Do We Need So Many Other Animals on Earth?

To H.sapiens:

Why did you necro this depressing thread?

Why is this depressing? I read and enjoy all the comments everyone made. There are quite a few questions in my head now: "When we can build a model that identify all the factors needed for a sustainable ecology", "What would be a more efficient way to tackle this problem: Drive straight to the environment issue, or make more assessments to the peripheral topics that influences this, such as human's nature (greed)"

From my point of view, as long as human continue to chase after wealth more than they need to survive (and to a certain degree of enjoyment), we are destined to extinction.

We are intelligent, but we are losing sight of the big picture. We are born without any purpose in life. If there is a purpose, I would say we, and every living beings on Earth, exist to keep the life cycles on Earth. Don't freaking destroy it just for our own species' temporary convenience.

Edited by Ango

• 3 weeks later...

It's depressing because of the original post. Absolutely horrible that people can think like that.

And yet there were numerous posts - the majority, I think - from other members that implicitly, or explicitly deplored the attitude of the OP. Surely that affirmation of a positive, responsible, respectful approach to the biosphere is to be celebrated and welcomed, not viewed as depressing? If you only heed the negative you must have a sad life.

And yet there were numerous posts - the majority, I think - from other members that implicitly, or explicitly deplored the attitude of the OP. Surely that affirmation of a positive, responsible, respectful approach to the biosphere is to be celebrated and welcomed, not viewed as depressing?

The OP makes this thread depressing because it reminds me of all the bovine excrement that people think.

The OP makes this thread depressing because it reminds me of all the bovine excrement that people think.

Thorham, in the hope of changing your outlook, that is just a crap way to view life! The thread demonstrates that not everybody talks BS; the thread demonstrates that some people care; the thread demonstrates that there is hope. How can those observations be depressing? I'm going to be dead in the next ten years - fifteen tops - quite possibly a lot less. Do you think I should sit around being depressed at the prospect?

Thorham, in the hope of changing your outlook, that is just a crap way to view life! The thread demonstrates that not everybody talks BS; the thread demonstrates that some people care; the thread demonstrates that there is hope. How can those observations be depressing? I'm going to be dead in the next ten years - fifteen tops - quite possibly a lot less. Do you think I should sit around being depressed at the prospect?

I'm not depressed, I just don't like reading such crap, that's all. Depressing is perhaps a strong word.

It is a question of "laugh or cry". On another forum I visit there is a thread where some one is advocating that all predators should be prevented from predating prey.

It is a similar mindset I feel and really beggars belief .

Edited by geordief

It is a question of "laugh or cry". On another forum I visit there is a thread where some one is advocating that all predators should be prevented from predating prey.

It is a similar mindset I feel and really beggars belief .

What was the forum, is it related to Ecology? I would be interested.

And I feel the same. And after I read this manga, it has strengthened my belief. Hey at least someone out there think like me and put his thoughts into work:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Doubutsu-no-Kuni

(It's English name is Animal Land, you can find the hardcopy in Amazon)

It's a story of a kid who tries to change this main law in the world: "The strong eats the weak". How nice it is for all creatures to live in harmony? And how hard it is to make it happen? It's a very enjoyable, emotional read and might make you rethink your concepts in life.

P/S: I know it's a manga and here's a science forum, but this is my most favorite manga and I can't help but recommend it and hope more people would read it. People may find it hard to read through a science book but it's very easy to be engrossed to a story like in manga :)

It's a story of a kid who tries to change this main law in the world: "The strong eats the weak".

That's not the main Law.

The Law of Heaven On Earth: "Eat And Be Eaten"

The Law of Hell On Earth: "Eat Or Be Eaten"

They are not the same Law.

Edited by overtone