One World

geordief

Well ,one universe actually.

Physically speaking ,does it seem more correct to view the observable universe (+ deducible universe?) as a connected entity or as a conglomeration of parts that have a degree of independence?

Does it matter? Is it just what it is and is there no need to define it according to our preconceptions?

Edited by geordief

How does it benefit you to think of the universe as "a connected entity

Personally?
It is aesthetically pleasing . (it might be a bit unsettling if the opposite was true)
Everything may have been connected in the past.(around the time of the Big Bang ,perhaps) Do they regroup after a period of time - as the universe comes "full term" ?
I am sure(well I imagine) that must be one of the questions in astronomy that remain to be resolved.
Yes , there may be no practical effect depending on the answer to my question but I am well aware that sometimes questions that seem entirely without practical benefit can turn out to have practical consequences. I have no idea if it might be the case here.
Edited by geordief

One world doesn't equate to one universe, philosophically.

The idea of Gaia is reflected in John Donne's poem.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

I guess it depends what aspects of the universe you are looking at. Each planet or star or galaxy (or cluster) can be considered an independent object. On the other hand, cosmology often treats the whole thing as a "gas" that is cooling and decreasing in density.

One world doesn't equate to one universe, philosophically.

The idea of Gaia is reflected in John Donne's poem.

No ,they are different concepts.

Even so , I would say that the "one world" you are referring to describes a subjective or societal reality.

Whilst it is very different from the objective reality i was trying to address, I still think there is a connection.

I believe that the subjective reality is a subset of the objective reality. Other people ,( I think I have understood) see this the other way around but I think that is to put the cart before the horse and ,as a belief system (if I have understood it right) it would bear a relationship to a view that places the observer at the centre of everything .

Is that solipcism? (I have no philosophical training)

I guess it depends what aspects of the universe you are looking at. Each planet or star or galaxy (or cluster) can be considered an independent object. On the other hand, cosmology often treats the whole thing as a "gas" that is cooling and decreasing in density.

Does not the very notion of "considering" imply an external vantage point that forms a link with whatever one might wish to think of as "separate"?

Perhaps "relative separateness " is alright but "absolute separateness" does not work.

No ,they are different concepts.

Even so , I would say that the "one world" you are referring to describes a subjective or societal reality.

Whilst it is very different from the objective reality i was trying to address, I still think there is a connection.

I believe that the subjective reality is a subset of the objective reality. Other people ,( I think I have understood) see this the other way around but I think that is to put the cart before the horse and ,as a belief system (if I have understood it right) it would bear a relationship to a view that places the observer at the centre of everything .

Our world is connected whatever you believe; if we (humans) delete all pest's, how do we know that wouldn't bring about our ultimate destruction?

Is that solipcism? (I have no philosophical training)

No.

The question of Gaia was explored by Issac Asimov in his foundation series but only to the extent of the galaxy, it may extend to the universe, but I doubt the death of earth would have much influence on the universe.

Edit/ Although I have no more idea than the death of pest's.

Edited by dimreepr