Equilibrium Equation for H2SO4

What is an equilibrium equation for H2SO4 and how can i maximise the production rate of H2SO4 by changes in temperature, pressure, concentration and catalysts

Also are there any references (preferably websites) where i can reveiw this information to cross check its acuraccy

there are two industrial methods of producing H2SO4

these are:

1.Contact process

S + O2 -> SO2 (increase pressure, temperature for greater rxn rate,)

SO2+1/2O -> SO3 (increase pressure, temperature for greater rxn rate)

SO3 + H2O + H2SO4 -> 2 H2SO4 (increase pressure, temperature for greater rxn rate)

2.Lead Chamber process (not as easy to do)

SO2 + 2NOHSO4 + 2H2O -> 3H2SO4 + 2NO (decrease pressure, increase temperature for greater rxn rate)

NO + ½ O2 -> NO2 (increase pressure, temperature for greater rxn rate)

NO2 + NO -> N2O3 (increase pressure for greater rxn rate)

NO2 + 2H2SO4 -> 2NOHSO4 + H2O (increase pressure, temperature for greater rxn rate)

SO2 + ½ O2 + H2O -> H2SO4 (increase pressure, temperature for greater rxn rate)

for more information of exactly how these steps are performed, go here:

http://basc.chem-eng.utoronto.ca/~basu/industrial_production.htm

i remember reading somewhere a few months back that there is a catalyst involved in the former method. i did not see this when i found/devised the information shown above.

you can't just ask what's the equilibrium equation of sulfuric acid

do you just mean the equation that represents the dissociation of sulfuric acid in water?

you were given the pKa's of sulfuric acid, judging by your response, you didn't know what they are

the "p" function is just the negative log of something. pH is the negative log of [H+] , the concentration of protons. pKa is the negative log of Ka, the acid dissociation equilibrium constant.

plug -1.92 into your calculator and hit 10^x (or inverse log), that number is Ka.

Ka = [H+] / [HA] , [H+] is the conc. of protons that have dissociated and [HA] is the concetration of the acid that didn't dissociate, that ratio is Ka.

Since sulfuric acid can donate two protons, there are two equilibria to deal with and two Ka's.

Google "Henderson-Hasselbach" (+ "equation").

ok thanks budullewraagh your help was great and the site is usefull...i have just started the equilibrium topic and we were asked to desing a poster (yes i know posters are lame but still its better than essays) that will tell a manufacturer about the process of making H2SO4 and its equilibrium in this process...we were also asked how can temperature, pressure,concentration and catalysits affect this process and how this can be used to maximise the H2SO4 production....and no i don't want full essays that i could copy but i am seriousely lacking in the reaserch department and any help would be great...thanks

• 4 years later...