Will We Start Marrying Robots One Day?

russellaw88

Deep learning uses artificial neurons to make decisions, and learns by examining examples of things, for example AlphaGo examined thousands of Go games played by masters, then played itself thousands of times to build up a knowledge of Go games in its neural net.

Yes, but AFAIK, AlphaGo doesn't rewrite its own code.

This is not promising for the future of the species. And frankly uhm.... that's a very interesting thought that you would marry your phone. To leave this without the sudden urge to vomit and rant about how freaking disgusting many of the thoughts that just popped into my head about this concept are, I'd say that this is the worst kind of loneliness...... Because how lonely do you have to be to marry an inanimate object that is incapable of showing affection. This is the exact reason why I suggested that robotic wives be provided to people like this because at least then it is halfway natural in the fact that the object is at least semi intelligent and resembles a human being highly, and instead of gobbling up your attention like a black hole gobbles stars it encourages you to live life and find happiness. Not to insult the poor man but JEEZ.

Really posted for the laughs, people have married all kinds of odd things. More than enough reproduction occurring, not going to hurt anything for people to have some fun or just be their crazy human selves.

As for me, I believe I have found my soulmate :wub:

eMNYjDHm.jpg?2

Edited by Endy0816

Yes, but AFAIK, AlphaGo doesn't rewrite its own code.

True, but it can learn pretty much anything without its code being modified. Current limits on computers, and neural net technology limits the total amount it can learn.

Really posted for the laughs, people have married all kinds of odd things. More than enough reproduction occurring, not going to hurt anything for people to have some fun or just be their crazy human selves.

As for me, I believe I have found my soulmate :wub:

eMNYjDHm.jpg?2

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Oh wow.....

True, but it can learn pretty much anything without its code being modified. Current limits on computers, and neural net technology limits the total amount it can learn.

Uh what? AlphaGo can only learn about Go.

From the abstract of the Nature paper:

Here we introduce a new approach to computer Go that uses ‘value networks’ to evaluate board positions and ‘policy networks’ to select moves.

Maybe, you could retrain the neural net to play a different game, but you would require a new software pipeline to obtain data, i.e. which is surely code modification. Reinforcement learning (i.e. playing games of Go against itself) selects strategies for winning at Go, only.

Uh what? AlphaGo can only learn about Go.

From the abstract of the Nature paper:

Maybe, you could retrain the neural net to play a different game, but you would require a new software pipeline to obtain data, i.e. which is surely code modification. Reinforcement learning (i.e. playing games of Go against itself) selects strategies for winning at Go, only.

It has a pipeline that knows Go, that attaches to Deep Mind, that decides which moves to make. Deep Mind is a general purpose neural net.

nature.com

The IBM chess computer Deep Blue, which famously beat grandmaster Garry Kasparov in 1997, was explicitly programmed to win at the game. But AlphaGo was not preprogrammed to play Go: rather, it learned using a general-purpose algorithm that allowed it to interpret the game’s patterns, in a similar way to how a DeepMind program learned to play 49 different arcade games2.

Many couples find ways to overcome anatomical issues ;)

I think the real ethical questions will come when robots have more generalized ai's. Right now we're still at AI as a single purpose tool stage.

People have married inanimate objects and animals before, so a definite precedent exists that marriage is not restricted to two human beings.

• 1 month later...

Let us not forget Asimov's laws.

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Should we not rewrite them as:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot may not hurt another robot unless it conflicts with the first law.

3. A robot must obey orders given by humans unless it conflicts with the first or second laws.

4. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Third law.

Should we not rewrite them as:

2. A robot may not hurt another robot unless it conflicts with the first law.

3. A robot must obey orders given by humans unless it conflicts with the first or second laws.

4. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Third law.

4. A Sentient robot must protect it's own existence so long as it does not conflict with the first law, and if a human is to die/a catastrophic event that would cause great loss of life/knowledge/materials, the third law.

If we do not give these sentient robots a value for their own lives how can we expect them to value ours? And why would they ever follow the third law if they were disposable? Non sentient machines for disposable tasks, Once something is sentient it has rights as a sentient being capable of logic, because by that said logic if it were to not have rights it would fight very hard for them.

4. A Sentient robot must protect it's own existence so long as it does not conflict with the first law, and if a human is to die/a catastrophic event that would cause great loss of life/knowledge/materials, the third law.

If we do not give these sentient robots a value for their own lives how can we expect them to value ours? And why would they ever follow the third law if they were disposable? Non sentient machines for disposable tasks, Once something is sentient it has rights as a sentient being capable of logic, because by that said logic if it were to not have rights it would fight very hard for them.

To convince people, the battle may be necessary. However, a robot may be able to copy its mind for upload into another or additional bodies. This being the case, an archive can be maintained to assure any robot can, again, come alive. Given this possibility, the death of a robot is different than death of a person.

To convince people, the battle may be necessary. However, a robot may be able to copy its mind for upload into another or additional bodies. This being the case, an archive can be maintained to assure any robot can, again, come alive. Given this possibility, the death of a robot is different than death of a person.

Then quite possibly. But still we must carefully manage this.

We DO NOT WANT the Matrix. Though that's cool as hell we do not want the matrix....

Then quite possibly. But still we must carefully manage this.

We DO NOT WANT the Matrix. Though that's cool as hell we do not want the matrix....

Wishing reality to be different is futile. I'm not sure what part of the Matrix you fear; in any case, reality is rarely the same as fiction. Although, sometimes reality is more weird than fiction.

I am not convinced, but some people think our minds may be uploaded to computer memory. Subsequently, a computer might simulate us.

• 4 weeks later...

Will We Start Marrying Robots One Day?

Excerpt:

Top academics in the UK have claimed that within 30 years, humans will be legally allowed to marry robots and the marriages will be recognized by the state. Next year will see the first ‘sex-robots’ available to the public and some have claimed this will be a catalyst for our acceptance of AI as life.

https://spaceinvader.me/2016/12/21/lawfully-wedded-robots-robot-marriages-are-coming/

Thirty years? It won't be that long, I don't think. More like ten or so.

Ever seen that movie called Her? With Joaquin Phoenix? Guy calls in love with an AI Operating System? It was decidedly strange, but plausible nonetheless.

Lots of upsides to marrying a robot who would be programmed to meet your every whim and desire. And few downsides, once you get past the whole not a real person thing. LOL.