Methanol plant design

nehc

basically if you are or were a chemical engineering student, you'll know what im talking about

My simple question is,

after all the synthesizing a process flow, we're suppose to the the material and energy balance..

we have done some literature review on the operating parameters and stuff..

but for the reaction part, we have trouble determining the conversion..gas phase catalytic reaction, (methanol production)

Since we are dealing with 3 reactions in parallel, how are we suppose to go about it?..

is there any good reference that i can use to determine the equilibrium of the reaction?..

anything that gives me idea on how to determine the conversion thanks..

basically if you are or were a chemical engineering student, you'll know what im talking about

Next time, even if we "know what you're talking about", please take the time to spell it out anyway... We take time to answer your question. It is only polite to take time to ask a good question, and give enough information. Thanks.

My simple question is,

after all the synthesizing a process flow, we're suppose to the the material and energy balance..

we have done some literature review on the operating parameters and stuff..

but for the reaction part, we have trouble determining the conversion..gas phase catalytic reaction, (methanol production)

Since we are dealing with 3 reactions in parallel, how are we suppose to go about it?..

is there any good reference that i can use to determine the equilibrium of the reaction?..

anything that gives me idea on how to determine the conversion thanks..

I could pretend that I don't know what you're talking about, because you do not even tell us what the reactions are, not what the feedstock is... But, I can at least take a guess:

Are we talking about:

(1) Methane Steam Reforming,

(2) Water-Gas Shift,

and then (3) the formation of methanol from syngas?

Please confirm before anyone spends a lot of time writing something that is not relevant.

Thanks for replying.

It's formation of methanol from syngas. To narrow down the scope, we only have to deal with 3 reactions.

CO+2H2 <-> CH3OH (1)

CO2+H2<->CO+H2O (2)

CO+CH3OH<->CH3OOH (3)

I have yet to get the composition and flow rate from the reformer part, so i guess it's better that i work with a basis

Based on the literature that I've read, the high conversion can be achieved with stoichiometric ratio of 2, which is also defined as:

([H2]-[CO]) / ([CO]+[CO2])=2,

Working pressure is in the range of 5-10MPa, let's set it as 10MPa, and working temperature is in the range of 200-300 degC, let's set is as 260 degC

I need to work out the conversion so that I can carry out with the mass and energy balance..From my perspective, I think I need to work out the equilibrium constant and the fugacity as well, but i'm still looking for journals and reading...I would be great if someone can guide me through this..

• 3 weeks later...

Next time, even if we "know what you're talking about", please take the time to spell it out anyway... We take time to answer your question. It is only polite to take time to ask a good question, and give enough information. Thanks.

I could pretend that I don't know what you're talking about, because you do not even tell us what the reactions are, not what the feedstock is... But, I can at least take a guess:

Are we talking about:

(1) Methane Steam Reforming,

(2) Water-Gas Shift,

and then (3) the formation of methanol from syngas?

Please confirm before anyone spends a lot of time writing something that is not relevant.

not so tough now huh?..