Is time a real thing or just a meter? (a continuation discussion )

Randolpin

I put the continuation here for those who want to threat time philosophically.What is time? is it an independent entity or just a measurement dependent on the changing property of matter? can we test or detect it? or it's just on the mathematics of G.R.

Answers are very much appreciated.We should cultivate ideas here so that we can contribute to the advancement of philosophical as well as scientific knowledge.We know science is the search for truth.Thank you.

Edited by Randolpin

I'll start off with repeating my rather un-philosophical remark that time is a comparative measure of the progress of physical processes (or the "speed" of physical processes, or, as you say, of the changing property of matter); just as length is a comparative measure of the extension of physical bodies (pieces of matter).

And as before, I disagree with the insertion of the word "just", because measurements of "time" and "length" are very much physical -despite the fact that they relate to human concepts.

Randolpin,

I would suggest that you start reading here. This was a topic in this forum already.

But of course, if you have other insights or questions, feel free, but I for myself do not want to repeat the whole discussion.

Firstly why can't it be both?

That is an entity in its own right that can be used as a 'meter'.

It should be noted that the dimensions of one measurable physical property of (infinite) empty space are kg(metre)2(amps)-2(seconds)-3 in SI units

Since there is no matter in empty space, yet it (empty space) has properties, matter alone is not enough to fully describe time.

However it can also be seen to be connectable to other fundamental quantities so it can therefore be used (an is used) as a meter.

Since you haven't specified what you mean by a 'meter' I will define it.

A meter is a quantity that if known, by measurement or otherwise, can be used to deduce or calculate other unknown quantities, perhaps in conjunction with further known quantities.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually time is the fourth dimension, we live in three dimension passing through the fourth one, what means: we have complete control of the hree spatial dimension, go left or right, up or down, ahead and back at will and desire, but in time we can only go foward and see the past, that's we we are only passing by it and not living on it as the three spatial. Having sayed that, everything in the univer happens in time, every event with their duration, if we didn't have time we would be stuck in now and nothing would happen, even a lot of physical formulas are based on time like v= v0 + at or a = (v-v0)/(t-t0) or f=m.a (indirectly, since we need time to calculate "a" (acceleration)), etc. Our year for example, is defined by 365 days of sun-pivoted rotation, if time was inexistance there would be no day to start with, no hour, no minute, no second, etc and nothing would happen, we would be like a paused movie. So, we can conclude time is real.

Actually time is the fourth dimension, we live in three dimension passing through the fourth one, what means: we have complete control of the hree spatial dimension, go left or right, up or down, ahead and back at will and desire, but in time we can only go foward and see the past, that's we we are only passing by it and not living on it as the three spatial. Having sayed that, everything in the univer happens in time, every event with their duration, if we didn't have time we would be stuck in now and nothing would happen, even a lot of physical formulas are based on time like v= v0 + at or a = (v-v0)/(t-t0) or f=m.a (indirectly, since we need time to calculate "a" (acceleration)), etc. Our year for example, is defined by 365 days of sun-pivoted rotation, if time was inexistance there would be no day to start with, no hour, no minute, no second, etc and nothing would happen, we would be like a paused movie. So, we can conclude time is real.

Time is the fourth-dimension but in a detailed sense.Here:

Since time is the measure of how much change matter had undergone, so: Time= Amount of the Matter had change (MC)

So by this view, we can conclude that the 4th dimension is the changing ability of matter not time itself.

Time is the fourth-dimension but in a detailed sense.Here:

Since time is the measure of how much change matter had undergone, so: Time= Amount of the Matter had change (MC)

As you have not established that time is "the measure of how much change matter had undergone" then your conclusion is not justified.