Industrial level Production of Vitamin D and Erythromycin

sharonmic

Hi Members:

My name is Sharon and I am just new to this forum.

I have an important presentation in my school regarding the "Industrial production of vitamin D and Erythromycin:

I searched the internet to find some information on this, but I could not

succede.

I would be very happy if anyone of you can tell me either a source or send me some detailed material on this topic.

The Question is:

What is the procedure involved in the production of

1. Vitamin D and

2. Erythromycin

on the industrial scale?

If you guys have any material relating to this, please email me to:

sharon.micb@gmail.com

Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon

To find info on the internet you need to be persistant. Try different search phrases and words, and look well beyond the first page of results.

Here's what I found:

Vitamin D:

There are 2 major forms of vitamin D. Cholecalciferol (vitamin D-3) is produced in the skin after sun exposure. It is produced commercially by extracting 7-dehydrocholesterol from wool fat, followed by UVB irradiation and purification. Ergocalciferol (vitamin D-2) has a different side chain than cholecalciferol (i.e., a C24 methyl group and a double bond between C22 and C23) and is commercially made by irradiating and then purifying the ergosterol extracted from yeast.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/135/11/2739S

The commercial production of vitamin D3 is completely dependent on the availability of either 7-dehydrocholesterol or cholesterol. 7-Dehydrocholesterol can be obtained via organic solvent extraction of animal skins (cow, pig or sheep) followed by an extensive purification. Cholesterol typically is extracted from the lanolin of sheep wool and after thorough purification and crystallization can be converted via a laborious chemical synthesis into 7-dehydrocholesterol. It should be appreciated that once chemically pure, crystalline 7-dehydrocholesterol has been obtained, it is impossible to use any chemical or biological tests or procedures to determine the original source (sheep lanolin, pig skin, cow skin, etc.) of the cholesterol or 7-dehydrocholesterol.

Next the crystalline 7-dehydrocholesterol is dissolved in an organic solvent and irradiated with ultraviolet light to carry out the transformation (similar to that which occurs in human and animal skin) to produce vitamin D3. This vitamin D3 is then purified and crystallized further before it is formulated for use in dairy milk and animal feed supplementation. The exact details of the chemical conversion of cholesterol to 7-dehydrocholesterol and the method of large-scale ultraviolet light conversion into vitamin D3 and subsequent purification are closely held topics for which there have been many patents issued

http://vitamind.ucr.edu/milk.html

Erythromycin:

There seems to be some info in this book, but they don't show all the information. Maybe you could see if it's available in a library near you.