• 1 year later...

Why do you keep bringing up these types of issues? Why are they so important to you?

www.scienceforums.net/topic/64493-making-your-credentials-known-to-new-comers/

Now I recognize his picture. michel fled France and moved to Greece to avoid the Sûreté's charges of identity theft.

Now I recognize his picture. michel fled France and moved to Greece to avoid the Sûreté's charges of identity theft.

Not France: Belgium.

Why do you keep bringing up these types of issues? Why are they so important to you?

www.scienceforums.net/topic/64493-making-your-credentials-known-to-new-comers/

Because when i meet someone in real life, I give my professional card. The person looks at the card, looks at me. I take a look at his card, I look at him. Then the discussion begins.

Even if I enter a bar and begin discussing with everybody without presenting myself, people will say "who is that guy?". That will happen even if I am the owner of the establishment.

This Forum, as many others, don't work that way. Here there is bunch of peculiar individuals who hide behind masks. When they are asked to present themselves they respond as if it was an intrusion in their privacy, which is not, it is the most natural thing to do.

----------------------

O.k. guys, i am making an obsession.

after reading this old thread, I realize that, no doubt about it.

Forget it.

---------------------

And again I cannot see this thread under "My Content".

Not France: Belgium.

Because when i meet someone in real life, I give my professional card. The person looks at the card, looks at me. I take a look at his card, I look at him. Then the discussion begins.

Even if I enter a bar and begin discussing with everybody without presenting myself, people will say "who is that guy?". That will happen even if I am the owner of the establishment.

This Forum, as many others, don't work that way. Here there is bunch of peculiar individuals who hide behind masks. When they are asked to present themselves they respond as if it was an intrusion in their privacy, which is not, it is the most natural thing to do.

This argument is by far the most callous post I have ever seen! If I walk into a bar my conversation isn't logged on a globally connected server for everyone to see. In the extreme, if I give my business card to someone it isn't made available to terrorist factions or government agencies or every other firm on the planet. There are dangerous people, some who do not like what scientists are involved in, and they do go to measures to find the people they wish to harm and do so (whatever way that might be). There are also those that are less honest and manipulate the information to their own ends.

In the more likely scenario--an employer might see you saying something stupid in the moment and them holding it against you. With respect to employers, there are such things as non-disclosure agreements and if an employer were aware of an individuals activity in a forum they might ask that person to stop posting. Even if there hasn't been a breech of confidentiality it could still constitute a conflict of interest. According to my last non-disclosure I was not even allowed to mention to anyone what it was I was doing, it was nothing special but all the same.

What the hell do you care?

I'm just saying there are those who work in sensitive areas and it is more relevant than your need to know!

I agree with Xittenn here, I am currently doing my final year project about blocking misbehaving users in anonymizing networks like Tor. Sometimes it is very necessary for one to be anonymous while doing or posting some sensitive issues over the internet where privacy and personal freedom is needed and if you're not on an anonymous network which encrypts your original IP address one can easily figure out what websites you log in daily, one can easily trace all your activities over the internet and this would be a big problem if someone threatens you and ask you for some ransom in return.

People do stupid things just for fun, there are stupid people out there and no one likes to be their victims. The benefit of revealing one's credentials and identity is going to come at the cost of that person's life. I think we should make our claims by substantiating it with genuine links from scientific oriented journals so that people don't have any problems with the credibility of the claims being made.

I have to say i use my avatar everywhere i go on the net that allows an avatar, when I change it i change it everyplace, my current avatar is a poke of humor at myself. On another forum I can choose my own title under the avatar and It says "Hello Low IQ'ers" if anyone is familiar with this particular avatar you know that is what Bullwinkle always said when he opened up his "Mr. Know it All" segment and he never got anything right... He is the quintessential idiot and totally unaware of his lack of knowledge...