . . "Unfortunately for the house fly, it is not equipped to chew solid foods. Most insects that feed on solid food – beetles, for example – have chewing mouthparts, with which they can properly masticate their meals into tiny, digestible bits. House flies were instead blessed with sponge-like tongues. Only in flies, we call their tongues labella (the singular is labellum, but the fly has a matched pair)."

"House flies "taste" with their feet . . . . . When a house fly comes upon something that seems like it might be yummy (keep in mind that dog poop is the kind of thing house flies find yummy), it will reflexively stick out its labella and press it against the potential food item to investigate. Liquids can be slurped up without much effort. Inside the house fly's head is a structure called a cibarial pump (or food pump), which generates a suction to draw the liquid up through channels in the mouthparts (called pseudotrachea).

So how does the house fly make a meal out of meat, or any other solid food (like dog poop)? It uses those same mouthparts to liquefy the entrée."

"The house fly dabs the tasty morsel with digestive enzymes by bringing up a little regurgitated food and saliva. The enzymes begin breaking down the solid food, gradually turning it into a slurry the house fly can then lap up. Meat milkshake, anyone?"

"Now, think about the last time you had a stomach flu. Anytime you vomit repeatedly, you run the risk of dehydration, so you have to drink a lot of fluids to replace the ones you lost. Flies are no different. This liquid diet means flies require a lot of water. And when you drink a lot of water…well, let's just say what goes in, must come out, right? So flies do a lot of defecating, too."

The CO2 is likely what allows the flies to locate the animals which then provide the needed moisture through their eyes, nose and mouth openings. With their hydration needs satisfied they can then dine, mate and then lay their eggs on the surrounding feces that these one-stop fly supply emporiums provide.

And when they cannot find a horse or elephant or lion they will settle for us.

post-88603-0-86348400-1480134628.jpeg